All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6

Re: Official Comcast blog about new SA guide

AnyRoom DVR has been delayed and is dependent on the phase 4 guide. Click the following link for Comcast's Ted Hodgins post about it:

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-39907
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q

I thought anyroom DVR was always part of phase 4 on the rng 200n boxes?
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by The Q:

I thought anyroom DVR was always part of phase 4 on the rng 200n boxes?

On April 6, 2011, Comcast's Ted Hodgins posted in his blog:
quote:
myDVR manager (scheduling your DVR via your phone or from the internet) is likely to start being available in some of our SA markets in the Fall and AnyRoom DVR starting just before that.
»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-38128

myDVR manager is phase 3 and AnyRoom DVR was scheduled starting just before that. Now, I think the schedule has been delayed for both phase 3 and AnyRoom DVR for general deployment. There may be some test sites this year. Except for the above post Ted has said that AnyRoom DVR is dependent on phase 4.
Russ6

Russ6

In the Comcast SA/Cisco markets, Phase 4 is for the RNG boxes starting with the RNG 200N AnyRoom DVR. Phases 2 & 3 are not pre-requisites for phase 4. Phases 2 & 3 are for all SA/Cisco STBs except the RNG STBs

For the complete post in Comcast's Ted Hodgins "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog, click the following link:

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-40080
Russ6

Russ6

The schedule for phases 2 through 4 has slipped. The interactive features in Phase 2 are being delayed until early 2012 so a patch fixing some customer impacting issues can be deployed quicker this year. Phase 3 (My DVR Manager) will be delayed until mid 2012. Phase 4 (On-Screen Guide 2.0) will also be delayed. Here is a link to Comcast's Ted Hodgins post in his "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-40738

Here is a link to the previous schedule:

»Re: Official Comcast blog about new SA guide
Russ6

1 edit

Russ6

Updated Schedule Based on Previous Information and the Following Links:

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-41040

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-41047

Note: Schedule is Subject to Change by Comcast and Comcast has not meet most of the new SA guide schedules.

Phase 1 - New OnScreen Guide S25
Houston: March 1, 2011 - April 15, 2011
All SA/Cisco Markets: May 2010 - ?
Started with Connecticut - May 2010

XFINITY: World of More
Houston: January 25, 2011 - up to a year (early 2012)

Software Patch
October 2011 - December 2011

Some of the significant customer-impacting items addressed in the upcoming software patch include:

1. Truncated DVR Recordings - Some customers are experiencing DVR recordings that end early or are being significantly cut off

2. Not Authorized message on a HD Channel - Some customers may have seen a Not Authorized overlay occasionally on authorized HD channels that they are in fact authorized to watch.

3. Pass Through available as a HD resolution option via the HD Wizard screen.

Comcast is planning to Merge Phases 2 and 3 into an Accelerated Single Guide Release
That is being discussed and worked on now. That would then deliver more features at one time; the interactive television features (Caller ID to TV, HSN Shop By Remote, Ready Remind Record and Request For Information), plus My DVR Manager (the ability to schedule your DVR from a PC, laptop or other internet connected device) and the Xfinity TV app. Comcast is targeting that release to be available in mid-2012.

Phase 2 - New OnScreen Guide with Interactive Features
Mid 2012
Starting with Connecticut and Mississippi

Phase two includes iTV (interactive TV applications) including Caller ID to the TV and PC, HSN Shop by Remote, Ready Remind Record and Request for Information applications, all of which are available now in our Motorola markets.

More information on these features can be found below:

Universal Caller ID: »www.comcast.net/callerid/

Shop-by-Remote: A convenient, new way to make HSN purchases - simply by using your remote.
»www.comcast.net/newguide ··· 0110.pdf

Request for Info: Know more?save more! Introducing an easy way to request valuable coupons and info from advertisers - simply by using your remote.
»www.comcast.net/newguide ··· tion.pdf

Ready Remind and Ready Record: Now you can conveniently set program reminders or recordings directly from certain TV show and movie advertisements.
»www.comcast.net/newguide ··· cord.pdf

Phase two also includes the Xfinity TV application (the ability to use your iPad to change channels). More information on this application is available here:
»www.xfinity.com/help/int ··· -tv-app/

Phase 3 - Remote DVR Scheduling (myDVR Manager) & XFinity TV Application
Mid 2012
Set Recordings
View/Modify Scheduled Recordings
View Completed Recordings
Modify Series Priority Lists, etc.

