how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dragonphan

join:2011-07-28
Lafayette Hill, PA

Samsung Smart TV App for Xfinity??

Back in January, Comcast made a big showing at the CES Show, announcing their partnership with Samsung to produce a Smart TV app that would eliminate the need for a cable box. Seven Months later, there doesn't seem to be any information out there as to if or when this app will become a reality. I've never been a fan of cable boxes, and I've been waiting for the day that they would start to go away. This new app seems like a good start.

Does anybody have any information? I'm in the market for a new TV, but I'm holding out until this app becomes a reality.

halfband
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL

2 edits

Turning Blue yet? Wow, you might be waiting a while as comcast has never been known as speedy gonzales when it comes to software development, even with outside collaboration. Set-top box software is often slow and clunky. Embedded app software on TVs is often slow and clunky. A double dose of that may have you growing old before your time.
--
Registered Bandwidth Offender #40812

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
reply to dragonphan

Maybe in the year 2018.
--
Caddy

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
reply to dragonphan

No such thing.

»www.comcast.com/About/PressRelea···RID=1031

You will still need a cable box.

dragonphan

join:2011-07-28
Lafayette Hill, PA

Actually, I did find tons of material online and on youtube from the CES that stated that you won't need a cable box.

I just wonder what Comcast likes to waste everybody's time at these shows, when they never seem to follow through with anything. A couple years ago, they stated that they would support Tru2Way, and 2 way cable cards. They also made mention of things like portable DVR's, which actually would now be obsolete with iphones and ipads.

Just thinking that Comcast should keep their mouths shut until they are actually ready to implement their ideas.

ak3883

join:2005-08-20
Portsmouth, RI
reply to dragonphan

Time Warner seemed to go towards the direction of offering linear channels via internet/IP, as announced at CES.

I'm wondering about this myself, since I don't have Time Warner, but have access to a "MyServices" login that lets you use the watch ESPN app, and watch ESPN online, since my parents have it. Will this app authenticate via IP address, or just by signing in with a user name/pw(just like how you sign into xfinity online)?

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to dragonphan

said by dragonphan:

Actually, I did find tons of material online and on youtube from the CES that stated that you won't need a cable box.

There are DirecTV and Time Warner apps for the Samsung TV that allow the TV to access A DIFFERENT cable box/server in the home. As long as ONE cable box/server is in the home, then the Samsung TV can access it. This is not the same as the Comcast app, which requires a box connected to the TV itself. The Comcast app is nothing more than:

1. Converts the Galaxy TAB into a Super Remote that control both the TV and THE CONNECTED COMCAST DVR to the TV.
2. Allows the TV to become a streaming server for the Galaxy TAB providing access from the Galaxy TAB to THE CONNECTED COMCAST DVR to the TV.
3. Allows the TV Remote and an on-screen TV application to set recordings, change the channel, navigate the on-demand menu, etc on THE CONNECTED COMCAST DVR to the TV.

Too Long Didn't Read:

Comcast-Samsung APP allows: Galaxy Tab to be a SUPER REMOTE and stream on-demand, recordings, live-TV from the TV to the tablet while the TV allows control over the DVR. The app is a super remote FOR THE CABLE BOX CONNECTED to the TV!

TimeWarner-Samsung APP allows: the Samsung TV to access a cable box anywhere in the home. As long as the home has a cable box, the Samsung TV will be able to watch live/recorded/etc. TV. If the home has no cable box, the Samsung TV will not be able to watch encrypted TV.

DirecTV-Samsung APP allows the TV to connect directly with the DirecTV HOME SERVER without the need for a satelite box like other TV's will have (to power the guide and remote-control, etc.).

ALL 3 of the partnerships at CES announced by Samsung require a "cable box", Comcast most of all that requires a box on the TV itself. Time Warner requires a box somewhere in the home. DirecTV requires the "Home Server" gateway box.

quote:
Hate your cable set-top box? So does Samsung, apparently. They've cut deals with Comcast, Time Warner Cable and DirecTV to offer various features that will allow you to watch TV either without a box, or access your cable subscription through an app on the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

The Comcast partnership focuses on the Galaxy Tab, basically turning it into an epic remote control of doom.

