spc
Search similar:

uniqs

M0E_lnx
@69.199.100.x

M0E_lnx

Anon

[Connectivity] Cable modem for Blast Service

I'm trying to buy my own cable modem to use with my comcast service to avoid the $7.00/mo rental fee for the modem. My question is...

When I go to their "Approved modem list" and I select the "Blast" service (which I have), it shows me a rather short list of approved modems. All of which are quite pricey. An internet search for cable modems renders tons of results ranging from $1.00 to very high prices.

So I guess what I want to know is... if I buy a modem that is not on that list, will my service still work? What do I need to look for in a modem to make sure it works? When I do get it, will I have to call comcast and tell them to configure it for me or is this done locally (ie, enter username /password into the configuration to get an IP and get in the network) ?

Any help is appreciated in this matter. Thanks.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

baineschile

Premium Member

Motorola SB6120. Nuff Said. Youll future proof yourself as well.

Youll have to call them with a MAC address, so they can get you by the walled garden. I wouldnt buy one on ebay or craigslist...thos can be stolen.

M0E_lnx
@69.199.100.x

M0E_lnx

Anon

Thanks for the reply baineschile. I'll stay off ebay and craigslist for this then.

That looks like a powerful modem. Can handle speeds way faster than I got.
I was kind of looking to spend less than it costs though. Is it possible to get maybe one with DOCSYS 2 since I'm only @ 20Mbit/s ?
According to internet research, DOCSYS 2 can handle up to 38Mbit/s. If that would work I'd be happy with it because I'm starting a 2yr agreement with comcast and I can't change my plan anyway.

Do you think they'll be able to provide the service with an DOCSYS 2 modem at all?
DZS
join:2007-09-09
York, PA

1 edit

DZS

Would not skimp on a modem, Blast is being constantly upgraded and in the future you will be stuck at slower speed and forced to eventually buy a DOCSIS 3 modem anyways.

You will get free upgrades to blast but if you have a DOCSIS 2 modem you will not even be able to use the free speed boost.

Why buy 2 modems when you can buy the right one now. $7 * 12 months = $84, the SB6120 pays for itself in 1 year.

M0E_lnx
@tmodns.net

M0E_lnx

Anon

Souns good. So reaply, i just need to look for docsys 3 in a modem any one that meets that criteria should work?
DZS
York, PA

DZS

Pretty much, stick with the list on:
»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Check the box that says "Show only the latest models (DOCSIS 3.0 and above)"

Most popular (and cheapest) DOCSIS 3.0 modem is the Motorola SB6120.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 25122009
Grand Total (with shipping): $87.98

M0E_lnx
@69.199.100.x

M0E_lnx

Anon

Does anyone own one their own modem... I'm interested how comcast's customer service reacts when you have problems with the service... I mean will they first say something like "I see you dont use our modem, but rather have one of your own... You need a new modem" when a splitter has gone bad ( happened to me once, but it was their modem, so I had to exchange it and the problem persisted so... they sent someone out and found a bad splitter in the line.)

Something like that would be costly... So I'm interested to see if anybody owns their modem and if they've seen anything close to this.
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

1 edit

ctggzg to M0E_lnx

Premium Member

to M0E_lnx
Don't waste money on an overpriced DOCSIS 3 modem now. Get a new BEFCMU10 (my pick) or SB5100 for $20 - $25, and by the time a DOCSIS 3 modem would actually make any difference, they'll be half the price. You'll end up paying less overall and have a newer modem. Those who push D3 haven't really done the math and/or want to justify their own bad purchases.

eBay shouldn't be an problem either. Even in the unlikely case that there's something wrong, you still have recourse in eBay/PayPal.

To answer the poster's last question, I use my own BEFCMU10 and haven't had any grief from Comcast other than the initial setup. As long as the modem is officially supported (and even sometimes if it's not), don't worry about it. If the modem failed today, I'd get another BEFCMU10.
DZS
York, PA

DZS to M0E_lnx

to M0E_lnx
I own my own SB6120. Customer service acts the same exact way whether you own or rent a modem. They will use the same diagnostic steps for either one. They have never once pointed out "that i'm not using their modem" and I have called them several times for different issues.

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper to M0E_lnx

Premium Member

to M0E_lnx
These are the widely available retail DOCSIS 3 modems, »www.bestbuy.com/site/ols ··· t0503013 ,they all have the same TI chip-set,and would work great.
petes67bird
join:2010-05-11
Mchenry, IL

petes67bird

I have used the Cisco DPC3000, Ubee and now the Moto SB6121. I would stick with the DPC3000 or the Moto SB6121(it replaces the SB6120). The Ubee seemed to give me issues while gaming. I game for about 5 hours every night and it seemed that I had latency spikes with ONLY that modem. I dont go through a router and only had the issue with the Ubee.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to ctggzg

Premium Member

to ctggzg
said by ctggzg:

Don't waste money on an overpriced DOCSIS 3 modem now. Get a new BEFCMU10 (my pick) or SB5100 for $20 - $25, and by the time a DOCSIS 3 modem would actually make any difference, they'll be half the price. You'll end up paying less overall and have a newer modem. Those who push D3 haven't really done the math and/or want to justify their own bad purchases.

I tend to disagree. There are increased capacity/reduced congestion benefits (especially on crowded segments at peak usage time) and channel fail over benefits to be had by using a D3 capable modem on an upgraded to D3 system. It's a win win for both the provider and the subscriber
Lulz
join:2011-07-27

Lulz to M0E_lnx

to M0E_lnx
said by M0E_lnx :

Does anyone own one their own modem... I'm interested how comcast's customer service reacts when you have problems with the service... I mean will they first say something like "I see you dont use our modem, but rather have one of your own... You need a new modem" when a splitter has gone bad ( happened to me once, but it was their modem, so I had to exchange it and the problem persisted so... they sent someone out and found a bad splitter in the line.)

Something like that would be costly... So I'm interested to see if anybody owns their modem and if they've seen anything close to this.

Well Comcast is a cable company so you can expect them to be lazy and incompetent. When I have had the displeasure of calling them up about a technical question I got wrong information almost 100% of the time. They don't even know their own equipment. I actually now use my own cable modem and it does what I need it to do. I doesn't work with their VOIP service though

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to M0E_lnx

to M0E_lnx
The less-than-DOCSIS 3 cable modems that are still on Comcast's approved list all are five years old or older - worse, cable companies, including Comcast, have a track record of EOLing even otherwise-solid cable modems before they reach the decade-old period. (The General Instrument/Motorola SB-41xx lasted six years before going EOL - launched in 2000, but EOL in 2006.)

I'm in the same pickle with my SB-5120 (bought in 2005 to replace that SB-4100, which is sitting on a shelf in my closet). The two modems on my shortlist (SB6120 and SB-6121 - both from Motorola, both on Comcast's approved list, and, retail/brick-and-mortar, the same price) are both considerably overkill (I have Performance, not Blast). Still, it looks like I will wind up buying one of the two this year, simply to avoid having to next year, when I expect the entire SB-51xx line to get voted off DOCSIS Island.