spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ryanmcv
join:2001-10-14
Phoenix, AZ

ryanmcv to ajwees41

to ajwees41

Re: [CATV] What is the Status of Cox VOD on TiVo Premiere?

I emailed the editor [at] tivo.com address. It took two emails, but they finally got back to me today. I also reached out to them via Twitter and received the response above.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

Not that it means anything at all, in this particular case. But the Cox OnDemand channels did show up in the TiVo channel line-up the other day. In the case of linear channels, a new channel addition usually indicates it has or will go live soon.

In this case I'm not sure what to think? The TiVo would need an application first, such as SeaChange, to navigate and request specific content.

Cox "On Demand" channels showing on Guide
»www.tivocommunity.com/ti ··· t=482735
ShiftDelete
Premium Member
join:2011-11-16
CA

ShiftDelete

Premium Member

The OD channels have been in the lineup here in SoCal for almost a year now. I think these get pushed as part of the cablecard channel map, but unfortunately they do not tune. Agreed on the app piece, seems most logical, but currently all TiVo apps operate under IP for data delivery. A COX OD app would be fundamentally different than all other TiVo apps today. This could be why it's taking a while. However, they could just get lazy (and greedy) and package OD in an IP delivery transport (Like Netflix app) and then hit folks with the Bandwith usage. If guess time will tell.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

One of the apps available to TiVo is called SeaChange and is currently used by RCN, The OD request is sent over IP, and the content is delivered via QAM through a designated channel. Given Cox's current method of OD delivery is MPEG2 over QAM, that would seem the most likely option "if" Cox ever delivers on TiVo VOD.

»[TiVo] Technical Questions regarding RCN VOD on a TiVo...

»www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· remiere/
BryanInPHX

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

Come on Cox, even Comcast is now on-board with a Retail TiVo w/ VOD.

»www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· n-april/

ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

1 edit

ajwees41

Premium Member

it doesn't even launch on Comcast until April if everything goes according to plan.

Comcast's is still in beta as far as I can tell and you know Cox doesn't say much about new projects until they launch or after or are dead
ryanmcv
join:2001-10-14
Phoenix, AZ

ryanmcv

At least TiVo's website still shows Cox VOD as "coming soon." Hope isn't lost entirely.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

Jim,

Is it possible to make any comment, Is this dead or still in the works

Thanks
sbiller1
join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL

sbiller1

said by BryanInPHX:

Jim,

Is it possible to make any comment, Is this dead or still in the works

Thanks

Cox was still mentioned 30+ times in the latest TiVo earnings filing with the SEC. Megazone confirmed at The Cable Show yesterday that Cox is still an active project.

Please see this post for more details --> »www.gizmolovers.com/2012 ··· artners/
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

that's what Tivo says/thinks, but no new info from Cox just Jim saying it's still active. Cox is the only one who hasn't launched it. Maybe they should work with Comcast who actually has it launched and go that way instead of using a IP back channel.
sbiller1
join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL

sbiller1

said by ajwees41:

that's what Tivo says/thinks, but no new info from Cox just Jim saying it's still active. Cox is the only one who hasn't launched it. Maybe they should work with Comcast who actually has it launched and go that way instead of using a IP back channel.

Comcast is using an IP back channel.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

said by sbiller1:

said by ajwees41:

Comcast is using an IP back channel.

so what's holding it up on Cox? Does Comcast have to launch it in so many areas before Cox can even test it?

CoxJimR
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA

CoxJimR

Premium Member

I can't speak to the how it works, but I did get confirmation from our manager that Cox and Tivo are still working on this together. She didn't have any timing at this point.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

thanks Jim it's just strange Cox doesn't say much since it was announced.

Is there a chance that this might never be launched?

CoxJimR
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

CoxJimR

Premium Member

said by ajwees41:

thanks Jim it's just strange Cox doesn't say much since it was announced.

Is there a chance that this might never be launched?

We tend to not talk about pending projects as a rule.

I'm not in a position to speculate on the launch possibility, I'm just not close to it. We are actively working with them, that would seem to me to be a good sign.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

2 edits

ajwees41

Premium Member

so in this case no news is good news?

why is it taking so long? Comcast announced it and had it launch already within a year of announcement and Cox is almost going on 2 years and not even a launch.

CoxJimR
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

CoxJimR

Premium Member

Not close enough to it to know.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX to CoxJimR

Premium Member

to CoxJimR

[TiVo][CATV] What is the Status of Cox VOD on TiVo Premiere?

Another Bump Request

Just got another TiVo, Elite/XL4 this time. Streaming between Premieres is great, Just need the Cox VOD
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

With no no new news it seems this was done, so TiVo didn't sue Cox.
ajwees41

ajwees41

Premium Member

bump for any new info