Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2

[CATV] What is the Status of Cox VOD on TiVo Premiere?

One year later and I would really like to know what ever happened to having Cox VOD on the TiVo?

Anyone interested should send an email to the following:
Erin.Lambremont@cox.com; mboccio@sloanepr.com; CoxCorp.CustomerRelations@cox.com

Cox Press Release Dated August 12, 2010
»cox.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=517
Cox Communications To Promote TiVo Premiere With Cox VOD Service To Its Subscribers
Cox Plans to Promote TiVo Premiere, Offer the TiVo Solution Through its Call Centers, and Provide Free Installation
First-Ever Integration of Cox On DEMAND service in a Retail Device to Provide A Full Service Cable Solution Along with Broadband Content
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, XPSP3 Pro, Win7 Toshiba Satellite A505-S6973
SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.085, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.103sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

it was not even set to launch untill 2011

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

Where in the Press Release does it say 2011?

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

1 edit

»www.engadget.com/2010/08/12/cox-···ith-cab/

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

That is what Engadget stated not Cox. The press release does not specify any dates. Perhaps that is what a Cox rep told Engadget off the record.
"it won't see a wide rollout (in "all major markets") until 2011"

It hasn't even seen a beta rollout in any market, yet, let alone "all major markets" in 2011, it is now almost August and no one has any answers, nor will Cox reply to my emails regarding the service.
--

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

how do you know it's not in Beta? maybe non disclosure so they can't talk about it.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

Maybe, but I think it would have been leaked in the Tivo community forums. Seems most things get leaked there. Or someone would leak it as an anon user here.

Fubar16

join:2001-02-20
Phoenix, AZ
reply to BryanInPHX

I bet it is closer than we think Since the Virgin Tivo is working with OnDemand.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to BryanInPHX

said by BryanInPHX:

no one has any answers, nor will Cox reply to my emails regarding the service.

Another Email to the Cox contact Deleted without reading!!!!

Another Email to the Cox contact Deleted without reading!!!!

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

according to cox people who post on facebook it could be this year or next year. I'm still debating if I want this or the multiroom dvr for the added HD.

Fubar16

Phoenix, AZ

Newest thing I could find.

»www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh···t=463109

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

said by Fubar16:

Newest thing I could find.

»www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh···t=463109

Yes, those postings by CoxInPHX is me, and that correspondence is the only and last time Cox has responded to any of my emails.

It took 3 emails and over a month to get one response back. That is a very poor PR person, that just deleted my most recent email posted above.

If my name and email was publicly posted to a press release, I, or my staff, would do our best to provide every inquiry with a prompt and relative response.
--

CoxJimR
Premium,VIP
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA

I'm trying to track down an update on this.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

said by CoxJimR:

Jim, Why is Copy Protection not consistent among all Cox markets.
Here in Arizona every digital channel (except locals) is copy protected, while New England and Orange Co, CA do not seem to have any copy protection.

Copy Once really hurts those that want to purchase a TiVo or Build an HTCP.
--

DDR329

@cox.net

^ really trying to put him to work now aren't ya?

Good questions though.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE
reply to BryanInPHX

said by BryanInPHX:

said by CoxJimR:

Jim, Why is Copy Protection not consistent among all Cox markets.
Here in Arizona every digital channel (except locals) is copy protected, while New England and Orange Co, CA do not seem to have any copy protection.

Copy Once really hurts those that want to purchase a TiVo or Build an HTCP.

what makes it worse is Omaha's locals were 5c protected over firewire

CoxJimR
Premium,VIP
Atlanta, GA

I don't have any visibility into copy protection.

As far as TiVo Premier goes, it is still an active project, but we don't have a launch date to announce yet.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

Jim if a current cox customer has or buys a tivo before cox rolls this out will cox still add vod toit when it's finally relased or do we have to wait until cox releases it?

CoxJimR
Premium,VIP
Atlanta, GA

said by ajwees41:

Jim if a current cox customer has or buys a tivo before cox rolls this out will cox still add vod toit when it's finally relased or do we have to wait until cox releases it?

Not sure. Don't know if that info is available at this stage, but I'll check.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

also Jim can you pop your head in my thread and shed some info if you can thanks.

»[CATV] Cox HD and Trio

Fubar16

Phoenix, AZ

Found a new Tivo coming later this year...

It has to be sold only to Cable Operators since it has no Analog tuner in it (Unless the FCC grants a exception).

Original Announcement (Tivo Premiere Q) states it is VOD ready.

»www.zatznotfunny.com/2011-06/tiv···r-elite/

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

TiVo will market the Premiere Elite primarily to customers that subscribe tocable systems that offer all their services, including basic tier signals, in digital format, i.e., to subscribers to all-digital cable systems and systems that offer adigital simulcast of their analog signals.Second, to avoid any customer confusion, TiVo plans to market the Premiere Elite primarily through its custom install, high-end retail, and TiVo.com channels. Custom installers are highly trained and will verify that customers have all digital service or digital simulcast service before recommending the TiVo Premiere Elite. TiVo also will train its high-end retailers (e.g., Magnolia) to ensure that customers have all-digital cable or digital simulcast service before selling them a Premiere Elite model.

the above make no sense it says they will market to customers and then later mentions custom install retailers I see no mention of cable companies.