Phase three includes myDVR Manager (more information here »www.fancast.com/mytv/dvr).

AnyRoom DVR

AnyRoom DVR is currently available in select areas of Florida.
AnyRoom DVR for the SA-Cisco areas comes with our On Screen Guide 2.0 and is currently targeted to be available in Minneapolis by mid-2012. Note: Probably, AnyRoom DVR should be available in other areas in mid 2012, too.

Phase 4? - Tru2way Guide (On Screen Guide 2.0)
2012 ?

In SA/Cisco markets, Phase 4 will only initially be available for RNG 200-N boxes (AnyRoom DVR) and then to other RNG devices. It will not run on the SA 83I0 series Set Top Boxes. I would not run out to trade your 8300 HD box for an RNG just yet....

A sneak peek into phase four (currently in employee trials now) includes AnyRoom DVR »www.comcast.com/anyroomdvr/ and an extensive new guide with a 16:9 display and rich on-screen graphics. Other features include:

- Search results that include combined On Demand and linear television results that can be filtered
- More on-screen guide listings per page and customized grid views
- 120 minute guide listing display
- The ability to go back in time in the guide listings grid
- Network and channel logos in the guide
- Poster art in On Demand
- Additional Fast Forward and Rewind speeds in On Demand (to match the DVR experience)
- Sleep and wake timers
- Current date in the guide grid
- DVR recording setting of 'This time and this channel'
- Ability to set a default power-on channel
- All DVR scheduled recordings listed in one location (not day by day)
- Additional and detailed audio and video settings.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Russ, you said

-16:9 display and rich on-screen graphics
-120 minute guide listing display
-Network and channel logos in the guide (Not in the first post, but you see it in the second post below)
-More on-screen guide listings per page and customized grid views (TV Listings and Max Listings shown in second link below)
-Current date in the guide grid (Its in the top left cell in the first link below)

That must be the Guide 2.0 I posted in the other threads!

(This is running on a Motorola set top box)
»Re: New on screen guide in 2012?

And here is more shots from 2008 running on a PC simulator.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by cypherstream:

That must be the Guide 2.0 I posted in the other threads!

Yes, it is On-Screen Guide 2.0. I don't know if it will look like the pics that you posted since it has been so long.

I posted the schedule because phase 2 has slipped from an early 2012 release to a mid 2012 release that is merged with the phase 3 mid 2012 release. According to Ted Hodgins,
quote:
We are planning to merge the phases 2 and 3 into an accelerated single guide release; that is being discussed and worked on now.

That would then deliver more features at one time; the interactive television features (Caller ID to TV, HSN Shop By Remote, Ready Remind Record and Request For Information), plus My DVR Manager (the ability to schedule your DVR from a PC, laptop or other internet connected device) and the Xfinity TV app.

We are targeting that release to be available in mid-2012.

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-41040.
Also, the Cisco/SA AnyRoom DVR has slipped to mid 2012. Note: The original poster asked about Minneapolis, but I think other locations will be getting it then too.

According to Ted Hodgins,
quote:
AnyRoom DVR for our SA-Cisco areas comes with our On Screen Guide 2.0 and is currently targeted to be available in Minneapolis by mid-2012.

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-41047
The Q
Collegeville, PA

The Q

I thought some comcast SA areas of Florida already had anyroom DVR available to customers?

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Russ6

to Russ6

listen im all for channel and network logos in the guide, but who exactly is going to be responsible for making sure the logos are up to date and actually exist. I've seen the way Comcast handles it in the past and its pretty pathetic. The only way it would actually be useful is if they did what Moxi does and have an in house graphic design team that customers can actually contact and inform them of out of date logos. I noticed there were a few incorrect or out of date logos on the Moxi system, (because channels sometimes update their logos) sent them the correct data and it's already being taken care of, and will be completed in a week. I don't have faith Comcast can do this, I mean there really is no way of making direct contact with an engineer and resolving it one on one instead of telling a call center tech to leave a note for an engineer with no idea if they actually do.

Also their program data is usually not as good as what zap2it provides and I do hope Comcast starts using them.

Secondly when the hell is the "not authorized" issue going to be resolved for cablecard equipped devices? As I noted on the Comcast Voices page I'm seeing this issue more with cablecard equipped devicse then with the RNG200N, and I think that its because both use a cablecard for conditional access.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6 to The Q

to The Q
said by The Q:

I thought some comcast SA areas of Florida already had anyroom DVR available to customers?

