Search similar:

uniqs

Quicksand10
@bell.ca

Quicksand10

Anon

[OC] Can anyone recommend settings?

Hey everyone,

I just upgraded my system from an AMD Athlon II X4 640 to an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T with a Thermaltake Frio CLP0564 cooler (with both fans).

Other System Specs:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 rev 2.0
Hard Drive: WD 2TB SATA 3.0 (6GBPS)
8GB Kingston DDR3 (2 DIMMs)
EVGA 8300GTS videocard
Mid-tower ATX case (Antec Sonata IV) with 1 120mm case fan and side vent

Currently (shortly after installation, CPU paste hasn't had time to spread evenly yet) temps are at 40C. Do I wait to break in the new processor or do I apply settings now? This is my first attempt at overclocking.

Doing a lot of number crunching at an office, this computer is ready for an overclocking treatment.

Can anyone suggest any settings I should put on the BIOS in this case, or do you need more information before suggesting?

Thanks a lot,

Quicksand10, beginner to overclocking

ocing engage
@optonline.net

ocing engage

Anon

If the pc is at an "office" doing "numbers" idk if I would OC it... you know one mistake is one mistake too many but if you wanta...

The paste is not gona drop like 5C if it does you did something wrong... the paste should be spread already, the only thing if it even has a cure time (most now do not) that will happen is it will fill in the very small imperfections in the surface of the IHS and HS... that aint gona get you the 5c mentioned before.

I would start to bump her up... watch your temps... if they really suck you may need to reseat the cooler (maybe you put too much paste or not enough you will know when you pull the cooler off) get a better cooler, lap something, got a fail chip.

Quicksand10
@videotron.ca

Quicksand10

Anon

OK thanks for the insight ocing engage,
I'll keep an eye out for the temperatures.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to ocing engage

Premium Member

to ocing engage
said by ocing engage :

If the pc is at an "office" doing "numbers" idk if I would OC it... you know one mistake is one mistake too many but if you wanta...

The paste is not gona drop like 5C if it does you did something wrong... the paste should be spread already, the only thing if it even has a cure time (most now do not) that will happen is it will fill in the very small imperfections in the surface of the IHS and HS... that aint gona get you the 5c mentioned before.

I would start to bump her up... watch your temps... if they really suck you may need to reseat the cooler (maybe you put too much paste or not enough you will know when you pull the cooler off) get a better cooler, lap something, got a fail chip.

"got a fail chip..."

How is a processor (chip) a fail if it meets spec? Once again, you use language befitting someone younger than you are. Don't be telling someone new to this that a chip is a failed chip if it won't overclock significantly.

To the OP:

Overclocking is not gaurenteed, nor is it recommended, by CPU manufacturers. Yes, in recent years they have started to release unlocked versions of their processors, but they aren't saying that they promise a 40% overclock along with that. Read your warranty and proceed with caution.

IMHO, a work system shouldn't be an overclocker's play toy.

Now, IF a processor is unstable at a very LOW overclock, such as at 5%, and is flaky at stock, and perhaps troublesome when warm, sure, that is "a fail" unit.

I suggest taking our anon poster with a grain of salt. He/she makes a lot of pronouncements and off the cuff remarks and has a somewhat youthful manner in his language, so I don't take him seriously all the time, but take her/him with a grain of French Cave Salt.
Expand your moderator at work

Parogadi
What? Stop Looking At Me Like That
Premium Member
join:2003-03-31
Racine, WI

Parogadi to Quicksand10

Premium Member

to Quicksand10

Re: [OC] Can anyone recommend settings?

Tap up your multiplier, thats the simplest way to do it as you then don't have to change any other settings.

Anything else falls under the same rules of tap it up by 5Mhz at a time till you hit a wall, then back it off by 2-3Mhz.

Don't bother with the ram speed, it's only relevant on the Fusion series chips as faster ram gives the integrated GPU a big boost.

HyperTransport is also to be avoided since changing it can in some instances cause some workloads to actually run slower as the system timing is weird.

Look ma! No cats!