Quiglag
God is Love
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Ontario, CA

Quiglag

Premium Member

South California To Be 51st State?

I don't think this have been posted here yet.

There is a new movement to make the 13 conservative counties in southern California into a new State called South California (no LA county). The idea is to solve the fighting about the direction of the state, by simply dividing it.

The 13 counties would be Riverside County, Fresno, Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Mono, Orange, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Tulare,

The person behind the plan is Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Stone

He has a website for the plan here »www.californiarebellion2012.com/

Here is a radio interview about why he is pushing for the new state.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 9VrIbtWA
Quiglag

Quiglag

Premium Member

There was a new interview that was linked from the California Rebellion blog, but the blog seems to be down. Below is the link to the interview from the Alana Burke Show.

In the interview Stone clarifies that the 13 counties were just his starting point, and that if other counties wanted to join, they would be welcomed. All of this would be discussed during a county summit in October.

»kcnr1460.com/media/podca ··· 7-22.mp3

Waldothe3rd
Premium Member
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand

Waldothe3rd to Quiglag

Premium Member

to Quiglag
It'll have my vote...

shortckt
Watchen Das Blinken Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-12-05
Tenant Hell

shortckt to Quiglag

Premium Member

to Quiglag
I don't see any indication that Supervisor Stone and his followers have found a way to keep money out of local politics. Where money and politics converge there is ample opportunity for the dual influence of unions and corruption, so eventually SCal would fall to the same ills that CA has.

Aside from that, the cynical me thinks this movement will fizzle out after awhile, but may shake things up a little bit in Sacramento.

I wonder what the new state's postal abbreviation would be?

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings to Quiglag

to Quiglag
The proposed arrangement would mean that Orange County would be subsidizing IE hell holes. No thanks.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon to Quiglag

to Quiglag
I wonder if it were to succeed, how intra-state commerce would be affected.

- FM

Quiglag
God is Love
Premium Member
Ontario, CA

Quiglag to No_Strings

Premium Member

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

The proposed arrangement would mean that Orange County would be subsidizing IE hell holes. No thanks.

I don't know where you get this OC elite attitude, but the IE doesn't need subsidies from OC. Despite the business unfriendliness of the state, the IE is the fastest growing place for businesses in the state.

Besides, the OC is probably already supporting LA county and S.F. like the rest of the state.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon

...prolly make it easier for Mexico to snatch it up, tho...

- FM

Waldothe3rd
Premium Member
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand

Waldothe3rd

Premium Member

I was thinking the first step would have to be enlarging the Port of San Diego to go into competition with the ports of LA/LB.

Is what Jeff Stone is proposing a perfect solution? Absolutely not - but it will get us away from Sacramento. It's the only plan that has me excited over what is on the horizon for us now.

Will it happen? I feel better odds of me winning the lottery...

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings to Quiglag

to Quiglag
It's not elitist, it's math. Smaller county, more money. If you don't need us, make your own state out of the dry, boring parts and see how it works out.

sholling
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Hemet, CA

sholling to Quiglag

Premium Member

to Quiglag
I'm all for it. N_S is just afraid that we won't have the same stupid high taxes and silly laws the old Peoples Republic.

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings

Fewer silly laws, probably.

Lower taxes? Doubtful. Show me the plan.

sholling
Premium Member
Hemet, CA

1 edit

sholling

Premium Member

The plan is to leave all of the big spending left leaning counties as the Peoples Republic Of NorCal.

Map courtesy USAToday.

BIGMIKE
Q
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Gainesville, FL

BIGMIKE to Quiglag

Premium Member

to Quiglag
More than 220 campaigns to split California into halves, or thirds, have been bandied about since the 1850s, most echoing similar arguments that the state had grown too large and was paralyzed by politicians and bureaucrats who ignored the concerns of the people.

"Secession proposals are just ways of thinking about California, and are also ways for people who feel neglected get the attention that they deserve," said USC historian Kevin Starr, who has written extensively on California. "It's never passed, and it will never pass. It's been up to bat 220 times and struck out every time.' »articles.latimes.com/201 ··· 20110711

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium Member
join:2007-09-18
Monterey, CA

TheRul

Premium Member

One thing will get in the way... Aquaduct. And I don't want to be saddled with LA!

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium Member
join:2005-06-21
Seattle, WA

WiFiguru

Premium Member

said by TheRul:

One thing will get in the way... Aquaduct. And I don't want to be saddled with LA!

That's what I said to some friends,

The "North" would have control of the duct.

Bloominite
Premium Member
join:2004-04-17

2 edits

Bloominite

Premium Member

said by WiFiguru:

said by TheRul:

That's what I said to some friends,

The "North" would have control of the duct.

Actually (IIRC), the aqueduct is only operated and maintained by California. The US department of the Interior owns, funds and controls both the water and and all the facilities (including canals, reservoirs and pumping stations unless things have changed since construction began. You really don't think your northern ancestors would have given up that water and even helped pay for its delivery to the south do you?

edit: It looks like I'm wrong and the aqueduct itself may be state owned while some of the pumps and other facilities are fed-owned. Does anyone have the definitive answer?

sholling
Premium Member
Hemet, CA

sholling to TheRul

Premium Member

to TheRul
said by TheRul:

You're already saddled with LA.

Without the Peoples Republic of Los Angeles to support I'm not sure how much if any water the State of South California would need from the north. After all we'd have Colorado River water.

seagreen
Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there

seagreen

Mod

said by sholling:

After all we'd have Colorado River water.

Yeah, right. Let us know how that works out for you.
»www.lvrj.com/news/report ··· 959.html

ohdan
join:2008-11-10
Adelanto, CA

ohdan

Long time no sea!

Quiglag
God is Love
Premium Member
Ontario, CA

Quiglag

Premium Member

I think most of SoCal (not LA) gets its water from other sources. Santa Ana River? I know Ontario pumps well water.

If LA was in another state, the Owens Valley might get their lake back. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca ··· ter_Wars

sholling
Premium Member
Hemet, CA

sholling to seagreen

Premium Member

to seagreen
said by seagreen:

Yeah, right. Let us know how that works out for you.
»www.lvrj.com/news/report ··· 959.html

That story reads like a good GW fantasy but I'm not buying into it.
»thenewamerican.com/tech- ··· ists-say

seagreen
Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there

seagreen

Mod

Nope. Not getting sucked in to the GW argument with you.