sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

1 edit

Ideas for a 30x24 inch hunk of granite?

During our ongoing kitchen/den remodel, we selected a granite slab and had granite counter tops cut and installed from it. They installed them yesterday.

After bringing in the largest chunk of granite, they cut out a 30x24 inch piece where our new range will go. (The piece was left in place until the end to add strength during carry-in and installation.) I estimate it weighs 60 pounds or so. Inch and 1/4 thick. Since I paid for the whole slab, I said certainly I want to keep that hunk.

So what can we do with such a large chunk of granite? Make a table for our deck? Save it for a dog's tombstone? I need some ideas. Sending it out for additional cutting is certainly doable.

I've already eliminated "cutting board" as an idea. I have good wood cutting boards already that won't dull the knives.

Edit to correct thickness.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

boogi man

join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by sempergoofy:

So what can we do with such a large chunk of granite? Make a table for our deck? Save it for a dog's tombstone? I need some ideas. Sending it out for additional cutting is certainly doable.

I've already eliminated "cutting board" as an idea. I have good wood cutting boards already that won't dull the knives.

deck table for sure
--
my site

Waterbug

join:2008-03-30
reply to sempergoofy
You could cut it down a little and use it for a Pizza stone for your oven.

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy
The better-half uses the one from our sink cut-out to roll out pastry dough and candy making. She puts it in the deep-freeze or sets it outdoors in winter for a couple of hours first. The rest of the time it sits next to the stove fielding hot pans. The installers did a good job polishing up the edges so it looks nice.

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

1 edit
reply to Waterbug
said by Waterbug:

You could cut it down a little and use it for a Pizza stone for your oven.

Not a bad idea. I think I read something about a company recently "repurposing" their pizza stone business products for car seat warmers in the winter. Don't need one in my Passat, but maybe the wife might like one in her Prius.

Found the source of the pizza stone for seat warmers recollection:
»www.npr.org/2011/07/16/138179074···listener
This was no bluff.
Ms. SALIE: Serious chefs know pizza stones make great crust. Now serious car buyers in Buffalo, New York know that pizza stones make hot buns. That's right, one dealership is offering a free heated seat option by giving away pizza stones to sit on. Frank Soriano(ph) of Soriano Wheels got the idea last winter when his mother Angela sent him to his sister's with a hot pizza stone.

Soriano says, "I was freezing, so I decided to wrap it in a blanket and sit on it. My butt was in heaven." Soriano says his daughter particularly enjoys the pizza seat, as she calls it, after swim practice. Sometimes we hear her sizzle, but it doesn't hurt.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to sempergoofy
Discus...!

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy
I have been trying to figure out to do with an identical-sized piece of soapstone from when we had our countertops done.

So far I've come up with getting it cut into a few different things:

an engraved address marker for the house I can install out front

a pizza stone

a piece for the kitchen table to rest hot pots/pans on
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
said by John97:

a piece for the kitchen table to rest hot pots/pans on

This. My neighbor had them cut her extra pieces down into pot holder sized chunks to use on her counters and table. She really likes them.

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
I like decorative metal or cork trivets better than the thought of very heavy chunks of this thick granite. If it were relatively thin stone I might go for it. But 1.25" thickness would guarantee heavy weight and make granite trivets a hazard unto themselves if moved and accidentally dropped.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

1 recommendation

reply to John Galt
said by John Galt:

Discus...!

Took me a second to get this one. At first reading I thought it was a request to "discuss" like a command from the old female Mike Meyers character on SNL, not a suggestion to make track and field equipment.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to sempergoofy
The leading ideas my wife and I have discussed since I started this thread are in order of most preferred to lesser preferred are:
1) Use it as a top on a mobile kitchen island (trimmed in size as needed). This has the advantage that it would match the rest of the kitchen counter tops and provide the function that a mobile kitchen island normally would provide. We can look at the potential of retrofitting it atop of an off-the-shelf mobile island, but a custom built unit would have advantages. I could potentially find a cabinet shop and have them make it, or do it myself (but it takes me forever on stuff like that).

2) Save it until we remodel the guest bath and use it (after trimming and polishing of sides) for a custom vanity top. This would be a good money saver, but who knows if it will match the desired decor color?

3) Garden bench (no back). Would require appropriate legs. Maybe get some pre-made cement scroll-ly looking legs but use this as the top instead of a cement top. (Just thought as typing this, maybe visit the natural stone supply place nearby and see if there might be some more natural kind of leg base that might be used.) We could potentially have it engraved with some phrase first, too, I suppose.

4) Make something like this, which looks relatively simple: »www.custommade.com/contemporary-···tstudios
--
nohup rm -fr /&

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy
If no good ideas come up craigslist is always an option to recuperate some cost.
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC
reply to sempergoofy
Make a small island for the kitchen with wheels and top it off with the granite.
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to John97
said by John97:

a pizza stone

Natural stone can have inclusions that result in uneven expansion when heated, resulting in cracking or exploding. Using one as a trivet probably isn't going to be too much of an issue, but I'd be cautious before using something like natural granite in an oven.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to sempergoofy
Chuck Norris's line of Frisbees

Spare tire for Fred Flintsone's car

Sorry that's all, I skipped lunch today...

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
reply to sempergoofy

If you have any 30" doors in your house, you could make granite thresholds for them.

--
. . . CBT . . .

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
said by Coma:

If you have any 30" doors in your house, you could make granite thresholds for them.

Hmm. Interesting idea you put forth there. I'll have to play with that idea a little bit.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
said by sempergoofy:

said by Coma:

Hmm. Interesting idea you put forth there. I'll have to play with that idea a little bit.

. . . or if the doors are wider then 30", you could always have a seam somewhere.

Last week I bought another house that has a white marble threshold going into the bathroom. It has a crack in the middle and I was thinking about filling the crack with white grout.

. . . just a thought.

--
. . . CBT . . .

Waterbug

join:2008-03-30
reply to jester121
said by jester121:

Spare tire for Fred Flintsone's car

It would have to be one of those donut spares. Fred's car had pretty meaty rollers.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to sempergoofy
How about a floating shelf somewhere.... or a mantle. Maybe a bit large for that.

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
said by KrK:

How about a floating shelf somewhere.... or a mantle. Maybe a bit large for that.

That is a good suggestion. We have a brick fireplace in the kitchen/den that are being remodeled. The wife and I are thinking once the remodel is complete we might tile over the fireplace bricks. Ideas for that from here:
»www.homebedazzle.com/diy_firepla···dels.htm
Depending upon the tile we choose, perhaps a small mantle out of this granite might work. The mantle would be about five or six feet away from the some of the kitchen countertop for matching purposes. This idea makes the list for strong consideration.
--
nohup rm -fr /&