Fubar16

Phoenix, AZ

said by ajwees41:

TiVo will market the Premiere Elite primarily to customers that subscribe tocable systems that offer all their services, including basic tier signals, in digital format, i.e., to subscribers to all-digital cable systems and systems that offer adigital simulcast of their analog signals.Second, to avoid any customer confusion, TiVo plans to market the Premiere Elite primarily through its custom install, high-end retail, and TiVo.com channels. Custom installers are highly trained and will verify that customers have all digital service or digital simulcast service before recommending the TiVo Premiere Elite. TiVo also will train its high-end retailers (e.g., Magnolia) to ensure that customers have all-digital cable or digital simulcast service before selling them a Premiere Elite model.

the above make no sense it says they will market to customers and then later mentions custom install retailers I see no mention of cable companies.

From the first paragraph:

TiVo Inc. (TiVo) is prepared to bring to the consumer retail market an exciting new four tuner, all-digital digital video recorder (DVR) that promises customers increased recording capability, increased capacity (300 HD hours), reduced power consumption, and a space-saving design. This device – the Premiere Elite – will provide a new option for consumers that currently can obtain an all-digital DVR only from a multichannel video program distributor like their local cable operator. TiVo already is taking orders for a version of the Premiere Elite from cable operators for deployment later this year to customers served by digital cable systems, but TiVo also seeks to offer it directly to consumers served by such systems.

They are already selling it to Cable Co's....

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

3 edits
reply to BryanInPHX

Meet the TiVo Premiere Elite
»www.tivo.com/products/tivo-premiere-elite/

$499.99 plus service
4-Tuners, 2TB HDD
Supports HDMI compliant splitters with up to 16 HDMI ports
MoCA® support (including MoCA bridge)

quote:
Typically a wireless or wired Ethernet connection to your home router is sufficient for items 1-3. However if you have, or plan to have, another TiVo Premiere DVR in your home, and you want to stream programs between them, we recommend a WIRED network connection.

With a TiVo Premiere Elite, you now have two choices for a wired network connection in your home: Wired Ethernet (plugged directly into your router or into an Ethernet port somewhere else in your home), or MoCA (using the same coaxial cable that distributes television signals in your home).

(note TiVo uses the word stream and not transfer, Hopefully streaming will be released soon)

No news yet on the non-DVR TiVo Preview. »www.zatznotfunny.com/2011-06/mor···details/

Hopefully Cox will release VOD on the Premiere soon.
--
TiVo Premiere, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.085, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.103sp

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit
reply to CoxJimR

What is the Status of Cox VOD on TiVo Premiere?

said by CoxJimR:

As far as TiVo Premier goes, it is still an active project, but we don't have a launch date to announce yet.

Jim,
Any news or update. Is it still an active project?

Is Cox looking for any customer testers? I volunteer.
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7 Desktop, Win7 Toshiba Satellite A505-S6973
TiVo Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.091, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE
reply to Fubar16

Re: [CATV] What is the Status of Cox VOD on TiVo Premiere?

is cox going to sell them the new 4 tuner or rent them?

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to CoxJimR

What is the Status of Cox VOD on TiVo Premiere?

said by CoxJimR:

Jim,

--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7 Desk, Win7 Toshiba Satellite A505-S6973
TiVo Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.091, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FAE

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

said by BryanInPHX:

said by CoxJimR:

Jim,

likely nothing new since last month when you asked

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to BryanInPHX

Re: [CATV] What is the Status of Cox VOD on TiVo Premiere?

said by BryanInPHX:

Meet the TiVo Premiere Elite
»www.tivo.com/products/tivo-premiere-elite/

$499.99 plus service

OUCH! 500 bucks and they STILL nick you monthly? OUCH!
--
Oh YES! let me drop everything i'm doing regardless of who it affects to deal with your petty little problem!

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

2 edits
reply to ajwees41

Re: What is the Status of Cox VOD on TiVo Premiere?

said by ajwees41:

likely nothing new since last month when you asked

Trying to be optimistic here, I still hold out hope. Even Charter has announced a TiVo launch: »www.charter.com/tivo
Charter also implies their TiVo w/VOD will not need a Tuning Adapter for SDV, The assumption would be that SDV requests would be handled via the same IP return path.

Recent questions I asked of the RCN TiVo guy here at DSLR, just for a better understanding of the delivery methods.
»[TiVo] Technical Questions regarding RCN VOD on a TiVo....

1) Is the VOD client on the TiVo, SeaChange?
--YES
2) Is the VOD content request sent over IP?
--YES
3) What is the actual VOD content delivery method, via IP, or via one of the TiVo's tuners.
--QAM - TiVo Tuner
4) What is the VOD stream format, mpeg2 or mpeg4 or something else?
--MPEG2
5) Is the available VOD offerings the same as with a cable STB?
A regular cable STB is receiving an mpeg2 video feed and using a tuner for delivery. So is the VOD content encoded to some other format for the TiVo?
--EXACT SAME you can even pause on a moto box and resume on your TiVo