spc
Search similar:

uniqs
th3orydot
join:2011-07-24
Rileyville, VA

th3orydot

Centurylink DSL - Problems with gaming

I've only been on centurylink for a few months as I moved to a rural area, previously was on fios and comcast which were relatively easy for online game play.

Presently I'm only able to connect to counter strike:source servers maybe 1:15 attempts, otherwise it just times out. I'm also trying to play a baseball game through steam, which has an online lobby etc. I'm able to access the online lobby, but when I attempt to play friends I get errors with establishing a connection.

I disabled the router firewall that comes enabled with the centurylink router, but that didn't help. Anyone else with centurylink experience similar issues?
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes

ok running it using wifi. what modem and router do you have? did you turn the nat off.
need to know this info to help you better
th3orydot
Rileyville, VA

th3orydot

hardwired in, moder-router combo, it's the P-660HW-D1 v2. NAT is still enabled... thanks in advance
firedrakes
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes

i would bridge the modem. seeing even if you port forward it(660). it still wont show the port open.
th3orydot
Rileyville, VA

th3orydot

I'm being told that I need to "enable port forwarding" is that the same as bridging? If not, does anyone know how to enable port forwarding with this modem/router?

I spoke with CL on the phone, they wanted to charge me $15 a month to tell me how to enable port forwarding....never even had to go through this hassle with previous ISP's.

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

Don't bother. Just bridge the modem and eliminate the double NAT problem entirely.
th3orydot
Rileyville, VA

th3orydot

I guess I'll have to figure out a secondary router option if i go bridging. I'm kinda surprised that an ISP can distribute a router/modem combo these days that virtually is incapable of online game play.

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

It's worth it. The 660 is notoriously bad for port forwarding/NAT problems. Just throw a $30 Walmart special in there, bridge the 660, and be done with it.
firedrakes
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes

yeah a 20 bucks wifi router on newegg(example) would do they job.
th3orydot
Rileyville, VA

th3orydot

I'm kind of wondering what resolution Century Link would actually offer. I've spoken to two people so far on the phone in regarding the issue, both times they said I needed to pay $15 to speak with RESCUEIT to resolve the issue. But from the looks of it, the only resolution what so ever is to bridge and buy another router. This company is absolute shit.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

The best resolution is to bridge the modem and buy a separate router. The 660 modems are notorious for choking when a large number of connections are open at one time (on-line gaming, for example).

The RescueIT folks would take your money and help you do port-forwarding in the router. When that didn't resolve the issue, they would probably tell you the problem is with your PC. They might refund your money, if they are unable to fix problem.

You may still need to do some port-forwarding, or turn on UPnP, in the new router to get everything working properly.
bones200
Premium Member
join:2008-07-11
Randleman, NC

bones200 to th3orydot

Premium Member

to th3orydot
I have the 660R modem>>>>BRIDGED>>>>>Then a router that handles the whole house load.
Remember to RELEASE the IP on the 660 BEFORE bridging or you will NOT have connection.
I personally do not see a need to add cost for any protection services like rescueit. But that is my opinion.
I have 3 game systems going without any issues. (PS3,Xbox360 and WII)
AFTER you bridge the modem..PORT FORWARD the router for you gaming needs. Static IP PS3 and Xbox (if using them).

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to th3orydot

to th3orydot
Two years ago, Embarq shipped me the 660HW (wireless router version of the 660) and it was impossible to get port forwarding to work. An Embarq tech admitting it can't be done.

Anyway, I use the 660 in bridge mode and a Mikrotik RouterBoard after it.

For small residential SOHO use, you could get by with the $39 RB700. Case and power supply included.

For a small business, I'd go with the RB450 or RB450G.
firedrakes
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes

i do have the manual for bridging the modem.... got to find it. first
th3orydot
Rileyville, VA

th3orydot

I picked up a new router online, came a few days ago. Thanks for the responses, in regards to Bridging, say I wasn't using a router, would the Bridging just default to the computer connected in the first port? Or do you have to specify?

