»9to5mac.com/2011/07/28/a ··· e+Reader

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Good lord. Penalize heavy users of an unlimited data plan? The state of data plans just keeps getting worse and worse.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

I mean there is the glass ceiling throttle of the fact it's the ATT network...

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to mromero

Premium Member

to mromero
So, there is no difference if you're on a metered plan.

The goal here is to make the grandfathered plans even less desirable over time, while adhering to the letter of the agreement.

Seems reasonable to me.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Sure, let's just keep eroding everything so we can get less and less value for our dollar. Absurd.

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

1 recommendation

RiseAbove to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

I mean there is the glass ceiling throttle of the fact it's the ATT network...

+1 would read again.

Such a true comment.
RiseAbove

1 recommendation

RiseAbove to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

Sure, let's just keep eroding everything so we can get less and less value for our dollar. Absurd.

That is AT&T's slogan. When was the last time you ever heard of ATT doing anything that legitimately helping the customer? Everything for them is a game and how can they win at trying to suck out every last cent in your pocket.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

1 recommendation

Nezmo to JohnInSJ

MVM

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

Seems reasonable to me.

You really mean that don't you. Wow.

With all respect, are you an AT&T employee? Or a major stockholder?

Sometimes the amount of excuses made for a company reaches a nonsense point.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to mromero

MVM

to mromero
I still have the "grandfathered" $30 "unlimited" data plan. By the wording of this article, I'm assuming even I would receive the wireless data equivalent of a "cock-block" after 2 GB?
The "unlimited" glass ceiling on my plan used to be 5 GB. My bill still says "unlimited". I rarely hit 2 GB.
As much as I enjoy my iPhone and all the cool stuff I can do with it (JB), it really seems like AT&T wants me to go to Sprint.
Maybe I'm bitter because I just paid my AT&T wireless bill, but it really seems like they want to push customers away.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

Not only that but according to 9to5mac, Apple and Verizon are arguing over letting 3g facetime calls over 3g to *only* those on tiered plans.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to mromero

Premium Member

to mromero
It's shocking how much effort AT&T is willing to put into making their network suck instead of making the necessary improvements. Verizon continues to plow away as a leader in LTE, something which was supposed to be an easier step for AT&T's and their GSM network. What do we get? Throttling. Thanks, assholes.

Rethink possible - Is it possible to suck more? With AT&T, it will!

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5 to mromero

Premium Member

to mromero
Who are these people (heavy users)? Don't they have jobs?
quote:
We’ve heard that, just like tiers before them, throttling of data will not effect 95% of the subscriber base. In fact, that top 5% of users using the most data account for approximately 30% of the bandwidth. There is no defined GB amount that is known yet that will put someone in the top 5%, but we’ve been told that 12,000 emails, 12,000 website views, 4 streaming movies and 5 hours of streaming music will start to put you close to that upper range of usage.
No. I'm not defending ATT and throttling. I'm just wondering who has the time to use that much data? I've never come close to 500MB a month.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Use any streaming such as Sirius/XM etc and it will go up. I do maybe 1.5 hours a day on my commute in and out of work and am over 1.3 GB total usage.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

said by JohnInSJ:

Seems reasonable to me.

Or a major stockholder?

Bingo. For-profit companies are for profit.

And, I am a firm believer in metered billing for consumption-based resources. The unlimited grandfathered plan, introduced when the iPhone was 2G/Edge, should revert to 2G/Edge speed after consuming 2GB. It's what TMobile does, and no one gives them crap over it.
JohnInSJ

JohnInSJ to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

You get exactly the same value as before - you can use as much data as you want. You just can't use it as fast.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Which is eroding my value. Bandwidth costs are going DOWN. Metered billing and these tiers/caps are two different things. This is just a total BS move to force people to not use the network I pay for every month.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

said by ptrowski:

Which is eroding my value. Bandwidth costs are going DOWN. Metered billing and these tiers/caps are two different things. This is just a total BS move to force people to not use the network I pay for every month.

