spc
uniqs

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

Re: Maybe a strategy here

Yes we do want CapEx its the quick buck holders that cry when AT&T spends a penny on anything, as that may impact them getting a .44918671616 dividend vs a 44918671617 one.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Unfortunately, it's the short-term traders who are driving much of the market right now. Look what happens every time a company doesn't report increasing profits. Their stocks take a hit, never mind the fact that we're in a down economy, so, naturally, profits will be down. Sure, the economy will bounce back and profits will improve, but these guys want their return NOW, the long-term health of the company be damned.

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

And it pisses people like me who bought into companies because they overall have a good opinion of them, hell I lucked out getting in on Ford at 2 bucks and changes a share, and look where it is now. And yet I hold it still.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

And it also pisses me off because it prevents needed infrastructure upgrades, as well as R&D on radically new products. These things cost money but don't necessarily pay off in the short term. But they're very necessary if your company is going to stay competitive. But the day traders don't care about any point past the moment they unload a particular stock. All they want is a quick stock price jump, and reinvesting profits doesn't do that.

I swear, if the current investor mindset had been in effect years ago, organizations like Bell Labs and XEROX PARC would have never existed.

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Exactly, They only care about the stock long enought for it to go up a 1/10th point, only to sell it and then its AT&TwHO?