Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Comcast Dory Modem

I just got my Comcast Digital Voice back today and the installer installed the Dory Modem and I decided to set up the Wi-Fi myself because I refuse to pay the 149.99 install fee.

To make a long story short, the installer said to avoid the 149.99 fee, i'd have to call customer service to set up the wi-fi. I went into the modem myself through it's IP address which is 10.0.0.1 and I got the login screen. I looked up on the comcast.com support page for the password which is username admin and the password is password. I login to the modem using Safari and I get a screen full of unintelligible html code. I then used FireFox for Mac and got it setup ok.

The installer reassured me that there would be no install fee for the gateway, but he was a contractor and the dispatcher said that it would be a 99 cdv install but the sales rep at the CCC at Best Buy said it was free install just 29 activation.

I am just wondering if anyone else has any experience with the Dory (good, bad, and/or ugly).

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

dorys are still somewhat new....had some buggy firmware (wifi kept dropping) that got updated last week...dont recall what version it is though.....
--
I'm better than you!

nikeherc

join:2004-09-30
Tucson, AZ
reply to IowaCowboy

»forums.comcast.com/

check the opinions on the networking help forum

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

said by nikeherc:

»forums.comcast.com/

check the opinions on the networking help forum

I hang out there and I have yet to see anything concerning that device..

nikeherc

join:2004-09-30
Tucson, AZ

1 edit

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Netwo···p/922033

Some folks order the free netgear router to hook up to the Dory to get a decent wireless range.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

Wonder who that "EG" character is ?

tpkatl

join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA
reply to gar187er

Re: Comcast Dory Modem in a very attractive case

There was a rumor that one of the reasons that Comcast chose this model was that it comes in a very attractive, sleek case.

Basically they wanted it to be Hunky-Dory.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net

said by tpkatl:

There was a rumor that one of the reasons that Comcast chose this model was that it comes in a very attractive, sleek case.

Basically they wanted it to be Hunky-Dory.

A complaint i would hear constantly was about the number of boxes and wires involved in a modem and router being separate. I like the way it looks personally, it is pretty sleek looking and customers like it so far. If you really need long range you should probably just buy your own devices anyway.