Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Fubar16

join:2001-02-20
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2
reply to ajwees41

Re: [CATV] What is the Status of Cox VOD on TiVo Premiere?

Found a new Tivo coming later this year...

It has to be sold only to Cable Operators since it has no Analog tuner in it (Unless the FCC grants a exception).

Original Announcement (Tivo Premiere Q) states it is VOD ready.

»www.zatznotfunny.com/2011-06/tiv···r-elite/

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

TiVo will market the Premiere Elite primarily to customers that subscribe tocable systems that offer all their services, including basic tier signals, in digital format, i.e., to subscribers to all-digital cable systems and systems that offer adigital simulcast of their analog signals.Second, to avoid any customer confusion, TiVo plans to market the Premiere Elite primarily through its custom install, high-end retail, and TiVo.com channels. Custom installers are highly trained and will verify that customers have all digital service or digital simulcast service before recommending the TiVo Premiere Elite. TiVo also will train its high-end retailers (e.g., Magnolia) to ensure that customers have all-digital cable or digital simulcast service before selling them a Premiere Elite model.

the above make no sense it says they will market to customers and then later mentions custom install retailers I see no mention of cable companies.

Fubar16

join:2001-02-20
Phoenix, AZ

said by ajwees41:

TiVo will market the Premiere Elite primarily to customers that subscribe tocable systems that offer all their services, including basic tier signals, in digital format, i.e., to subscribers to all-digital cable systems and systems that offer adigital simulcast of their analog signals.Second, to avoid any customer confusion, TiVo plans to market the Premiere Elite primarily through its custom install, high-end retail, and TiVo.com channels. Custom installers are highly trained and will verify that customers have all digital service or digital simulcast service before recommending the TiVo Premiere Elite. TiVo also will train its high-end retailers (e.g., Magnolia) to ensure that customers have all-digital cable or digital simulcast service before selling them a Premiere Elite model.

the above make no sense it says they will market to customers and then later mentions custom install retailers I see no mention of cable companies.

From the first paragraph:

TiVo Inc. (TiVo) is prepared to bring to the consumer retail market an exciting new four tuner, all-digital digital video recorder (DVR) that promises customers increased recording capability, increased capacity (300 HD hours), reduced power consumption, and a space-saving design. This device – the Premiere Elite – will provide a new option for consumers that currently can obtain an all-digital DVR only from a multichannel video program distributor like their local cable operator. TiVo already is taking orders for a version of the Premiere Elite from cable operators for deployment later this year to customers served by digital cable systems, but TiVo also seeks to offer it directly to consumers served by such systems.

They are already selling it to Cable Co's....

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

3 edits
reply to BryanInPHX

Meet the TiVo Premiere Elite
»www.tivo.com/products/tivo-premiere-elite/

$499.99 plus service
4-Tuners, 2TB HDD
Supports HDMI compliant splitters with up to 16 HDMI ports
MoCA® support (including MoCA bridge)

quote:
Typically a wireless or wired Ethernet connection to your home router is sufficient for items 1-3. However if you have, or plan to have, another TiVo Premiere DVR in your home, and you want to stream programs between them, we recommend a WIRED network connection.

With a TiVo Premiere Elite, you now have two choices for a wired network connection in your home: Wired Ethernet (plugged directly into your router or into an Ethernet port somewhere else in your home), or MoCA (using the same coaxial cable that distributes television signals in your home).

(note TiVo uses the word stream and not transfer, Hopefully streaming will be released soon)

No news yet on the non-DVR TiVo Preview. »www.zatznotfunny.com/2011-06/mor···details/

Hopefully Cox will release VOD on the Premiere soon.
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, XPSP3 Pro, Win7 Toshiba Satellite A505-S6973
TiVo Premiere, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.085, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.103sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit
reply to CoxJimR

What is the Status of Cox VOD on TiVo Premiere?

said by CoxJimR:

I don't have any visibility into copy protection.

As far as TiVo Premier goes, it is still an active project, but we don't have a launch date to announce yet.

Jim,
Any news or update. Is it still an active project?

Is Cox looking for any customer testers? I volunteer.
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7 Desktop, Win7 Toshiba Satellite A505-S6973
TiVo Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.091, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE
reply to Fubar16

is cox going to sell them the new 4 tuner or rent them?

