Search similar:

uniqs
Dampier
Phillip M Dampier
join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

Dampier

Time Warner Cable Abandoning Analog - All Digital 5 Years

Time Warner Cable has announced it will cease analog cable television service within five years, as the cable company embarks on a wholesale transition to all-digital cable.

The announcement came from CEO Glenn Britt during this morning’s investor conference call, and represents a major transition for the cable operator and its customers.

“We always said we would supplement switched digital video with going all-digital,” Britt said. “Our plan is to migrate all systems to all-digital over the next five years.”

I posted more details and audio about some of the other changes coming to TWC over on Stop the Cap!

»stopthecap.com/2011/07/2 ··· systems/
»stopthecap.com/2011/07/2 ··· r-money/
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

YES! Finally!

It's about damn time!

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

rv65 to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier
Time Warner Cable made a said in a FCC filing that they supported the measure to allow for 1 way integrated security HD-DTA's.
rv65

rv65

Premium Member

Motorola did announce a HD-DTA with a RF remote.
45612019 (banned)
join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

45612019 (banned) to Dampier

to Dampier
Yeesh. 5 years?

That is way too long.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier
Way too long, Comcast did this two years ago and isn't subjecting anyone to the broken-bandaid of SDV.

But better late than never.

rv65
Premium Member
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

I guess TWC wants to wait and see. Comcast still has some analog only areas here and there, or low bandwidth digital areas. TWC could do it in less time, but they might also do it one system at a time. It takes a while to do this kind of migration. Everything has to be working 100 percent before it gets deployed.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Cabal

to Cabal
I find it interesting that there are less complaints in motorola headend areas with SDV than those with CISCO headends and Cisco SDV servers.
motorola870

motorola870 to rv65

to rv65
said by rv65:

I guess TWC wants to wait and see. Comcast still has some analog only areas here and there, or low bandwidth digital areas. TWC could do it in less time, but they might also do it one system at a time. It takes a while to do this kind of migration. Everything has to be working 100 percent before it gets deployed.

more than likely Augusta Maine is a test area to see what needs to be done nationwide.
Phroz
join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME

Phroz

Huh, that's a first. We're always last for these things. Interesting... and I'm surprised they're starting in a Motorola area.

rv65
Premium Member
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

The first DTA's were for Motorola headends. Cisco later made their own DTA, but Moto was the first to make this happen. Now we have uDTA's which can work with both Motorola and Cisco.
rv65

rv65 to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier
Motorola and Evolution have HD-uDTA's, which are DTA's with an HDMI out. It does support HD, but not composite video. It also has an RF remote, though I'm not sure if it supports IR. RF might be bad, but someone could use an IR/RF converter or something like that. HD-DTA's are in TWC's future, but we shall see.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Dampier

MVM

to Dampier
Some other Comcast systems are going all digital also. Northern NJ will loose limited basic by August 30th. IE) NO analog channels, except for maybe a barker or solid color screen on the amplifier AGC channel (Usually channel 61 or 70).

I have Service Electric Cablevision, a very tiny operator in PA. They axed most of their analog too. The only analog left is 2-28 and channel 70 is a grey screen used for amplifier automatic gain control, and channel 135 is a duplicate of channel 2 (bulletin board) used for 860MHz amplifier balancing.

Surprised TWC, a big name in cable didn't give analog the axe yet. Maybe it's all those CISCO systems they have out there and the lack of compatible DTA's.

SDV is a great idea, but the added complexity causes issues. It's about time that TA firmware update is circulating that supports more than 2 tuners per tuning adapter for Tivos.
deannnnn
join:2011-07-12
Fort Lauderdale, FL

deannnnn to Dampier

to Dampier
Comcast here in South Florida went digital a few years ago. It's been great. I'm surprised TWC hasn't done it yet.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier
I agree with the other people in this thread. About damn time for this to happen.

What's wrong with SDV?
45612019 (banned)
New York, NY

45612019 (banned)

"Channel is not available"

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Never had that issue at all.

