how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA
reply to ajwees41

Re: [CATV] What is the Status of Cox VOD on TiVo Premiere?

Perhaps stating "some customers would like the option to rent . . ." would be a better way to phrase the statement. I doubt anyone has enough info to infer all customers would rather rent S4 tivos vs. the Motos.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

let's see the Moto's don't do external drives and probably never will thanks to cox favoring Cisco which is crap. Also not allowing the Motorola DCX line access to trioHD channels, but allowing the Cisco and possibly the Tivo with Cable Cards.

nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA

What I inferred is some people may be content with what they have and don't need an external drive or access to trioHD channels. It is difficult to speak for all users when no one knows the desires/needs of all users.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

all I meant was Cox treats the Cisco users better than Motorola users

tim85254

join:2010-07-15

said by ajwees41:

I don't know about that... if Cox had had Moto DCX boxes available here I'd never have bought my first TiVo. But the 8-bit-Commodore-64-looking output that was being vomited out of the "Explorer" was a strong motivator to look for something else.

That said, I now own two TiVo premieres - and even if Cox made it an option to receive their video on demand through the boxes I own, I wouldn't do it unless I knew I could restore the software on the units to the generic version.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to ajwees41

said by ajwees41:

They do? i'm cisco and not getting all the hd premiums i'm entitled to because they want that extra $5/mo!!1
--
Oh YES! let me drop everything i'm doing regardless of who it affects to deal with your petty little problem!

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

said by dvd536:

said by ajwees41:

They do? i'm cisco and not getting all the hd premiums i'm entitled to because they want that extra $5/mo!!1

the cisco's get external dvr storage motorola's don't

tim85254

said by ajwees41:

Yeah, but its not really supported. The thread about it didn't go anywhere further than it being released to beta when their lipstick-on-a-pig upgrade to the EPG took it away.

»[AZ] 8240HDC will no longer Format a New External HDD

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

said by tim85254:

said by ajwees41:

Yeah, but its not really supported. The thread about it didn't go anywhere further than it being released to beta when their lipstick-on-a-pig upgrade to the EPG took it away.

»[AZ] 8240HDC will no longer Format a New External HDD

are you sure it took it away? last post in that thread still said it works.

reply to kangy
I got my firware updated today. Cox pushed it to my receiver while I was at work. My Ext was already plugged in and running. I checked Ch 1999 diag and the firmware was updated so I unplugged the drive and plugged it back in. The box froze for a couple minutes so I hit the power button, after it came back on it recognized the drive and prompted for a format. Took a few minutes. I did not lose any shows or scheduled recordings. About an hour or two later Cox called for a followup.
to forum · permalink · actions · hey mods · · 2011-11-03 21:18:38 ·

tim85254

A few beta testers... I've no idea if that update got pushed everywhere.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

said by tim85254:

A few beta testers... I've no idea if that update got pushed everywhere.

nothing new here. no big deal since everythings been repeats for weeks now.
--
Oh YES! let me drop everything i'm doing regardless of who it affects to deal with your petty little problem!

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to CoxJimR

said by CoxJimR:

Sorry it took me a few days to get back to everyone. The person I spoke with told me we are still working with Tivo on this, but they were not able to give me timing. That's the best I can do at the moment.

Time for my monthly question and bump
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7 Desk, Win7 Toshiba Satellite A505-S6973
TiVo Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.091, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX

tim85254

Has Margret from TiVo shared anything about it over at Tivocommunity?

As for me... not sure I even want a Cox VOD app on my Premieres. Will be adding Windows Media Center to my entertainment mix through a networked cablecard tuner (the silicondust one). Hope to have the card out of my old TiVo HD re-paired tomorrow night!

sbiller1

join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL
reply to BryanInPHX

said by BryanInPHX:

One year later and I would really like to know what ever happened to having Cox VOD on the TiVo?

We know that Comcast VOD on TiVo is close. My understanding is that Cox will follow after Comcast launches. My speculation is you won't see it until 2nd half of 2012.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

why should it I think cox was first on this not comcast. Comcast was still doing tivo on the motorola hardware.

tim85254

It was neither of them... Suddenlink and RCN have had this for months. Cox is a day late and a dollar short - i.e. consistent.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to tim85254

said by tim85254:

Has Margret from TiVo shared anything about it over at Tivocommunity?

