join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

1 edit

MxxCon to aefstoggaflm

to aefstoggaflm

Re: [modem/router] How to access 6100G's interface while connect

ugh. somebody who has ~6500 posts and have been a member of this site for ~12 years, you'd understand is not a total noob.
said by aefstoggaflm:

said by MxxCon:

and if there's a router, then what would your suggestion be?

Please answer as many as you can.

ok, here it is.
said by aefstoggaflm:

#1 What is the make and model number of the router. If this does not apply, reply with N/A.

Linksys WRT54GS running Tomato firmware with wan port disabled connected into Netgear WNR3500L running SamKnows firmware connected into westell 6100G modem.
said by aefstoggaflm:

#2 What is the ip address of the router? If this does not apply, reply with N/A.

SK is 192.168.1.1, Tomato is 192.168.1.2
said by aefstoggaflm:

#3 Are there two ethernet ports on the Westell?

1 port
do Westell 6100G even exist with 2 ethernet ports?
said by aefstoggaflm:

#4 If there is only one ethernet port on the modem: Do you have a hub or a switch that not IP aware (not a Layer 3 switch)?

no
said by aefstoggaflm:

#5 What is the ip address of the westell?

said by aefstoggaflm:

#6 Does your computer have at least two NICs?

yes, with one nic disabled
said by aefstoggaflm:

#7 Do you know how to setup a Static IP on you computer?

yes. it is already set to 192.168.1.100

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

4 edits

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

Ok.

#1 I am happy to say you can access the modem combo while it is in bridge mode, but I am sad to say you can't access the net and the modem combo at the same time without, either:

a) A modem combo with at least two LAN ports.

b) OR a hub/switch (that is not Layer 3 aware).

#2 Once you have a modem combo with at least two LAN ports...

This assumes that you have two NICs, one of those NICs is a wired NIC, the mobem combo and the router behind it are two separate subnets.

a) Make sure the NIC that is disabled is NOT connected to anything.

b) That NIC gets enabled.

c) That NIC gets setup with-in the same subnet as the modem combo. For ex IP 192.168.100.2, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

d) Quick quote from »Linksys FAQ »How do I access a modem that is connected to the WAN port of a Linksys Router?
quote:
For security precautions, unbind File and Print Sharing and the Client for Microsoft Networks from the second NIC.
e) That NIC gets a wired connection to the modem combo with at least two LAN ports.

--

#3 Without a modem combo with at least two LAN ports, once you get a hub/switch (that is not Layer 3 aware), an example..

This assumes that you have two NICs, one of those NICs is a wired NIC, the mobem combo and the router behind it are two separate subnets, and only a power supply is connected to the hub/switch.

a) Disconnect the WAN port of the router that is connected to the modem combo that has only LAN port.

b) The wire from the modem goes to the port next to the uplink port of the hub/switch.

c) The wire from the WAN port router goes to any other port other than the uplink port OR to the port next to the uplink port of the hub/switch.

d) Make sure the NIC that is disabled is NOT connected to anything.

e) That NIC gets enabled.

f) That NIC gets setup with-in the same subnet as the modem combo. ex IP 192.168.100.2, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

g) Quick quote from »Linksys FAQ »How do I access a modem that is connected to the WAN port of a Linksys Router?
quote:
For security precautions, unbind File and Print Sharing and the Client for Microsoft Networks from the second NIC.
h) A wire connects from that NIC to any other port other than the uplink port, to the port next to the uplink port, or to the port in use by the WAN port router.

--
said by MxxCon:

said by aefstoggaflm:

#3 Are there two ethernet ports on the Westell?

do Westell 6100G even exist with 2 ethernet ports?

I have no idea.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

I'm pretty sure the 6100Gs only have a single Ethernet port, no USB port on them.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon

they gave me that fancy ethernet+usb cable..

Jacken
@66.251.61.x

Jacken

Anon

try to connect your computer directly to the 6100 and configure your computer's ip addres to the same network. Since your 6100's ip address is 192.168.100.1, then configure your computer's ip address to 192.168.100.2. After that, open a browser and type in 192.168.100.1 and it should take you there. Works for me. Good luck.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by Jacken :

try to connect your computer directly to the 6100 and configure your computer's ip addres to the same network. Since your 6100's ip address is 192.168.100.1, then configure your computer's ip address to 192.168.100.2. After that, open a browser and type in 192.168.100.1 and it should take you there. Works for me. Good luck.

While that is corect: Unfortunately, this will cause a loss of Internet access.