Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to chlen

Re: chlen stretches it cross-cuntry (and even pokes into Canada)

Love travelling by train...

If you don't mind - how many peso's did this little oddessy set you back? At least the train portion... I've done the Northland Express (Toronto to Cochrane) in Ontario, and would love to do the cross-Canada run...

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

said by LazMan:

Love travelling by train...

If you don't mind - how many peso's did this little oddessy set you back? At least the train portion... I've done the Northland Express (Toronto to Cochrane) in Ontario, and would love to do the cross-Canada run...

I used the USA rail pass (~350) which gave me 8 connections in 15 days and I upgraded the Chicago - San Fran and Seattle - Chicago routes to sleepers which include food and some booze for around 500 each which is ok between my brother and I. You can get the sleepers cheaper but not in advance and from what I have seen in the summer they go quick. The staff was really good on the long haul Zephyr and Empire Builder lines and pretty bad on the Lake Shore. Cascades was a really nice train (Portland to Vancouver). Starlight was just ok.

AMTRAK is not too different from VIA (I have taken it from Montreal to Toronto).
--
This is not the greatest post in the world, no, this is just a tribute!

-