All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Bear1
join:2009-03-10
New York, NY

Bear1

[TWC] How long does it take to register a new modem?

Im planning to switch my current modem to another modem that i bought in the store. Im wondering how long does it take to register a new modem with twc? is it as simple as calling in and within minutes or does it take days?

TWC Sub
@rr.com

TWC Sub

Anon

it is simply a few minutes IF they answer the phone in a timely manner... good luck with that...
Bear1
New York, NY

Bear1

hmm well i just called they said it will take up to 3 days since its my own modem from the store. I spoke to a teir 3 cust support he gave me my ticket number
Aaron M
join:2002-03-01
Monrovia, CA

Aaron M to Bear1

to Bear1
A 10-15min call was all it took for me. Once I gave them the MAC ID it was up and running by the time I hung up.
Bear1
New York, NY

Bear1

Hmm I called again and they said it will take 3�€“5 days what number did you call?
Aaron M
join:2002-03-01
Monrovia, CA

Aaron M

said by Bear1:

Hmm I called again and they said it will take 3�€“5 days what number did you call?

I called 877-777-7371, but I'm in Southern California, so they might do things differently.

ChillyCat6
join:2004-09-07
Chesterland, OH

ChillyCat6

Agree with Aaron, a brief [no reservations] phone call with
mac address in hand and a couple minutes = activated
Bear1
New York, NY

Bear1

hmm you called the same number?

Natedog321
join:2001-01-10
Raleigh, NC

Natedog321 to Bear1

to Bear1
it takes 3-5 business days in the NY/NJ region.
TWCdude
join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX

TWCdude to Bear1

to Bear1
It should be instant once you find someone who can add the modems. It takes longer to get the mac address off the customer than it takes to activate it.
Bear1
New York, NY

Bear1

=/ i cant seem to find the person that could do it for me depressed..
would the people over here be able to do it instantly? »/fo ··· erdirect

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

2 edits

rchandra to Bear1

Premium Member

to Bear1
said by Bear1:

Ordinarily it's a few keystrokes from a rep. and the old HFC MAC is de-authorized and a new one is authorized. Then they may or may not be able to reboot your modem remotely; my guess is most of the time, yes. Then the new one takes effect. There may be a delay on the order of minutes while the new data makes its way to your termination system (CMTS).

You have to understand though that TWC is just a brand name with what amounts to "franchisees." That's due in part to acquisitions/mergers, such as Adelphia and TCI of Buffalo. Rather than just chuck perfectly good systems of all sorts, at least for some time they run on the acquired company's systems (until upgrades are warranted for example...like replacing DOCSIS 2 with 3.0).

Another thing though, it's a pain in the behind for them to support customer-owned modems. I don't think I'm telling tales out of school when I say they don't like to accommodate that. They'll do it for now, but given their druthers, they'd like to rent you a modem. My case is a good example. I too don't relish the idea of paying every month for equipment. But they made a change to improve their services which effectively knocked me offline because my CPE was loaded w/ firmware such that it had a bug which behaved really, really badly when it got one of these new parameters. Fixing the problem would have been possible, but would be outside their normal operations (download firmware as commanded by the TFTPed config file while booting). I had to replace the modem physically. These days it's typical that the stated price for service includes modem rental, and it's only a separate line item on your bill (as a credit) if you're grandfathered in as having a non-TWC-owned CPE.

If it were I, I would be asking why you're being quoted 3-5 days, as in, what goes on during those days. Maybe with your particular division it's genuinely their policies and procedures to do something different than most other customers.

Also, if I didn't know any better, this sounds like something they're telling you to discourage you from switching to your own CPE. It clearly does not take days to complete with other customers (such as the other posters and me). But maybe your division/region/whatever queues work unlike other divisions. And who knows, they may be saying this to make themselves look good (well, it usually takes up to five days, but look! We managed to do it in less than an HOUR!).
Bear1
New York, NY

1 edit

Bear1

lol sorry for the weird characters in the 3-5 i typed it on my phone and it came out weird. in the paast when a twc tech came to my home to replace my modem. it only took him 1 call and all he said was here's the new mac id ..put it in.. that was it.. lol
Night0wl
join:2011-06-23

Night0wl

Just so you are aware, there is no credit in NYC for owning your own modem. The modem is built into the price.

Tappedout
@rr.com

Tappedout to Bear1

Anon

to Bear1
When I moved I got a new modem and the guy doing the wiring install called the new MAC in and I had a connection.
There should be no increase in time if you have a store brought modem but I don't understand buying one since it is of no economic advantage.
Expand your moderator at work

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to Bear1

Premium Member

to Bear1

Re: [TWC] How long does it take to register a new modem?

After they answer, it takes 3-5 minutes to activate the new modem.

rblenkhorn
Premium Member
join:2003-07-15
Bangor, ME

rblenkhorn to Bear1

Premium Member

to Bear1
so did you get the mac authorized? how long did it end up taking?
Bear1
New York, NY

Bear1

Well I made a post in the direct forums... Then got a call from client relations and they registered my modem in two minutes.