ChillyCat6
join:2004-09-07
Chesterland, OH

ChillyCat6 to trparky

to trparky
said by trparky:

What's wrong with SDV?

Never really thought about it..... but is/was a good question.

BUT.....Exactly what is/was wrong with it ?

I don't have a clue as to what I dislike[d] about it.
45612019 (banned)
New York, NY

45612019 (banned) to trparky

to trparky
Either you don't watch a lot of TV or you're lucky.

It's a famous Time Warner problem related to their SDV system.

»www.google.com/search?q= ··· vailable

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by 45612019:

Amazingly, Comcast and FIOS have the same "channel not available" messages and they don't have SDV:

"Channel not available" is usually a signal issue, not particularly a SDV specific issue.

ChillyCat6
join:2004-09-07
Chesterland, OH

ChillyCat6 to 45612019

to 45612019
said by 45612019:

Nope , don't watch allot TV but it's always on. Can honestly say
I haven't seen the no channel thing, so I guess I got lucky.
ChillyCat6

ChillyCat6 to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

Amazingly, Comcast and FIOS have the same "channel not available" messages and they don't have SDV

Now, that I can address personally. I have Comcast in my home in
Florida [4 1/2 months a year] and I can attest to the fact that error
indeed pops up. And I wasn't aware we had or didn't have switched
AZinOH
join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH

AZinOH to Dampier

to Dampier
So I take this to mean that when digital-only is implemented, I'll need a DTA for each of my TVs unless I decide to purchase digital channels and get a STB for each (highly unlikely). It will be interesting to find out how much that will cost.
prestonrich
join:2011-09-10
Oakland, ME

1 edit

prestonrich to Dampier

to Dampier
Im in Oakland, ME (Augusta, ME market) and just got the letter of going all digital, and Have to have the box by October 19th.

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· oDigital

EDIT: The price: there free for now until January of 2014 after which they will be 99ยข per month.
Zen6
join:2011-06-04
Saratoga Springs, NY

Zen6 to AZinOH

to AZinOH
I have 2 non digital tv's that will need a box. I think TW is waiting till many of the non digital tv's break so they dont have to provide a zillion boxes.

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

slyphoxj to Dampier

to Dampier
What I find interesting here in the Cleveland, OH area is that Time Warner still hasn't yet transitioned their basic cable channels to digital (clear QAM) but still has enough bandwidth to provide a decent number of HD channels with their digital basic service *and* DOCSIS 3.0.

WOW!, on the other hand, transitioned all but 20 of their basic cable channels below 100 to clear QAM a few months back (there were going to do encrypted QAM, but later changed their mind). WOW still hasn't yet officially rolled out any DOCSIS 3.0 speed tiers to compete with the 30/5(?) and 50 megabit (I forget the upstream speed) offerings that TW rolled out here a few months ago.

Maybe WOW has less bandwidth to work with than TW?
prestonrich
join:2011-09-10
Oakland, ME

prestonrich to Zen6

to Zen6
said by Zen6:

I have 2 non digital tv's that will need a box. I think TW is waiting till many of the non digital tv's break so they dont have to provide a zillion boxes.

According to them it doesnt mater if its a digital tv or analog, you will still need a box from them, all it says that digital tv will be able to recieve local broadcasts, which im assuming would be the clearQAM channels.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"According to them it doesnt mater if its a digital tv or analog, you will still need a box from them, all it says that digital tv will be able to recieve local broadcasts, which im assuming would be the clearQAM channels."

Agreed

Hob

Crapigator
@rr.com

Crapigator to prestonrich

Anon

to prestonrich
Yes, that's probably;y true. They should just put everything ATSC so people with digital sets can just plug and play as they always have. It's going to suck to have to have another piece of equipment attached to extra outlets with another remote.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to 45612019

Premium Member

to 45612019
said by 45612019:

"Channel is not available"

Never had that before. I have 3 dvrs of which at least one is on 16 hours a day and can say we've never seen that before.