I did send an email to Margret and she did not respond. But I did get a response from editor @ tivo.com

"Yes, we are in fact working on getting Cox VOD to TiVo Premiere users in select markets. It is coming and we will announce as we learn more."
--
TiVo Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.091, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to tim85254

Accidentally double posted....

ryanmcv

join:2001-10-14
Phoenix, AZ
reply to BryanInPHX

For what it's worth, I just received this email from TiVo regarding Cox VOD. Doesn't sound too promising:

said by TiVo PR :
Hi Ryan,

Apologies for the delayed response. At this time we still have to direct timing questions to Cox Communications as we are unable to speak on behalf of them. We hope to have updates to you and others soon.

Public Relations
TiVo Inc.
______@tivo.com

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

said by ryanmcv:

For what it's worth, I just received this email from TiVo regarding Cox VOD. Doesn't sound too promising:

said by TiVo PR :
Hi Ryan,

Apologies for the delayed response. At this time we still have to direct timing questions to Cox Communications as we are unable to speak on behalf of them. We hope to have updates to you and others soon.

Public Relations
TiVo Inc.
______@tivo.com

who did you email? a generic email or through facebook editor@tivo.com I heard it's still an active project from the editor email

ryanmcv

Phoenix, AZ

Click for full size
@TiVo
I emailed the editor [at] tivo.com address. It took two emails, but they finally got back to me today. I also reached out to them via Twitter and received the response above.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to BryanInPHX

Not that it means anything at all, in this particular case. But the Cox OnDemand channels did show up in the TiVo channel line-up the other day. In the case of linear channels, a new channel addition usually indicates it has or will go live soon.

In this case I'm not sure what to think? The TiVo would need an application first, such as SeaChange, to navigate and request specific content.

Cox "On Demand" channels showing on Guide
»www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh···t=482735
--

cvv01
Premium
join:2011-11-16
Lake Forest, CA

The OD channels have been in the lineup here in SoCal for almost a year now. I think these get pushed as part of the cablecard channel map, but unfortunately they do not tune. Agreed on the app piece, seems most logical, but currently all TiVo apps operate under IP for data delivery. A COX OD app would be fundamentally different than all other TiVo apps today. This could be why it's taking a while. However, they could just get lazy (and greedy) and package OD in an IP delivery transport (Like Netflix app) and then hit folks with the Bandwith usage. If guess time will tell.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit

One of the apps available to TiVo is called SeaChange and is currently used by RCN, The OD request is sent over IP, and the content is delivered via QAM through a designated channel. Given Cox's current method of OD delivery is MPEG2 over QAM, that would seem the most likely option "if" Cox ever delivers on TiVo VOD.

»[TiVo] Technical Questions regarding RCN VOD on a TiVo...

»www.zatznotfunny.com/2010-04/rcn···remiere/

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to BryanInPHX

Come on Cox, even Comcast is now on-board with a Retail TiVo w/ VOD.

»www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-03/com···n-april/

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

1 edit

it doesn't even launch on Comcast until April if everything goes according to plan.

Comcast's is still in beta as far as I can tell and you know Cox doesn't say much about new projects until they launch or after or are dead

ryanmcv

Phoenix, AZ

At least TiVo's website still shows Cox VOD as "coming soon." Hope isn't lost entirely.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to BryanInPHX

Jim,

Is it possible to make any comment, Is this dead or still in the works

Thanks

sbiller1

join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL

said by BryanInPHX:

Jim,

Is it possible to make any comment, Is this dead or still in the works

Thanks

Cox was still mentioned 30+ times in the latest TiVo earnings filing with the SEC. Megazone confirmed at The Cable Show yesterday that Cox is still an active project.

Please see this post for more details --> »www.gizmolovers.com/2012/05/22/t···artners/

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

that's what Tivo says/thinks, but no new info from Cox just Jim saying it's still active. Cox is the only one who hasn't launched it. Maybe they should work with Comcast who actually has it launched and go that way instead of using a IP back channel.