share rss forum feed

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

[SU] Security update for Safari 5.0.6 and 5.1

quote:
Apple publishes big Safari security update - Lion users included

Apple yesterday released an update for Safari 5.0.6 and 5.1 which includes a whole battery of security fixes.

If you calculate the magnitude of a security update by the count of CVE (Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures) numbers listed, this one scores a 57.

Note that even though the update came out after the official release of Lion, the brand-new 10.7 flavour of OS X needs this update too. So don't assume that you have the latest Safari because you have the very latest OS X. You don't.

Of the 57 CVE entries patched, those who reported or sold the relevant vulnerabilities claimed that: 46 might lead to remote code execution; four to information disclosure; three to the spoofing of addresses or content; three to cross-site scripting; and one to the mismanagement of SSL certificates....

»nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/07···ncluded/

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2

I have Lion, and just checked for updates. Said there were none. Maybe it will be available later today.
--
"I Was Very Drunk At The Time" - Pink Floyd, Dark Side Of The Moon

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to haroldo

Glad that Apple is fixing Safari... I can only imagine how many more exploits there are.

ToxicDrew
Premium
join:2001-09-24

1 edit
reply to lordpuffer

said by lordpuffer:

I have Lion, and just checked for updates. Said there were none. Maybe it will be available later today.

It says Lion has the latest 5.1 version of safari. Guess we don't need it.
--
dream your dreams with open eyes and make them come true...