Yes

According to Comcast's Ted Hodgins (see underlined section),
quote:
We are well underway with full-scale comprehensive employee trials in several markets and anticipate getting these DVR fixes out to many locations over the next two months. Our first markets for this software patch are scheduled to be in CT and MS. As we get closer to getting into customer homes I will update that information here.
Some of the significant customer-impacting items addressed in the upcoming software patch include:

1. Truncated DVR Recordings - Some customers are experiencing DVR recordings that end early or are being significantly cut off

2. Not Authorized message on a HD Channel - Some customers may have seen a Not Authorized overlay occasionally on authorized HD channels that they are in fact authorized to watch.

3. Pass Through available as a HD resolution option via the HD Wizard screen.

We continue to work the above in parallel with guide development and guide deployments of our newer guides for our newer cable boxes; On-Screen Guide 2.0, which is currently available with our AnyRoom DVR service in selected areas of Florida and On-Screen Guide 3.0 which is currently available to customers in Augusta, GA.

Additional information about On Screen Guide 2.0 will be available on Comcast Voices soon.

A peek into information about On-Screen Guide 3.0 is available here: »blog.comcast.com/2011/05 ··· nce.html
and here: »www.bizjournals.com/phil ··· page=all

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Ted Hodgins | October 4, 2011 9:40 AM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-40738
I don't know why it is taking so long for the Cisco/SA AnyRoom DVR functionality to expand from selected areas of Florida to other locations.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

What? no 16:9 guide? that guide still looks 4:3. They made a big misakke on the utube video they forgot to put the black bars on the sides of the guide, cus really, who stretches the guide?
The Q
Collegeville, PA

The Q to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

listen im all for channel and network logos in the guide, but who exactly is going to be responsible for making sure the logos are up to date and actually exist. I've seen the way Comcast handles it in the past and its pretty pathetic. The only way it would actually be useful is if they did what Moxi does and have an in house graphic design team that customers can actually contact and inform them of out of date logos. I noticed there were a few incorrect or out of date logos on the Moxi system, (because channels sometimes update their logos) sent them the correct data and it's already being taken care of, and will be completed in a week. I don't have faith Comcast can do this, I mean there really is no way of making direct contact with an engineer and resolving it one on one instead of telling a call center tech to leave a note for an engineer with no idea if they actually do.

I believe that the beauty of tru2way is that a centralized location can handle the network logo distribution to all locations and update as needed, the same way that the guide listings are updated....

I thought I read that comcast (and a lot of other cable and video providers) use Rovi as the source for guide data...»www.rovicorp.com/

Is zap2it part of tribune media services?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

yes tribune and you said it updates "as needed" who makes that determination? anyway its no big deal for right now.
The Q
Collegeville, PA

The Q

said by Mike Wolf:

yes tribune and you said it updates "as needed" who makes that determination? anyway its no big deal for right now.

I would think that each cable network would do that the same way-process that they send their schedule data for the listings. But like you I agree, not a big deal right now, time will tell if the process works..
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

This is the first time Ted specified June 2012 instead of mid 2012 for the next release, see the excerpt from Comcast's Ted Hodgins "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:
said by Ted Hodgins :
The next release which will include the myDVR capabilities, Caller ID to the TV and other features is expected to be widely available starting by June 2012. The team is also working to deliver that product sooner.

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-41199
Russ6

1 edit

Russ6

The following posts are from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· xes.html

See links (in bold) to Ted Hodgins' video about new guide features and AnyRoom DVR Guide features
said by Mike Wolf :
Hey Ted, I came across a blog entry from a few months ago and might I say you should be on camera more often

»blog.comcast.com/2010/01 ··· ter.html

So when will us SA/Cisco customers be able to enjoy the new features shown in the video I linked?

Mike Wolf | November 19, 2011 6:32 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-41237
said by Ted Hodgins :
Hello again Mr. Wolf. Wow. That video is from the archives, January 2010! Almost all of those features (and many more) showcased in that video are actually already available to our AnyRoom DVR customers in a brand new guide in two SA-Cisco markets in Florida.

