join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 recommendation

EGeezer

Premium Member

Recycling a BBQ grill frame

Click for full size
Click for full size
I'd posted awhile back about buying a new BBQ grill and recycling my old BBQ grill frame into a prep table. This is the result.

As luck would have it, a tenant was moving out of a rental house owned by a good friend. Among the things they'd left behind was a 23"x46" piece of polished stainless steel with a preformed 1/2" lip. It still had the white plastic protective film on it. You may notice some dings on one corner - I'd guess that's why the sheet was trashed.

My friend didn't want it, so it became my table top. I used scrap pressure treated lumber for the top's support frame and to mount gliders on bottom of the frame. I sanded and stained the redwood boards on the drop-down shelf and bottom shelf where the propane tank once rested.

A little metal sanding, Rustoleum black paint, replacement of rusty bolts and screws with stainless hardware and it came out just fine. Total cost under $15 including paint, parts and supplies.

BTW the USA made Huntington Grill cooks very well. It heats up quickly and evenly. Huntington is shipping me yet another warming rack as the original and a replacement were the wrong size. They didn't want the other racks back, so I'll use one as a cooling rack and use the other as a shelf in my garage.

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium Member
join:2011-06-11

OZZY7

Premium Member

That's awesome! Looks great! Are you sure you're not a Yankee?

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 recommendation

EGeezer

Premium Member

I'm an Appalachian-American, but I do own a Yankee Screwdriver!