MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan

MVM

ECN

I noticed that ECN is disabled by default in WIN7. I checked to see that my router is ECN capable using this tool from Microsoft and then enabled it via

netsh interface tcp set global ecncapability=enabled

Is there any downside to enabling ECN?

Thanks.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

Irish Shark

MVM

Read this and see if it helps. I do not have ECN enabled and I am not experiencing any issues. It is up to you how you want to configure your box.

http://technicallyeasy.net/2010/02/internet-connection-slow-in-windows-7/

This is what I have set for WIN7

Microsoft Windows Version 6.1.7601 Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>netsh int tcp show global Querying active state... TCP Global Parameters ---------------------------------------------- Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled Chimney Offload State : automatic NetDMA State : enabled Direct Cache Acess (DCA) : disabled Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : normal Add-On Congestion Control Provider : none ECN Capability : disabled RFC 1323 Timestamps : disabled ** The above autotuninglevel setting is the result of Windows Scaling heuristics overriding any local/policy configuration on at least one profile.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to jmorlan

Premium Member

to jmorlan
said by jmorlan:

I noticed that ECN is disabled by default in WIN7. I checked to see that my router is ECN capable using this tool from Microsoft and then enabled it via

Thanks.

That tool says it's for Windows XP and Windows Vista.
No mention of Windows 7?

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan

MVM

said by Dustyn:

said by jmorlan:

Thanks.

That tool says it's for Windows XP and Windows Vista.
No mention of Windows 7?

You are correct. However I think it works on Win7. In any event it correctly identified ENC capability on my router. And it turns out there is a downside. Some web-sites don't work with it. I just spent all day troubleshooting a particular site that opened for one machine on my network but not another. Turns out enabling ENC on that machine caused the site to fail.

Thanks for reminding me that I had tweaked this setting. It solved a nagging problem.

See:

»RESOLVED Same site. One computer can connect, the other ....

Thank you again.