spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

[modem/router] How to access 6100G's interface while connected?

I reconfigured my 6100G into bridge mode.
While I'm not connected to the internet/authenticated w/ pppoe, I can access modem's admin page. However, once I'm connected it's no longer reachable.
What can I do to access it while connected?
--
Check out my awesome city of MxxTopia »mxxtopia.myminicity.com/ind or »mxxtopia.myminicity.com (the more people visit, the bigger it is)

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

Re: [modem/router] How to access 6100G's interface while connect

There are ways to access a bridged modem

What is the make and model number of the router
What is the ip address of the router
Are there two unused ethernet ports on the router
What is the ip address of the westell

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

for simplicity sake of this conversation, there is no router. computer is connected directly to the modem.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

If there is no router being used I have no suggestions

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

and if there's a router, then what would your suggestion be?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to MxxCon

said by MxxCon:

Please answer as many as you can.

#1 What is the make and model number of the router. If this does not apply, reply with N/A.

#2 What is the ip address of the router? If this does not apply, reply with N/A.

#3 Are there two ethernet ports on the Westell?

#4 If there is only one ethernet port on the modem: Do you have a hub or a switch that not IP aware (not a Layer 3 switch)?

#5 What is the ip address of the westell?

#6 Does your computer have at least two NICs?

#7 Do you know how to setup a Static IP on you computer?

#8 If you do not know how to setup a Static IP on your computer: It would help to know what OS and Version you use. For example Windows XP Home SP3.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

ugh. somebody who has ~6500 posts and have been a member of this site for ~12 years, you'd understand is not a total noob.

said by aefstoggaflm:

said by MxxCon:

Please answer as many as you can.

ok, here it is.
said by aefstoggaflm:

#1 What is the make and model number of the router. If this does not apply, reply with N/A.

Linksys WRT54GS running Tomato firmware with wan port disabled connected into Netgear WNR3500L running SamKnows firmware connected into westell 6100G modem.
said by aefstoggaflm:

#2 What is the ip address of the router? If this does not apply, reply with N/A.

SK is 192.168.1.1, Tomato is 192.168.1.2
said by aefstoggaflm:

1 port
do Westell 6100G even exist with 2 ethernet ports?
said by aefstoggaflm:

#4 If there is only one ethernet port on the modem: Do you have a hub or a switch that not IP aware (not a Layer 3 switch)?

no
said by aefstoggaflm:

#5 What is the ip address of the westell?

said by aefstoggaflm:

#6 Does your computer have at least two NICs?

yes, with one nic disabled
said by aefstoggaflm:

#7 Do you know how to setup a Static IP on you computer?

yes. it is already set to 192.168.1.100
--
Check out my awesome city of MxxTopia »mxxtopia.myminicity.com/ind or »mxxtopia.myminicity.com (the more people visit, the bigger it is)

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

4 edits

Ok.

#1 I am happy to say you can access the modem combo while it is in bridge mode, but I am sad to say you can't access the net and the modem combo at the same time without, either:

a) A modem combo with at least two LAN ports.

b) OR a hub/switch (that is not Layer 3 aware).

#2 Once you have a modem combo with at least two LAN ports...

This assumes that you have two NICs, one of those NICs is a wired NIC, the mobem combo and the router behind it are two separate subnets.

a) Make sure the NIC that is disabled is NOT connected to anything.

b) That NIC gets enabled.

c) That NIC gets setup with-in the same subnet as the modem combo. For ex IP 192.168.100.2, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

d) Quick quote from »Linksys FAQ »How do I access a modem that is connected to the WAN port of a Linksys Router?

quote:
For security precautions, unbind File and Print Sharing and the Client for Microsoft Networks from the second NIC.
e) That NIC gets a wired connection to the modem combo with at least two LAN ports.

--

#3 Without a modem combo with at least two LAN ports, once you get a hub/switch (that is not Layer 3 aware), an example..

This assumes that you have two NICs, one of those NICs is a wired NIC, the mobem combo and the router behind it are two separate subnets, and only a power supply is connected to the hub/switch.

a) Disconnect the WAN port of the router that is connected to the modem combo that has only LAN port.

b) The wire from the modem goes to the port next to the uplink port of the hub/switch.

c) The wire from the WAN port router goes to any other port other than the uplink port OR to the port next to the uplink port of the hub/switch.

d) Make sure the NIC that is disabled is NOT connected to anything.

e) That NIC gets enabled.

f) That NIC gets setup with-in the same subnet as the modem combo. ex IP 192.168.100.2, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

g) Quick quote from »Linksys FAQ »How do I access a modem that is connected to the WAN port of a Linksys Router?
quote:
For security precautions, unbind File and Print Sharing and the Client for Microsoft Networks from the second NIC.
h) A wire connects from that NIC to any other port other than the uplink port, to the port next to the uplink port, or to the port in use by the WAN port router.