Secondly, someone mentioned console games, I own xbox 360, I'm able to play that online without any issues with the initial setup oddly. The problem I'm having is with PC games. I plan to call centurylink today to have them send me their other "modem" option which doesn't dual as a router, which will probably make the setup less hairy...

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

said by th3orydot:

their other "modem" option which doesn't dual as a router

I find is hard to believe they have a modem that can't do routing.

It sounds like we can improve your understanding of bridging and routing.

The standard Zyxel 660 (and others) can be flipped from routing to bridged:
Modem's web GUI > Maintenance > Diagnostic > Network Layer > Operating Mode > Current / Change to

In bridged mode, CL give you one and only one IP address from their end. You can connect only one computer to the ethernet port on the modem.

How do you connect more than one computer to the single ethernet port on the modem? Well, obviously you need a hub or switch with multiple ethernet ports. Then you need a DHCP server to generate more IP address - that is what a router does.

The DSL modem in routing mode does that. Just connect its ethernet port to a multi-port hub or switch.

But the 660 doesn't have the best router, so many people use an external router with the modem set to bridge.
th3orydot
Rileyville, VA

th3orydot

I find is hard to believe they have a modem that can't do routing.
Uh, welp, they do.

Anyhow, I bought a Netgear WPN824v2 router. I switched the piece of shit CL combo modem to Bridged mode. My computer was pulling the new IP so I hooked up the router. All 3 computers were able to pull the router page, so it was wired correctly in that regard. But, the "internet" light on the modem was no longer solid Green once I connected to the new router.

As I mentioned, I'm able to connect to the router page from the different machines, but the Internet light isn't on anymore on the modem, and I can't connect to the internet from any of the machines now that it's in Bridged mode. When I switch it back to routing, the green "Internet" light comes back on a couple minutes later.

Any clues what I'm doing wrong? Not sure why the Internet light wouldn't stay on/solid while in Bridge mode....

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Is the router's internet connection type set to dynamic or pppoe...
Is the basic settings login selection set to yes or no
th3orydot
Rileyville, VA

th3orydot

Login to access is turned off, and I ran the "automatic internet detect tool" which discovered the connection and set it up as DHCP I believe...

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to th3orydot

MVM

to th3orydot
The internet light is not supposed to be on when the modem is in bridge mode. The internet light indicates the router in the modem has an IP address and internet connectivity.

Release the WAN IP on the modem, put it in bridge mode, then unplug the PC. Connect the router to the modem and power it up. Connect the PC's to the router, and you should be good.

Your router should be set for Automatic IP (DHCP), unless your in an area that still uses PPPOE.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to th3orydot

MVM

to th3orydot
Have a look at the routers status page in the adsl port section is the ip address private or public
th3orydot
Rileyville, VA

th3orydot

So...
I had everything hooked up and working last night, was online with my hardwired computers as well as my wireless machines on the new router. When I woke up in the morning everything was offline. I messed around for a few to no avail, went back into the router settings and turned from bridge mode back to routing. For the 2nd time now, when switching back to routing mode from bridge mode, I was forced to call tech support as my modem was getting stuck in some "limbo" mode where even though I've switched it to routing, it think it's in bridge mode still, and nothing is able to connect and I get a red "internet light" on the modem.

Why does this issue happen when switching from bridge/routing, and why do you think my setup was working fine and then in the morning it was offline again? Again any help is appreciated thanks in advance.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by th3orydot:

Why does this issue happen when switching from bridge/routing

You need to release the ip address before changing the routing device

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to th3orydot

MVM

to th3orydot
What are your line statistics? You may have other issues that need addressed.

When it goes off-line, turn off the router and the modem. Power up the modem and wait for DSL sync, then power on the router. It should reconnect.

When returning the modem to router mode from bridge mode, it usually works better to use the reset button on the back of the modem and restore the factory defaults.