All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

topgun
join:2011-01-31

topgun to nycityny

to nycityny

Re: Surprised by Fee Add-ons

Every phone bill I had added an extra fee or "padded the tax" to aid for the administration of collecting the tax. I know most people think it is scummy adding an administration tax. However people don't work for free and PP employees are no different. What sets most VoIp companies apart is the admin fees are not meant to make a huge second revenue stream off of.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

1 recommendation

ptrowski

Premium Member

So how do you know how companies use the added fees?

topgun

topgun

Well, you could ask them and hope they are honest? I think it mostly boils down to common sense if you like the service, know the value you are getting it to what you are paying, price is competitive, then it is a personal preference to stay or go? I know PP is competitive, they provide reliable service, great tech support, so I'm going to stay put. A 10-20.00 increase is not worth the time, aggravation, hassle, to try the next flavor of the week. There are people paying 24.95 to VoicePulse which is more then alot of providers here. At the end of day it is what you are happy with and willing to pay.

With any budget VoIp company like PP it is well known they are not making a killing off their customers. So it is safe to say they are not doing it to make revenue or "screw the customers". I'm sorry that Uncle Sam wants two extra McChickens this year, might I suggest we all write him

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

You didn't answer my question though....

"What sets most VoIp companies apart is the admin fees are not meant to make a huge second revenue stream off of."

So what are they meant to be and how do you know your above statement is true?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by ptrowski:

So what are they meant to be and how do you know your above statement is true?

It's my understanding that fees are just passed through to the consumer, with whatever markup is needed to cover the costs of collecting the fees, and paying them to the governing body imposing them.

You can usually tell if they're a significant revenue stream if they're marked up 150% or more from the actual fee imposed by whomever is imposing the fees. You can track that number down yourself, since it's in the public record, for your area.

topgun

topgun

Thanks John...I did not know how to reply with anything other then common sense, which would be a spinoff of what I said above ^. I guess another way of putting it would be check out the competition see that they are charging for taxes and do some comparing as well?