--

said by MxxCon:

said by aefstoggaflm:

do Westell 6100G even exist with 2 ethernet ports?

I have no idea.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24

I'm pretty sure the 6100Gs only have a single Ethernet port, no USB port on them.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

they gave me that fancy ethernet+usb cable..

Jacken

@66.251.61.x

try to connect your computer directly to the 6100 and configure your computer's ip addres to the same network. Since your 6100's ip address is 192.168.100.1, then configure your computer's ip address to 192.168.100.2. After that, open a browser and type in 192.168.100.1 and it should take you there. Works for me. Good luck.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to MxxCon

Also, now that I think about it...

After you get a have the hub/switch setup between your modem combo (w/ only one LAN port) and your RJ-45 WAN port router, if you did not have a computer with two NICs, and since you have three routers (Westell 6100G, Linksys WRT54GS running Tomato firmware, Netgear WNR3500L running SamKnows firmware) - See the info at »Re: Checking Westell 327w status with netgear rout

Note: In the example diagram they don't show a hub/switch between the modem combo and the RJ-45 WAN port router, because that modem combo has at least two LAN ports - but seriously I think you can figure it out, since you are not a newbie...
--

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Jacken

said by Jacken :

try to connect your computer directly to the 6100 and configure your computer's ip addres to the same network. Since your 6100's ip address is 192.168.100.1, then configure your computer's ip address to 192.168.100.2. After that, open a browser and type in 192.168.100.1 and it should take you there. Works for me. Good luck.

While that is corect: Unfortunately, this will cause a loss of Internet access.
--

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to aefstoggaflm

well, i have 2 routers. i reconfigured 6100G into bridge.

my routers need to be inline because of the bandwidth and traffic measurements they record and report to fcc. having both routers on different subnets would cause double-nat and that's another complication in my setup I'd like to avoid..
i don't have access to another hub/switch, nor am i really inclined to buy one just for this...
Also while reading »Linksys FAQ »How do I access a modem that is connected to the WAN port of a Linksys Router? that you posted I noticed this:

If the WAN Connection type is DHCP, then access to the modem should be possible without changing the settings in the Linksys when the Internet is in an "up" state. When the Internet is "down", aka DHCP released, then the modem cannot be accessed. In PPPoE, access to the modem is not possible through the Linksys.
this sounds exactly like what's happening here..i was previously using Cablevision's OOL and there connectivity was provided with DHCP and i could access my modem on 192.168.100.1(which is why I tried to configure this 6100G for the same IP).
worst case i could enable admin interface on WAN and give it a mile long password.

seems like so much hassle to get such a basic info
--

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

said by MxxCon:

well, i have 2 routers. i reconfigured 6100G into bridge.

my routers need to be inline because of the bandwidth and traffic measurements they record and report to fcc. having both routers on different subnets would cause double-nat and that's another complication in my setup I'd like to avoid..

#1 Let us review your network..

a) Your modem combo that is in bridge modem is at 192.168.100.1

b) Then you have two RJ-45 WAN port routers with-in the subnet of 192.168.1.* (the one handling the connection to the net is at 192.168.1.1 and the one that is acting a hub/switch/wap is at 192.168.1.2).

#2 Umm..

192.168.100.* and 192.168.1.* are two subnets.

--

If you wanted to you could have the modem combo not in bridge mode but with the Netgear WNR3500L running SamKnows firmware connected behind it, that would be double nat.

said by MxxCon:

i don't have access to another hub/switch, nor am i really inclined to buy one just for this...
Also while reading »Linksys FAQ »How do I access a modem that is connected to the WAN port of a Linksys Router? that you posted I noticed this:

If the WAN Connection type is DHCP, then access to the modem should be possible without changing the settings in the Linksys when the Internet is in an "up" state. When the Internet is "down", aka DHCP released, then the modem cannot be accessed. In PPPoE, access to the modem is not possible through the Linksys.
this sounds exactly like what's happening here..i was previously using Cablevision's OOL and there connectivity was provided with DHCP and i could access my modem on 192.168.100.1(which is why I tried to configure this 6100G for the same IP).
seems like so much hassle to get such a basic info

I agree, it can be a hassle at times.

While I have a hub/switch that I could put between my modem combo and my RJ-45 WAN port router, I know how to switch back and forth between settings.

To be more exact:

If my connection to the net is down, switching between Static Public IP and Static LAN (same subnet as the modem combo Westell 6100F) IP is not a big deal.

--

Like wise: If your connection to the net is down, switching between PPPoE and Static LAN (same subnet as the modem combo Westell 6100G) IP should not be a big deal.
--

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to MxxCon

Thinking about your issue even more:

#1 I think I know why you can access the modem combo while it is in bridge modwm when you are not connected to the internet/authenticated w/ pppoe:

My educated guess is: You did not disable the DHCP Server in the modem combo, as directed at »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How do I use a router with the Westell 6100?

