how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cerdan

join:2008-01-02

1 recommendation

Employers are running social-media searches on job applicant

The next time you apply for a job, don’t be surprised if you have to agree to a social-media background check. Many U.S. companies and recruiters are now looking at your Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and other accounts and blogs — even YouTube — to paint a clearer picture of who you are.

»www.marketwatch.com/story/could- ··· carousel

Ellexa

join:2010-11-08
This is another interesting article (same idea) posted at the beginning of this month from someone who had their employer request a social media background check on them. (They flunked it.) This article also shows pictures of what the results look like when someone fails.

»gizmodo.com/5818774/this-is-a-so ··· nd-check

Although, for many people on this site, I doubt this is much of an issue. Some don't even have Facebook or Twitter, and those who do, keep it locked down pretty tight.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
reply to cerdan
(I would think it nothing new. And likely life insurance companies & various others too.)

Raymondee

join:2011-06-17
reply to cerdan
That's pretty interesting. I used to do that kind of job a few years ago. Thing is I'm not really sure they always ask for permission to the job applicant...

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
said by Raymondee:

That's pretty interesting. I used to do that kind of job a few years ago. Thing is I'm not really sure they always ask for permission to the job applicant...

They don't need to. It's publicaly viewable information. Not really different than the applicant using the web to research a potential employer.

Raymondee

join:2011-06-17
I disagree with that. If you give me your email address, I could dig stuff that you posted under a nickname that you wanted to be anonymous at the time... but 10 years later it comes back at you.

Cthen
Premium
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
reply to cerdan
Sounds like a step in the right direction if you ask me.

Think about it really. Would you hire someone who is stupid enough to leave one these accounts open to the public? If they are stupid enough to leave those things open, then what will stop them from leaking info through one these accounts?

Don't want a company seeing private info? Then don't put it on display for the whole world to see, and that is after the fact you volunteered the info in the first place.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13

1 edit
reply to Raymondee

I dont think you could with me.... I am very careful about my privacy.. I am not on any stupid social networking site,etc......

All these people are willingly giving thier privacy away and its sick!

neochu

join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Cthen

Re: Employers are running social-media searches on job applicant

said by Cthen:

Sounds like a step in the right direction if you ask me.

Think about it really. Would you hire someone who is stupid enough to leave one these accounts open to the public? If they are stupid enough to leave those things open, then what will stop them from leaking info through one these accounts?

Don't want a company seeing private info? Then don't put it on display for the whole world to see, and that is after the fact you volunteered the info in the first place.

Pretty much why I wont touch facebook, my-space, google+ or any other social networking site.

Only profile I have is on Linked in but that's pretty much just a blank online resume with Extremely limited info. Its also linked to my ISP based public email and back here of course (so its up to the employer to determine if my views expressed here fit their company culture, beyond that there's nothing here I could be hit for more than anyone else.)

One question always gets me though. If the employer finds no info or vauge info about one's activities online does that preclude as much guilt as if you had public posts of you doing the NRA thing with 50 calibres?

If so than at some point employers are going to have to accept that everyone has done regrettable things as social networking becomes more and more a societal requirement. If they truly need someone enough than they will have to accommodate minor infractions/less than perfect candidates or go without filling a position.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to cerdan
said by cerdan:

The next time you apply for a job, don’t be surprised if you have to agree to a social-media background check.

I would be far more surprised if they found anything interesting. I am on facebook primarily to stay in touch with people I wouldn't normally take the time to email. Everything is locked down, I have no personal info on it, no pictures, and my status updates are pretty boring. "back to college this week" was my most recent post a couple weekends ago.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to cerdan
Wait, you mean they haven't been doing this a long time now already? You mean to say this is new?

Oh, maybe it's just that they ask permission, that's the new part.

Oh well -- good luck! The facebook account I have under my real name has practically nothing on it. Not much more than what they could've already found out in just the normal hiring process. It's also all set to friends only.

As for googling my name and/or email address--good luck with that. Let's just say finding an invisible pink unicorn would be easier than finding the real me. Good luck linking it to any of the pseudonyms I use online as well.
--
Think Outside the Fox.