how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ahardb0dy5

join:2005-12-30
Sorrento, FL

Electrical problem mobile home

Hello, trying to help a neighbor with a problem, She has no power to her bedroom ceiling light or outlets, no power to adjoining bathroom ceiling light but outlet works, no power to hall light outside bathroom, or to outside light. Checked for power at switch for outside light and has no power. All circuit breakers were tested and are good, the circuit breaker that feeds these room ( neighbor says) was replaced with new one. All outlets and switches were replaced with new home style switches and outlets. Was just wondering if there may be a problem at the bathroom outlet since it is the only place that has electric maybe power not continuing thru the circuit?? Mobile home is a 1984 so not sure if it had GFCI outlet in bathroom originally. Did not go under trailer yet to trace wire coming out of breaker box. All wire connections tight inside breaker box for this one breaker. Thanks any ideas?

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast

Check the outlet that works and see if any wires has came lose. If all are connected in that outlet start checking the outlets and switch boxes that is closest to the bathroom for non connected wires.

Make sure you turn off power when checking
--
Caddy

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to ahardb0dy5

Trailers can be tricky. Usually, the wiring is done very poorly from the manufacturer. They are more difficult to work with than a regular house.
There's normally not much wiring bottomside other than a plug in for the heat tape (doubt you need that in FL) and sometimes a well pump.
Normally, even in trailers, the bathroom(s) are on their own circuit.
You need a VOM at the very least. A tracker would be better. Even a simple tone and amplifier probe will work.

If they have window A/C unit(s), that would be the very first outlet I look at. They have a tendency to toast backstab receptacles.
--
I just might be the most "licensed" S.O.B. you know.

ahardb0dy5

Sorrento, FL

She currently has 3 window AC's running since the outside AC got fried during a storm she said. The breaker box has at least 4 wires that go out the bottom, one is for the dryer one is the breaker that hse says controls the rooms that have no power. Going to check the outlet that works tomorrow to see if there is a bad connection.

What would cause multiple outlets and lights to not work but one outlet to still work when they are all on the same breaker??

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12

I'd start looking at the one outlet on the same breaker that does work. Segment and isolate.
--
I just might be the most "licensed" S.O.B. you know.

Waterbug

join:2008-03-30
reply to ahardb0dy5

Is the trailer a double-wide ?? If so, are the bad circuits/plugs all on the same side of the trailer ?? If all are on the same side, check the junction where the sides of the trailer are electrically connected together.

ahardb0dy5

Sorrento, FL
reply to ahardb0dy5

single wide

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:3
reply to ahardb0dy5

Check for an outside outlet, if so it may be a GFCI and has the rest of the circuit downstream. If tripped reset it, if damp replace.

Many trailers have two outdoor outlets one fore and one aft and they may be underneath and long forgot about.

Wayne

ahardb0dy5

Sorrento, FL

I will, I know where one outside outlet is, there is an outlet strip plugged into the shed somewhere (that is working) but it is not accessible, shed is totally full of stuff, lady is kind of a pack rat and I'm not wading thru all her stuff to look for an outlet especially after the big spider I saw in there yesterday !!! I don't like spiders.

If a GFCI outlet is tripped I understand that any outlets after it that are wired into the protective part of the GFCI outlet will be dead but would the GFCI outlet still have power itself????

rfnut
Premium
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to ahardb0dy5

In addition to the suggestions of checking the outlets wirings, I have ran into many older trailers that "neutral switch" the lights, meaning that the "light" should be hot all the time and the hot wire could be "broke" in one of the 2 ceiling lights.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to ahardb0dy5

said by ahardb0dy5:

She currently has 3 window AC's running

If she doesn't have the correct size breaker on those A/Cs for the amount of electric she is using the A/Cs can burn out the wire or start a fire!