share rss forum feed

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

1 edit

3 recommendations

chlen stretches it cross-cuntry (and even pokes into Canada)

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
So I took the train Albany - Chicago - San Francisco (Lake Shore and Zephyr) there, then To Portland, to Vancouver, BC, to Seattle and back to Chicago via MT/ND/MN Empire builder Route back.

Hundreds of conversations and a thousand of pictures later I felt like this was a truly once in a life-time experience. I met many people, drank with the best and worst, played roadhouse blues in Chicago, and old rail-road music on the side of the tracks in Reno.

I walked and conquered solid chunks of San Francisco, Chicago, Oakland, Portland, Vancouver (BC), and Seattle. The photos from my DSLR are too big to upload so here are some from the point and shoot.

There is really more to say about this then I can ever in a post and the pics do it no justice.
--
This is not the greatest post in the world, no, this is just a tribute!

-

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8

Nice pics.

What's with the photo of common fast food?
--
My Blog 2.2

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
Saratoga, NY

said by Gbcue:

Nice pics.

What's with the photo of common fast food?

I dont eat fast food and have not had any in probably 10 years. We don't have In and Out on the East Coast, I wanted to try it, it was fine, I liked it.
--

-

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Cross cuntry, eh?

Jokes aside, looks like a fantastic trip!

Dezbend
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-20
reply to chlen

are you a hobo?

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

If so, do you have a shotgun?

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
kudos:4
reply to chlen

Should have hopped off at Omaha for a few hours. I'da made ya a sandwich.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria
reply to chlen

Nice! Thanks for sharing. Glad you had a great time.

@Protus: I want a sammich!
--
Play DSLr Mafia: »Pub Games

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

The dude needing $1 for weed cracked me up.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
Saratoga, NY
reply to ProtusMose

said by ProtusMose:

Should have hopped off at Omaha for a few hours. I'da made ya a sandwich.

Flooding made us go around Omaha to Lincoln. Nebraska was really cool actually. So flat man... you could see an entire storm out the window and all the lightning strikes at once it was quite a scene. We have hills everywhere, I am surrounded by mountains, so being in a place that it just perfectly flat, you kind of lose all perspective.

@others,

I am a hobo and I do own a shotgun.
--

-

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
Saratoga, NY
reply to Kristopher

said by Kristopher:

The dude needing $1 for weed cracked me up.

Funny side note to that, I did not want to bring my stash with me into Canada just in case (also I was going to BC where it is not exactly hard to find) so I just gave it to some hippy in a Portland music shop, he was paranoid as hell. I guess nobody gave him free weed before.

So many homeless out west, I totally forgot they exist. Giuliani cleaned NYC up real good and there are not many that can survive a Boston winter... so I was a bit surprised in San Fran although Oakland was exactly as I pictured it.
--

-

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
Bellevue, NE
reply to chlen

Around here by the river, there's lots of hills, but yet, after you get past Omaha, you can see forever. Not as bad as North Dakota, but close.

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA
reply to chlen

said by chlen:

So many homeless out west, I totally forgot they exist. Giuliani cleaned NYC up real good and there are not many that can survive a Boston winter... so I was a bit surprised in San Fran although Oakland was exactly as I pictured it.

You should visit San Diego sometime. The year round sunny and mostly warm weather makes it a haven for the homeless.
--
flickr gallery | photo blog (rarely updated) | play mafia!

Jim
Premium
join:2003-02-10
reply to chlen

So, chlen, how long was the trek anyway? I mean time wise?

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

said by Jim:

I'd guess time sped up again once he gave his stash to the music store hippie. Prior to that, it was muddled.
--
Play DSLr Mafia: »Pub Games

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
Saratoga, NY
reply to Jim

said by Jim:

just 16 days...

I have all this time off, but using it when you are on all these projects is a huge PITA.
--

-

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
Saratoga, NY
reply to brian

said by brian:

said by chlen:

You should visit San Diego sometime. The year round sunny and mostly warm weather makes it a haven for the homeless.

Can't you guys do something about that. It really hurts inside.

I mean seriously hurts, I tripped over this one guy in San Francisco and my ankle is still sore. What you guys need is a New Jersey.
--

-

muzscman
Mr. President
Premium
join:2002-02-15
Florissant, MO
kudos:3

You have to make it down to St. Louis one of these days. I have a couch you can crash on and plenty in my stash for a friend. Oh and guitars/instruments. House is full of them.
--
Mafia: »Pub Games
Remember the golden rule of the internet..it's the place where men are men, women are also men, and children are the FBI.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
Saratoga, NY

said by muzscman:

You have to make it down to St. Louis one of these days. I have a couch you can crash on and plenty in my stash for a friend. Oh and guitars/instruments. House is full of them.

Appreciate it, this work both ways man, if you ever want to chill upstate or head out to Boston, Montreal or NYC.

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
Bellevue, NE

I'll wave when I'm driving from Boston to Connecticut in September.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to chlen

Love travelling by train...

If you don't mind - how many peso's did this little oddessy set you back? At least the train portion... I've done the Northland Express (Toronto to Cochrane) in Ontario, and would love to do the cross-Canada run...

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
Saratoga, NY

said by LazMan:

Love travelling by train...

If you don't mind - how many peso's did this little oddessy set you back? At least the train portion... I've done the Northland Express (Toronto to Cochrane) in Ontario, and would love to do the cross-Canada run...

I used the USA rail pass (~350) which gave me 8 connections in 15 days and I upgraded the Chicago - San Fran and Seattle - Chicago routes to sleepers which include food and some booze for around 500 each which is ok between my brother and I. You can get the sleepers cheaper but not in advance and from what I have seen in the summer they go quick. The staff was really good on the long haul Zephyr and Empire Builder lines and pretty bad on the Lake Shore. Cascades was a really nice train (Portland to Vancouver). Starlight was just ok.

AMTRAK is not too different from VIA (I have taken it from Montreal to Toronto).
--

-