A sneak peak of that new guide is available at the link below:

»www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

Additional SA-Cisco locations are also scheduled to have this new guide available this year and into next. I don't currently have a date or additional details for your area of NJ that I can share just yet.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Mike Wolf | November 21, 2011 2:26 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-41257

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

I'm sure things will work out.
The Q
Collegeville, PA

The Q

80% of comcast has motorola? If that is true, and if I owned comcast then that is where I would put my priorities (of course I live in a Motorola area)....

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
But Tru2Way is supposed to bridge the duopoly between Motorola and Cisco.

The FCC even had a deadline that has long been past regarding Tru2Way headend compatibility.

I say start rolling out this 2.0 guide to everyone (Moto AND Cisco). I think its a visual refresh that Comcast could really use now. Fios launched their new HD guide, DirecTV is rolling out theirs now, Dish Network will soon release the new XIP model receiver's, and other MSO's are looking at stuff like NDS Trio, Tivo Premiere, Arris Moxi, etc...

I say get ahead of the curve and start on this project since the competition is already working on roll out stages and implementation phases.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

I feel the same way, I want this done completely and entirely. Equality is nice.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

The following posts are from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· xes.html

The new guide is not a standard upgrade. Comcast is replacing the SARA guide with a Motorola A25 equivalent guide. That Motorola A25 equivalent guide does not have the missing features such as Picture-in-Picture, Passthrough, DVR standby mode, more recording options, support for external hard drives, et cetera. This decision by Comcast has created a lot of unhappy customers. I think "unofficial" support for external hard drives was the only major function from SARA that was added. Adding all the other missing features would have delayed the new guide even more. This is an explanation of what Comcast did and why it did it, not an endorsement of it. Note the dates on the posts and that it was 2011 instead of 2010 when most SA/Cisco areas got the new guide. There are still a few areas that haven't gotten the S25 guide and are still using SARA. Those areas are scheduled to get the S25 guide in 2012.
said by Max Levy :
Ted, is it true that Scientific Atlantic/Cisco box users will be receiving a version of the I-Guide that is already considered out of date by a couple of years and is simultaneousy or shortly being replaced for existing Motorola box users?

I hope that this is not the case. If it is the case, is the I-Guide version coming to Scientific Atlanta/Cisco a dated version of I-Guide due to the numerous delays in its implementation?

Max Levy | August 19, 2010 4:17 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-34432
said by Ted Hodgins :
Hello Mr. Levy. Thanks for your questions.

In order to start giving our SA customers a better on-screen guide experience sooner (and the subsequent additional products), the company made a decision to deliver the A25 equivalent now to our SA customers (with additional features to be added on soon) as opposed to continue to develop, test and implement an A28 equivalent (our latest Motorola guide) which would have only delayed the SA guide rollout (and subsequent projects and products) even more.

The first phase of the new guide for our SA areas is the critical path to get to Caller ID, remote DVR scheduling and other advanced features. These specific features are targeted for a future guide release. Once we get this initial guide deployed in 2010, the additional improvements and new features for our SA areas will be able to be delivered a lot faster.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Max Levy | August 24, 2010 7:18 AM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-34499

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

note that he said 2010, where as we are near the end of 2011.
TurboDan
join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ

TurboDan to The Q

to The Q
said by The Q:

80% of comcast has motorola? If that is true, and if I owned comcast then that is where I would put my priorities (of course I live in a Motorola area)....

Me too. But the issue is that Comcast doesn't give any discounts or even any semblance of acting in good faith toward the SA regions. Comcast should either sell off these regions or begin compensating customers for all of the services that are missed out on because of their lack of care for these customers.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I agree 100%. I even said why not just replace it with Motorola to begin with instead of always playing catchup with the SA/Cisco markets.
The Q
Collegeville, PA

The Q

said by Mike Wolf:

I agree 100%. I even said why not just replace it with Motorola to begin with instead of always playing catchup with the SA/Cisco markets.

As you said at the top of the page "I'm sure things will work out".

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

yup but it don't hurt to give it a kick in the right direction
Russ6
Houston, TX

4 edits

Russ6

Comcast is deploying a software patch for the SA/Cisco S25 Guide. The software patch changes one or more items documented in my "New Comcast S25 Guide Tips and Information" post. Note: The link is named for the thread that it is in and is not a link to the blog. The link to the blog is in my signature.

That post has useful information about the SA/Cisco S25 Guide.

Click the following link and follow the steps to determine if you have the software patch:

»Re: [STB] Deployment of Software Patch for SA/Cisco S25 Guide

That thread has useful information about the software patch and its deployment.

