Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

plk
Premium
join:2002-04-20
united state

telephone pole spikes or steps for climbing

What is the proper name of the steps or spikes you see on old poles used to climb the pole. I need some but dont know the proper name.
These are the ones mounted to the pole.

dingo4
Premium
join:2009-02-08
kudos:1
I have always refered to them as pole steps. there are 2 kinds, the permanant ones that are pounded into the pole after a pilot hole is drilled (you can unscrew them to remove tho), and the temp ones that slip over cleats. The temps are placed to about 10' so no one without the temp steps can climb the pole. I don't know where a non employee can get them, but archery stores have screw in steps used for tree stands.
see-
»www.deer-hunting-success.com/tre···eps.html

why do you want them??
--

If people realized what was really important, there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

dingo4
Premium

1 edit
reply to plk

Sr Tech
Premium
join:2003-01-19
New Britain, CT
reply to plk
They are called PEGS, least that is what I always know them to be.

dingo4
Premium
Never heard them called that-but I'm sure things differ from region to region. Interesting.
--

If people realized what was really important, there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to plk

I wonder if anyone has actually tried to climb a pole that had them

dingo4
Premium
said by Dude111:

I have thousands of times, as have other Telco, CATV and a few power techs as well. Very safe, and as I grow older, a lot easier than hooks. and I don't have to lug a ladder. They are ideal IMO.
--

fruhead

join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ
reply to Dude111
said by Dude111:

More times than I can count. 17 years on the line with cable, in one capacity or another. My only problem with pole steps is that using them eventually blew out both my knees. The height of the first two steps (the removable ones) was so much of a stretch that I started having knee problems that plague me to this day. That's what eventually drove me off the line and into the office.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2
reply to plk

Re: telephone pole spikes or steps for climbing

Yeah, we always referred to them as pole steps as well.
Actually had the construction crew install some on particular tall poles in bad access areas where CATV Amplifiers were located.
And yeah, I agree with fruhead...they were often spaced pretty far apart, and the first couple were pretty far off the ground. Easier than hooking up the pole, but still not a lot of fun.

I would also love to know why the OP wants them.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

plk
Premium
join:2002-04-20
united state
I have a unused newer pole in the back yard I plan to stick a PTZ IP cam on.
I plan to feed a buried 24v line to and up the pole for power and a fiber line to a media converter I hope will fit inside the enclosure.

I do have a tower harness and spikes but have never used the spikes and I am no spring chicken so I elected to put the pegs in the pole if I can find them. They will be much safer to stand on with the harness allowing me to work.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

1 edit
Thanks for the explanation, plk...the curiosity was killing me.
said by plk:

Not sure where this new unused pole came from, or if it is a typical Utility pole.
Is it owned by you? Or, does it belong to the Power Co, TELCO, etc? (Does it have any tags on it indicating ownership?)
Again, I don't know the specifics, but it may have been a newly set pole for a future purpose.
Just curious again..don't want you to go to all the trouble installing a surveillance cam with all the fixin's up there, only to be told some time down the road to remove it.

(Edit) And yes, the Pole Steps we used were similar to the type dingo4 See Profile provided in his links above...such as this:
»www.macleanpower.com/products/it···_ID=2196
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to fruhead

I think i would be worried one of them would come out when stepped on!!

uugghh

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

1 edit
No way. When properly installed, they would easily hold even YOU (and more), my dude friend! (However, people like you are one of the reasons they make it difficult to reach the first one).
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

1 recommendation

Ah man!!

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to plk

Re: telephone pole spikes or steps for climbing

tower harness is useless......you need a climbing belt, strap, and gaffs (which by spikes, i assume you have)
--
I'm better than you!

dingo4
Premium
reply to plk
said by plk:

I plan to feed a buried 24v line to and up the pole for power and a fiber line to a media converter I hope will fit inside the enclosure.

Better get permission from who ever owns the pole. I don't think you'll be allowed to attach anything, and if you are you'll have to pay "rent" to use any space on it. Otherwise, you'll come home one day to your equipment in a pile at the bottom of the pole. I have taken dozens of things off poles that do not belong there. Not really a good idea what you have in mind. Perhaps the pole tag indicates who owns it and awith a phone call or two they may legally give it to you.
--