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to CoxJimR

What is the Status of Cox VOD on TiVo Premiere?

said by CoxJimR:

As far as TiVo Premier goes, it is still an active project, but we don't have a launch date to announce yet.

Jim,

--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7 Desk, Win7 Toshiba Satellite A505-S6973
TiVo Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.091, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FAE

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

said by BryanInPHX:

said by CoxJimR:

Jim,

likely nothing new since last month when you asked

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to BryanInPHX

said by BryanInPHX:

Meet the TiVo Premiere Elite
»www.tivo.com/products/tivo-premiere-elite/

$499.99 plus service

OUCH! 500 bucks and they STILL nick you monthly? OUCH!
--
Oh YES! let me drop everything i'm doing regardless of who it affects to deal with your petty little problem!

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

2 edits
reply to ajwees41

Re: What is the Status of Cox VOD on TiVo Premiere?

said by ajwees41:

likely nothing new since last month when you asked

Trying to be optimistic here, I still hold out hope. Even Charter has announced a TiVo launch: »www.charter.com/tivo
Charter also implies their TiVo w/VOD will not need a Tuning Adapter for SDV, The assumption would be that SDV requests would be handled via the same IP return path.

Recent questions I asked of the RCN TiVo guy here at DSLR, just for a better understanding of the delivery methods.
»[TiVo] Technical Questions regarding RCN VOD on a TiVo....

1) Is the VOD client on the TiVo, SeaChange?
--YES
2) Is the VOD content request sent over IP?
--YES
3) What is the actual VOD content delivery method, via IP, or via one of the TiVo's tuners.
--QAM - TiVo Tuner
4) What is the VOD stream format, mpeg2 or mpeg4 or something else?
--MPEG2
5) Is the available VOD offerings the same as with a cable STB?
A regular cable STB is receiving an mpeg2 video feed and using a tuner for delivery. So is the VOD content encoded to some other format for the TiVo?
--EXACT SAME you can even pause on a moto box and resume on your TiVo

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

Bryan what are you trying to find out Cox most likely will not rent it, but make you buy the hardware.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit
reply to CoxJimR

[CATV] What is the Status of Cox VOD on TiVo Premiere?

said by CoxJimR:

Jim,
Could you check into the status of VOD and at least confirm if this is still an active project. Thanks.

=====================================
On a side note: Charter Plugs TiVo Into Arris's VoD Back-Office
»www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable

cvv01
Premium
join:2011-11-16
Lake Forest, CA

I have have 2 premiere's and I'm not holding my breath. It would be a nice feature to have, but my guess is there will be a "catch", as there always is with COX.

My guess is COX is "working hard" to find a ways to ensure the TiVo VOD transport implementation will count AGAINST data caps, unlike traditional STB's which I believe leverage SDV to carry the feeds. Think COX OnDemand, Netflix style on your TiVo. That would count against caps, just like traditional Netflix does.

From a financial perspective, there is no "value add" for COX to add this service for TiVo users without "taxing" us in the process. Remember, from COX's perspective, CableCard users are the federally mandated second class citizens they are forced to deal with. From their perspective, they loose money on us. And they know we won't leave easy since our TiVo box is a doorstop as it only works with cable, unless of course you go OTA, which they know most won't do.

The press release from around a year ago seems like nothing more than marketing "smoke & mirrors" to stem the defection of video subscribers by means of false promises and/or undisclosed future "taxes".

Bottomline, if they plan to count TiVo COX OD against data caps, COX can shove it, just like their iPad app.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

how would that work in cox areas like Omaha that aren't SDV?

cvv01
Premium
join:2011-11-16
Lake Forest, CA

said by ajwees41:

SDV would be a moot point if COX rolls out a 100% IP based solution for TiVo OD. Netflix on TiVo is an IP based solution. An IP based implementation of OD would count against data caps since it would use your existing data connection, just like Netflix, just like the COX TV iPad app, just like TV on the COX website, etc..

The added bonus of an IP based solution is that it would solve for the disparity in SDV implementation across markets (With respect to OD for TiVo users) while being able to "Tax" TiVo users for using the OD service. It's the best of both worlds from a COX perspective.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

said by cvv01:

said by ajwees41:

SDV would be a moot point if COX rolls out a 100% IP based solution for TiVo OD. Netflix on TiVo is an IP based solution. An IP based implementation of OD would count against data caps since it would use your existing data connection, just like Netflix, just like the COX TV iPad app, just like TV on the COX website, etc..