There are three items that have been addressed or partially addressed with the software patch:

1) The issue with Truncated Recordings has been corrected. The linked post explains work arounds which are no longer needed if you have the softwar patch:

»Re: [DVR] Truncated Recordings?

2) The HD Pass Through feature was one that was in the previous guide and is now re-introduced in the software patch. With the patch, Comcast customers have seen no issues when using component cables. Currently Comcast customers have experienced inconsistent and mixed results using HDMI cables with different TV sets and different cable boxes. For more information, click the linked blog entry in Comcast's Ted Hodgins "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-41255

3) The issue with Not Authorized message has been partially fixed, although some people haven't seen a big reduction in Not Authorized messages. The linked post and some posts before and after it have more details about this issue:

»Re: [STB] Deployment of Software Patch for SA/Cisco S25 Guide

I have included 4 links in my signature:

1) 'S25 Guide Blog' - This links to Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog. This blog has useful information about the SA/Cisco S25 Guide. Also, Ted will answer questions and help if you have a problem if you can't find the answer here at DSLReports.

2) 'Schedule' - This links to a post about the schedules for the SA/Cisco S25 Guide releases. Note: It is the Comcast schedule and is subject to change by Comcast so it may become out of date.

3) 'Info' - This links to this post. Which has links to more information about the SA/Cisco S25 Guide.

4) 'Patch Thread' - This links to the first post in the "Deployment of Software Patch for SA/Cisco S25 Guide" thread.
Russ6

Russ6

The following quote is a post from Comcast's Ted Hodgins "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:
quote:
Hello Stephanie and thanks for visiting Comcast Voices.

I apologize as I know that your area of Virginia has been delayed from getting the new guide more than a few times. We do have a scheduled timeframe for our final locations in Virginia (the remaining 2%) which are scheduled for the week of February 6. You should already be seeing some television commercials for the new guide and additional materials will be sent in the mail this month.

There were some challenging aspects to these former Adelphia sites in VA, WV and NC that required additional attention. Another factor guiding this timeline is that we want to be able to roll out the guide plus the guide fixes within a very short amount of time in your area so that our customers in this area have a better experience.

Areas that are scheduled to get the new on-screen guide the week of February 6 are listed below:

VIRGINIA
Albemarle County, Altavista , Amherst, Amherst County, Amissville, Augusta Springs, Bacova, Bedford County, Berryville, Blacksburg, Botetourt County, Boyce, Boydton, Bridgewater, Broadway, Brookneal, Buena Vista, Campbell County, Charlottesville, Chase City, Chatham, Christianburg, Clarke County, Clarke County, Clearbrook, Craigsville, Crimora, Crozet, Culpepper, Culpepper County, Danville, Dayton, Dublin, Elkton, Fincastle, Frederick County, Glasgow, Gordonsville, Goshen, Gretna, Grottoes, Halifax, Halifax County, Harrisonburg, Hedgesville, Hot Springs, Hurt, Jefferson County, Lacey Spring, LaCrosse, Lake Monticello, Lexington, Louisa. Louisa County, Lunenburg, Luray, Lynchburg, Madison, Madison County, Martinsville, McGaheysville, Mecklenburg, Middletown, Mineral, Montgomery County, Mountain View, Mount Clinton, Mount Crawford, New Hope, Orange, Orange County, Page County, Palmyra, Patrick County, Patrick Springs, Pittsylvania County, Pulaski, Pulaski County, Ranson, Rappahannock, Rappahannock County, Rivanna, Roanoke County, Rockbridge County, Rockingham County, Ruckersville, Salem, Shawsville, Shenandoah, Shenandoah County, South Boston, South Hill, Sperryville, Standardsville, Stanley, Staunton, Stephens City, Stephenson, Stuart, Stuarts Draft, Timberville, Troutville, Victoria, Warren County, Washington, Washington County, Waynesboro, Weyers Cave, Winchester.

WEST VIRGINIA
Berkeley County, Berkeley Springs, Bolivar, Charles Town, Hancock, Harpers Ferry, Hedgesville, Jefferson County, Martinsburg, Morgan County, Ranson, Shepardstown

NORTH CAROLINA
Caswell County, Yanceyville

There is a lot more information about the new guide available here: »www.comcast.net/meetyourguide

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Stephanie | January 6, 2012 3:44 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-42004