how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

andrewlt

@pacbell.net

[Speed Problem] Slow speeds between around 6pm to 11pm

Click for full size
I'm having huge issues with my connection lately. My speed goes down around 6pm all the way to 11pm, especially on weeknights. It's very noticeable since I'm usually gaming, streaming videos or using VOIP programs during this time. I get a lot of lag and some disconnections.

I've had 3 separate technicians come in and they said the line is good. I've had the router I'm connecting to changed twice already. The last change (on Tuesday the 26th) made the problem much worse.

I did the wireshark thing and this is the picture I get. The following below is my connection details. I have a 3 Mbps connection. I've been running speedtests tonight and getting around 2.1-2.3 using www.att.com/speedtest but only getting between 0.3-0.9 using www.speedtest.net.

DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate: 3008 kbps
Upstream Rate: 512 kbps
Channel: Interleaved
Current Noise Margin: 15.0 dB (Downstream) 21.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 53.2 dB (Downstream) 31.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 17.7 dBm (Downstream) 11.9 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0x0F} Vendor: {ALCB} Specific: {0x00}
PVC Info: 0/35

andrewlktan

join:2011-07-29
Monterey Park, CA

Sorry, the above is me. I logged out for some reason, didn't realize it and ended up posting anonymously.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to andrewlt

Install Wireshark, or some other packet sniffer, and check this out:

»SBC DSL FAQ »How to measure throughput speeds on individual packets?

If your scattergram matches the third graphic, you are likely on an "exhausted" router. Only AT&T can fix that; and only if they have a router in your POP center which is not as congested. A post to AT&T Direct with your graph, and a request to change your aggregation router, if possible, should get the ball rolling.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

andrewlktan

Monterey Park, CA

Click for full size
I ran the capture on that first picture around 9:30 pm. Seems inconclusive. This is one I ran at around 11:00 pm.

ananon

@sbcglobal.net

same thing happened to me since 2 days ago. i'm in san jose.

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
reply to andrewlt

Andrew, that second graph shows the characteristic slowdown pattern of a congested gateway router or the pipes afterwards.

Post a Trouble thread in AT&T Direct: »AT&T Direct and explain your problem. The techs there can get your circuit switched to a less congested gateway IF one is available at your POP.

Good Luck. I hope there is an uncongested opening available for you.
--
TCE Weather

ac74ecu

join:2011-07-19
Forest City, NC

I am basically having this same problem except mine will drop to 0.0 Mb/s for 6-8 seconds at a time and cause things to disconnect. I posted in the at&t southeast forum but the issue is very similar. »[Speed Problem] "Intermittent surf" issues

Were you able to resolve the problem? Should I go ahead and post in the Direct forums or wait a few more days to see if it can be solved in the public forums?
Thanks,
AC

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
Reno, NV

Your Wireshark graph certainly does look like those from congested routers (gateways) in the SBC region (actually yours looks worse than most in some ways). However, congested routers have never been known to cause disconnects, only throughput slowdowns, and sometimes very, very slow speeds.

I can't say for certain that the network set up (redbacks or BRAS) in the former Bellsouth region mirrors that of the SBC areas and that a "congested-looking" graph in the Bellsouth region actually is indicative of a gateway problem as it is in SBC areas.

IF you are on a congested router like those the SBC customers have experienced, there is no solution available for it in the public fora. The only thing we recommend in the public fora is to post in Direct in order to be switched to another, less congested router if one is available.
--
TCE Weather

ac74ecu

join:2011-07-19
Forest City, NC

Thank you for the quick reply! I went ahead and posted the problem in the Direct forums in hopes of getting this resolved as quick as possible as it's already been a month with no gaming and no phone (VOIP)!

I guess that these are technically not disconnects as lights stay green on the modem. It just causes things that I'm doing to lose connection to the server as there is no throughput for 6-8 seconds.

Examples 1: Playing an online game, when the throughput stops the game cannot connect to the game server and causes connection interrupted messages that kick me out of the game.

Example 2: I have a micro cell connected to my network. I can talk on my phone until throughput stops, but when it does my phone loses the network and the call drops.

Example 3: Watching a video from youtube, hulu, netflix, etc... throughput drops to zero and the video has to buffer causing it to pause for 6-8 seconds.

My speeds are especially bad weeknights and now that you mention disconnects, it seems that drops to 0.0 Mb/s happen more often when lots of data is being transferred or maybe I just don't notice it on less bandwidth demanding applications. Even when not at 0.0 the speeds are under a Mb/s more than they are at 2.5 or above.

Thanks again for the response. I'm so glad I found this forum because of all the great people who contribute here!

andrewlktan

Monterey Park, CA

I think I got transferred to a less congested router since speedtest is now routinely giving me around 2.5 Mbps. However, it looks like I'm now having sync issues. My experience is the same with online games, streaming videos and VOIP being the biggest problems. It would just freeze for 1-3 seconds pretty often and sometimes it would cause me to disconnect from the game/Mumble/etc.

My attenuation is 50+ and I'm wondering if dropping down a speed tier back to 1.5 would actually make it more stable. They can't seem to find what's wrong and I basically can't play any online games or watch any streaming movies while it's like this.

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
Reno, NV
reply to andrewlt

Slower sync speeds would definitely increase stability by increasing SN margin.

Have ever you tried a different modem on your line? If you can, borrow a non-2Wire modem and test for sync stability.
--
TCE Weather