The added bonus of an IP based solution is that it would solve for the disparity in SDV implementation across markets (With respect to OD for TiVo users) while being able to "Tax" TiVo users for using the OD service. It's the best of both worlds from a COX perspective.

And in Uverse fashion your speeds would drop on your internet service while using the tivo OD
--
Oh YES! let me drop everything i'm doing regardless of who it affects to deal with your petty little problem!

CoxJimR
Premium,VIP
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA
reply to BryanInPHX

Sorry it took me a few days to get back to everyone. The person I spoke with told me we are still working with Tivo on this, but they were not able to give me timing. That's the best I can do at the moment.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

Jim can you find out out or let the right people know cox customers would like to rent the S4 quad tuner tivos from Cox instead of the Motorola.

»www3.tivo.com/store/premiere-eli···odomyDnQ

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to CoxJimR

said by CoxJimR:

Sorry it took me a few days to get back to everyone. The person I spoke with told me we are still working with Tivo on this, but they were not able to give me timing. That's the best I can do at the moment.

Jim, Thank you for responding, Glad to hear it is still in the works. Hoping for a time-frame soon. Hopefully it still is a retail product and not a leased TiVo by Cox. Although the TiVo Q and Preview product combo would be an attractive offering too.
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7 Desk, Win7 Toshiba Satellite A505-S6973
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FAE

CoxJimR
Premium,VIP
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA
reply to ajwees41

said by ajwees41:

Jim can you find out out or let the right people know cox customers would like to rent the S4 quad tuner tivos from Cox instead of the Motorola.

»www3.tivo.com/store/premiere-eli···odomyDnQ

I will pass the word.

nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA
reply to ajwees41

Perhaps stating "some customers would like the option to rent . . ." would be a better way to phrase the statement. I doubt anyone has enough info to infer all customers would rather rent S4 tivos vs. the Motos.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

let's see the Moto's don't do external drives and probably never will thanks to cox favoring Cisco which is crap. Also not allowing the Motorola DCX line access to trioHD channels, but allowing the Cisco and possibly the Tivo with Cable Cards.

nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA

What I inferred is some people may be content with what they have and don't need an external drive or access to trioHD channels. It is difficult to speak for all users when no one knows the desires/needs of all users.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

all I meant was Cox treats the Cisco users better than Motorola users

tim85254

join:2010-07-15

said by ajwees41:

I don't know about that... if Cox had had Moto DCX boxes available here I'd never have bought my first TiVo. But the 8-bit-Commodore-64-looking output that was being vomited out of the "Explorer" was a strong motivator to look for something else.

That said, I now own two TiVo premieres - and even if Cox made it an option to receive their video on demand through the boxes I own, I wouldn't do it unless I knew I could restore the software on the units to the generic version.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to ajwees41

said by ajwees41:

They do? i'm cisco and not getting all the hd premiums i'm entitled to because they want that extra $5/mo!!1
--

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

said by dvd536:

said by ajwees41:

They do? i'm cisco and not getting all the hd premiums i'm entitled to because they want that extra $5/mo!!1

the cisco's get external dvr storage motorola's don't

tim85254

said by ajwees41:

Yeah, but its not really supported. The thread about it didn't go anywhere further than it being released to beta when their lipstick-on-a-pig upgrade to the EPG took it away.

»[AZ] 8240HDC will no longer Format a New External HDD

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

said by tim85254:

said by ajwees41:

Yeah, but its not really supported. The thread about it didn't go anywhere further than it being released to beta when their lipstick-on-a-pig upgrade to the EPG took it away.

»[AZ] 8240HDC will no longer Format a New External HDD

are you sure it took it away? last post in that thread still said it works.

reply to kangy
I got my firware updated today. Cox pushed it to my receiver while I was at work. My Ext was already plugged in and running. I checked Ch 1999 diag and the firmware was updated so I unplugged the drive and plugged it back in. The box froze for a couple minutes so I hit the power button, after it came back on it recognized the drive and prompted for a format. Took a few minutes. I did not lose any shows or scheduled recordings. About an hour or two later Cox called for a followup.
to forum · permalink · actions · hey mods · · 2011-11-03 21:18:38 ·

tim85254

A few beta testers... I've no idea if that update got pushed everywhere.