share rss forum feed

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4

ECN

I noticed that ECN is disabled by default in WIN7. I checked to see that my router is ECN capable using this tool from Microsoft and then enabled it via

Is there any downside to enabling ECN?

Thanks.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

1 edit
Read this and see if it helps. I do not have ECN enabled and I am not experiencing any issues. It is up to you how you want to configure your box.

http://technicallyeasy.net/2010/02/internet-connection-slow-in-windows-7/

This is what I have set for WIN7

Microsoft Windows Version 6.1.7601 Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>netsh int tcp show global Querying active state... TCP Global Parameters ---------------------------------------------- Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled Chimney Offload State : automatic NetDMA State : enabled Direct Cache Acess (DCA) : disabled Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : normal Add-On Congestion Control Provider : none ECN Capability : disabled RFC 1323 Timestamps : disabled ** The above autotuninglevel setting is the result of Windows Scaling heuristics overriding any local/policy configuration on at least one profile.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to jmorlan
said by jmorlan:

I noticed that ECN is disabled by default in WIN7. I checked to see that my router is ECN capable using this tool from Microsoft and then enabled it via

Thanks.

That tool says it's for Windows XP and Windows Vista.
No mention of Windows 7?

--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,19180829

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4
said by Dustyn:

said by jmorlan:

Thanks.

That tool says it's for Windows XP and Windows Vista.
No mention of Windows 7?

You are correct. However I think it works on Win7. In any event it correctly identified ENC capability on my router. And it turns out there is a downside. Some web-sites don't work with it. I just spent all day troubleshooting a particular site that opened for one machine on my network but not another. Turns out enabling ENC on that machine caused the site to fail.

Thanks for reminding me that I had tweaked this setting. It solved a nagging problem.

See:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26158421-RESOLVED-Same-site.-One-computer-can-connect-the-other-.

Thank you again.