While you'll still need a set-top box for this one, it's still reasonably cool. Comcast is developing an app for both the Galaxy Tab and the iPad that will allow you to access some features of your cable subscription on those devices.link
quote:
Comcast will show off the latest and greatest version of its Samsung app in June at The Cable Show in Chicago, and "we'll launch it by Christmas," Comcast EVP and CTO Tony Werner said link
It's only August... Christmas is still celebrated on December 25th, isn't it?

quote:
Comcast’s offering starts out pretty mild, with a new interface on the TV that is more enjoyable to browse, like a Web site, rather than a TV guide. The tablet version lets subscribers search listings, access DVR recordings and watch video on demand from thousands of content choices. Some of the more far off stuff was being able to change the TV channel from the tablet, and then watching a movie on a tablet, pausing it and then resuming it on a Samsung Smart TV. link
EDIT: linking the OFFICIAL CES release statement from Comcast again:
»www.comcast.com/About/PressRelea···RID=1031

--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

I thought Samsung was just going to make OCAP TV's then comcast would publish their software to it......

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ak3883

said by ak3883:

Time Warner seemed to go towards the direction of offering linear channels via internet/IP, as announced at CES.

I'm wondering about this myself, since I don't have Time Warner, but have access to a "MyServices" login that lets you use the watch ESPN app, and watch ESPN online, since my parents have it. Will this app authenticate via IP address, or just by signing in with a user name/pw(just like how you sign into xfinity online)?

The Xfinity online options available to tablets and smartphones require you to authenticate the device while connected to the internet via the subscribers cable modem. In other words, to watch On-Demand on an IPad, I have to authenticate the IPad on xfinity.com WHILE connected via MY cable modem and then I can go anywhere (I don't think it works internationally, actually) and access it.

Since news releases by both MSO's have continuously spoke of partnerships and "likeness" in authentication and Hollywood-backlash-you-are-stealing-our-movies-proof encryption, it is possible that Time Warner is similar. If you are using a portable device, just download the app while at your parents house It should authenticate the device to their account, but there are limits to how many devices and other stuff, so you may want to ensure you are not causing them something billable? FYI: I have seen an IPad control both Comcast and DirecTV DVR's. The owner of the IPad had divorced parents and did not subscribe to either himself.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

Comcast is not part of the RVU alliance are they? I take it this is a proprietary communication between the TV App and the home media server (cable box)?

I know DirecTV's implementation is RVU (kind of like Remote Desktop on a PC).

No plans for a pure IP to headend server based TV App? It all needs a home server box right, why because of the CableCard?

I know Optimum does IP address checking as well as username/password in it's authentication to watch live TV on the ipad. Friend from Jersey was over and tried to show me the app and it said that he had to be logged in from his home. I guess there's an extra step in the CMTS DHCP process that records your IP address to a database that this app checks and makes sure you are coming from.

ak3883

join:2005-08-20
Portsmouth, RI
reply to markofmayhem

Yea, I'm sure about the no extra charge. They do make it so the username/pw to access video(ESPN3 remote access, ESPNnetworks.com, etc) is the same as your billing login, so you can't just create a new email account and give those credentials to a buddy. Since I'm the tech support number for their household, they don't mind sharing/letting me use the online video stuff

I know for TWC's iPad app that lets you watch linear channels, you MUST be on your home's wifi network. But an iPad is portable, a big HDTV isn't really portable, so maybe it just needs to be activated on your home internet, who knows.

I no longer have Comcast/Xfinity having recently moved, Cox is not nearly as up to snuff on this stuff as Comcast was. Their "remote DVR scheduling" app is a complete joke compared to the Xfinity app, believe me.