^This. I know how some people would bend over for UBB but I guess they like paying more every month or getting less value for their buck. Keep drinking the koolaid UBB fanboys, its gona bite you in the ass later on.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

I am no fan of UBB either but at least that to me makes more sense than these caps and now throttling. Why this magical 2 GB number if that is where it will land. It had best be 5 GB at least. I have been a customer of SWB then Cingular and now AT&T ever since the late 90's and this type of crap is really making me question that.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

The usage is just going to get lower and lower and the price is gona go higer. Gotta love corporate america. Dont forget, AT&T & the TMO merger crap, just imagine whats going to happen then.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

So vote with your wallet.
Edit: and you're the one on the unlimited plan. On the metered plan, you pay for the usage, and the speed stays the same.

You can use the network all you want. Just not at high speed, if you're using it for free (as compared to your metered friends who don't have the unmetered option.)

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

I very well might have to do that. And I am not using it for free, they have been getting my money every month and delivering a good product since the 3G came out. So now I should expect to get less value for the $30 a month I spend on my product. To go from close to 5 mb to 256 k over some falsified bandwidth issue is absurd.

This is just another example of why the satisfaction rate with AT&T is sinking.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by ptrowski:

This is just another example of why the satisfaction rate with AT&T is sinking.

It has zero impact on my satisfaction, or anyone who joined AT&T after the unlimited plan was retired.

Nothing changed except for those on unlimited. They (you) can choose to get off that any time, and get away from lower speeds for unlimited use any day. You'll trade it for unlimited metered use at full speed.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Of course it wouldn't as you obviously defend them on anything pro-company.
Look, this will go around and around. But the basic truth here is eroding the value of my grandfathered data plan for a false reason is crap. This has nothing to do with congestion it has everything to do with maximizing profits.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by ptrowski:

Of course it wouldn't as you obviously defend them on anything pro-company.

No, it doesn't because MY plan and performance haven't changed at all.

Sure it sucks for you on your grandfathered plan that isn't offered anymore and that AT&T wants you to drop.

But to whine like this is the end of AT&T or a horrible profit grab is just silly. They're reducing the speed of plans that have unlimited data, after using some amount of data greater or equal to 2GB.

So for an extra $5 a month, you can continue to use as much data as you want, vs the $25 plan - your extra data will come in at closer to Edge speed.

If you find that offensive, exercise your right to leave.

I agree it has everything to do with getting rid of people who use a lot of data without generating any revenue. So? Welcome to capitalism.

neuronbob
Cavs NBA Champs 2016
join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH

neuronbob to SandShark5

to SandShark5
said by SandShark5:

quote:
We’ve heard that, just like tiers before them, throttling of data will not effect 95% of the subscriber base. In fact, that top 5% of users using the most data account for approximately 30% of the bandwidth. There is no defined GB amount that is known yet that will put someone in the top 5%, but we’ve been told that 12,000 emails, 12,000 website views, 4 streaming movies and 5 hours of streaming music will start to put you close to that upper range of usage.
No. I'm not defending ATT and throttling. I'm just wondering who has the time to use that much data? I've never come close to 500MB a month.

That was exactly my thought when I read that. BTW, I'm also not thrilled that VZW wants FaceTime only for people on the new tiered plans. But I understand, this is the new America where the consumer pays more for less, while making less income.

I look forward to the day Sprint dies (and they will), so we have only two wireless providers.....and they'll repeatedly rape their customers just like in the old AT&T monopoly times (which I remember vividly). /sarcasm

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to SandShark5

Premium Member

to SandShark5
said by SandShark5:

quote:

Maybe their job requires them to be on the phone all the time?
Expand your moderator at work

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Gbcue

Premium Member

to Gbcue

Re: [iPhone] AT&T Will Start Throttling Heavy Use Unlimited Data

said by Gbcue:

said by SandShark5:

quote:

Maybe their job requires them to be on the phone all the time?

if its a job requirement, then they'd likely be using a company phone.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

if its a job requirement, then they'd likely be using a company phone.

So?

I'm responding to SandShark5 See Profile's statement that people that use so much data don't "have jobs". I have a job, yet my phone still sees lots of data usage.

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5

Premium Member

That's great that you have a job and you use lots of data. So what? Look, I really don't care who or who doesn't have a job, or who or who doesn't exceed the bandwidth limit. In case you didn't know, it was a hypothetical question, so I wasn't expecting a direct response since, as far as I know, there are no data to provide the answer.