#2 If you wanted to get the modem combo out of bridge mode and you wanted avoid Double NAT, please see the info at »reporting.samknows.com/bridging.html

--

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

#1 I did disable dhcp in the modem.
I think it doesn't work because with pppoe there's one extra network interface in play. Once I login with pppoe, that interface becomes active and gets default gateway status. Whereas with plain dhcp it's the same wan0 interface that handles all the traffic.

#2 my current setup is like in the 4th picture.
I have it that way because my WRT54GS has larger wifi antennas compared to SK, that can reach my other laptop and fight through the interference of ~30+ other AP in my building. SK gets crushed here.
--

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

4 edits

said by MxxCon:

#1 I did disable dhcp in the modem.
I think it doesn't work because with pppoe there's one extra network interface in play. Once I login with pppoe, that interface becomes active and gets default gateway status. Whereas with plain dhcp it's the same wan0 interface that handles all the traffic.

#2 my current setup is like in the 4th picture.
I have it that way because my WRT54GS has larger wifi antennas compared to SK, that can reach my other laptop and fight through the interference of ~30+ other AP in my building. SK gets crushed here.

I am not giving up yet, so easy..

Some how I know there must be a way to do it.

For example if your Linksys WRT54GS were on DD-WRT firmare, and it was handling the PPPoE Connection you would follow the info on

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Ac···guration

--

Since we both have router(s) running tomato firmware, I will see what I can find out (In Tomato Firmware there must be a command OR a series of commands that can be done at Administration -> Scripts)

[EDIT] I found the following resource(s) using Google with the keywords: Access To Modem Configuration tomato firmware

»en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomato_Fir···eference where it has Example script 1

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Ta···guration where it says

quote:
The above method does not work in all Linux based firmware, e.g. it does not work in Tomato. A broader solution is to..

Working on finding out more info and testing, too...

[EDIT #2] Also found..

»www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?th···r.17412/

»How to Access Modem via Tomato Router

»[Tomato] WRT54GL Tomato - How Do I Access the DSL Modem?

I guess it is time, to start testing.

[EDIT#3] »Re: [Tomato] WRT54GL Tomato - How Do I Access the DSL Modem? worked, here. Yipe

I don't know about your router (Netgear WNR3500L running SamKnows firmware). I will see what I can find out. Sorry, but I will not able to test it. I don't have that brand, model and firmware.

--

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

#1 I tried to search for:

a) Access To Modem Configuration SamKnows

and

b) Access To Modem Configuration SamKnows firmware

#2 Links came back, but I did not see any info of how to get access to the Modem combo Configuration (while it is in bridge mode) with SamKnows firmware
--

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to aefstoggaflm

As I said earlier

quote:
»Re: [Tomato] WRT54GL Tomato - How Do I Access the DSL Modem? worked, here. Yipe
While I have a hub/switch that I could use and I have a Static Public IP, I suspect that on PPPoE with tomato firmware you can access the modem combo while the modem combo is in bridge mode.

Before I got a Static Public IP, I did not test this with PPPoE. So, I can't say for sure this will work.

Good luck.
--

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to aefstoggaflm

SK firmware is pretty much a stock netgear firmware with an extra menu to enable/disable reporting module and enable/disable bridge mode.

assigning 2nd IP to my tomato's wan port isn't going to help here since SK is sitting in front of it.
--

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

said by MxxCon:

SK firmware is pretty much a stock netgear firmware with an extra menu to enable/disable reporting module and enable/disable bridge mode.

assigning 2nd IP to my tomato's wan port isn't going to help here since SK is sitting in front of it.

Ok.

I have tapped on wayjac See Profile, to help out if he/she can..
--

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

1 recommendation

reply to MxxCon

Since the netgear uses 192.168.1.1 as it's ip address
The westell needs it's ip address changed to 192.168.1.253

After that is done

Connect the netgear internet port to a netgear lan port
Connect the westell ethernet port to a netgear lan port

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

then how will netgear pppoe?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

The netgear internet port and the westell ethernet port will find each other and allow the pppoe to work

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

said by wayjac:

The netgear internet port and the westell ethernet port will find each other and allow the pppoe to work

While I know how to get into my Westell: If I followed your directions, would a Public Static IP work too?

Router config(s), right now..

a) Westell 6100F (with only one LAN port) at 192.168.1.1 (in bridge mode).

b) Linksys WRT54G running tomato firmware at 192.168.0.1

Thanks.
--

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2
reply to wayjac

An earlier thread on this method.

»Get Modem Stats while Hooked Up to Router?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to aefstoggaflm

What I posted is only for dsl that uses pppoe
The number of ethernet ports on the modem does not matter
The modem and router must have unique ip's that are in the same subnet

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

said by wayjac:

What I posted is only for dsl that uses pppoe

Ok.

Why only for PPPoE (Not for DHCP or Static Public IP) ?

Can you go more techical about how that works ?

Thanks.
--

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

Because pppoe traffic cannot mingle with tcp/ip and dhcp traffic