uniqs

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone

Re: So Cogeco is screwing us - More Price Increases!!!

said by Gone:

Shaw Direct, as in satellite. They have $99 HD receivers now, and the Ontario Value Plan is still available (it used to be $39, don't know if it is still that cheap) albeit you need to get in touch with a Shaw sales rep and can't order it through the phone. I'm working on that right now.

Ontario Value Plan is still there, I think its $42.76 now that number jumps out at me but don't quote me directly on that...I didn't need to get in touch with a sales rep, for some odd reason even though my parents subscribe to the service and were at the same address, they thought it nice enough to send me a flyer in the mail to inform me of this...+ you can get their HD for $11.15/month combined their HD Plus and HD Sports...which isn't too too bad I guess.

I'm at work right now but I'll look for the flyer when I get home and PM you the details if you want Gone and a phone number to call...it didn't look like a sales rep flyer though..looked like it came directly from them?

Bummer that Cogeco has gone this way...they used to be super awesome and at the forefront of technology (First to DOCSIS 1.0 back in 1997/8 in the world...that's right, they used to be innovative), now they're just a company that doesn't innovate and just does the bare minimum to get by....very sad.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.
join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC

Farchord to nitzguy

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Meaning they speak Quebec French because they're in Trois-Rivieres . Quebec has always been a different animal compared to Ontario, we hear good and bad vs. how things are there vs. how they are here, but because Quebec's footprint is so much smaller, we usually don't hear a lot, but asawulf usually says good things since he's based out of there and has been for quite some time now I believe...

Yeah I knew their main place is in trois-rivières, it's about 30mins in a car from here

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to A Lurker

Premium Member

to A Lurker
said by A Lurker:

They're not doing it yet, but they'll likely do it for business packages as well.

I'm on business, happy with it, my rates are the normal high $100 rates I've been paying for a while now; but if they did the same for business, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat (which really means I'll seriously evaluate competitors). So far they're maintaining my customer loyalty.

AMailer, you suggested it looks like they're going to be ending business no-overages soon as well. What makes you say that?
sickens
join:2009-01-26
Peterborough, ON

sickens to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

I don't know about you but I can get ADSL2+ up to 20/1 with no caps or throttle for less than $40.00 a month from Nexicom in Peterborough.

Don't remind me. I miss it! I used to have that when I lived downtown and was served off their main DSLAM. When I bought a house in the west end, I'm served off their remotes via Bell and am subject to all the awesomeness Bell is (~5 service, throttled, you know...)

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

I'm on business, happy with it, my rates are the normal high $100 rates I've been paying for a while now; but if they did the same for business, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat (which really means I'll seriously evaluate competitors). So far they're maintaining my customer loyalty.

Ditto, for the time being anyway. I'm happy with the service, not very happy with the price I'm paying. $160/MO for 30/2 and a 300G cap (enforced or not) is quite ridiculous. It is however the least ridiculous option for me at the moment, considering my political jones.

With matching speeds hitting the DSL markets, if I see one plug nickel being asked or charged for usage on my business account I'll go back to MLPPP with TSI in a heartbeat, save a couple bucks a month, and double my current cap. TV would be cancelled on principle alone.

At the same time, I'm considering removing the TV service anyway. It's gotten just a little too pricey for me.

That all said, if you mess with 1000 consumers, 1 stands up and speaks out.

You mess with 1000 businesses, 10,000 stand up and yell.

I dont think they'll mess with the business side, other than maybe tightening up the rules to stop en mass migration to business accounts.

Mike

AMailer
join:2004-04-03

1 edit

AMailer to urbanriot

to urbanriot
I based my reply on "ancodia's" response. However, generally when there is a shift in price/caps/speeds for Residential users, Business users also get a change.

For those of you who are on business plans, are you paying the new prices for a 1 year contract or have you guys been switched over to 3 year contracts to retain your old prices? Any idea if we will be forced to renew the contracts for 3 years to retain these prices once our current contracts are up?

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by AMailer:

For those of you who are on business plans, are you paying the new prices for a 1 year contract or have you guys been switched over to 3 year contracts to retain your old prices? Any idea if we will be forced to renew the contracts for 3 years to retain these prices once our current contracts are up?

I have no idea. All I can tell you is that I'm on "Standard Package 1 yr - Business Internet" for $89.95 + tax = $101.64. There's no indication on my bill when that will end and I see no indication on the mycogeco site either.

I'd almost written that my rates were raised a year or so ago... but then I realized that was the HST increase and my rates have probably remained the same for a few years now.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to AMailer

Premium Member

to AMailer
said by AMailer:

Any idea if we will be forced to renew the contracts for 3 years to retain these prices once our current contracts are up?

Currently, I am being forced to die, and pay taxes.

Everything else is, at my sole discretion, optional.

FWIW, I will never agree to a 3 year contract with any telecom. Ever.

Mike

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

I dont think they'll mess with the business side, other than maybe tightening up the rules to stop en mass migration to business accounts.

I don't think they'll care too too much, since the business accounts carry the same price difference that the service with maximum overages cost before. And has been said earlier, Bell doesn't charge overages on business accounts and has made it sort of their "policy" during CRTC hearings to not implement them, so Cogeco is between a rock and a hard place doing the same. If they ever did, like you said, 10,000 would get up and yell.

I considered switching to a business account over this, but I won't. These changes don't come into effect by October, and by then we should have TPIA options available across most of Cogeco territory. With the way things have been moving through the CRTC right now, Cogeco may also find themselves in an extremely difficult position to enforce any sort of subscriber-level usage limits onto TPIA customers.

One thing is for certain - I will have cancelled TV service by the end of August.
Expand your moderator at work

Niagara
@cgocable.net

Niagara to Gone

Anon

to Gone

The $2 increase is just plain insulting and I have dropped the TMN package as my own personal protest. I'm also in a sweet spot for OTA, so it's likely I'll drop HD in the near future and keep just those channels/options that are of interest (i.e. Food Network, Discovery, etc.)

Farchord
Lost somewhere.
join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC

Farchord

said by Niagara :

The $2 increase is just plain insulting and I have dropped the TMN package as my own personal protest. I'm also in a sweet spot for OTA, so it's likely I'll drop HD in the near future and keep just those channels/options that are of interest (i.e. Food Network, Discovery, etc.)

Yeah! That'll teach em! XD

tatty
join:2002-02-23
North York, ON

tatty to Niagara

to Niagara
said by Niagara :

»watch.discoverychannel.ca/

Might as well go OTA + use the free streaming from CTV (discovery/comedy/etc)/CBC/CityTV/Global + Netflix in order to get almost all of the same content.
metrotitan
join:2008-11-21

metrotitan to Gone

to Gone
I only came here to say lol.
Expand your moderator at work
vuarra
join:2005-10-11
Hamilton, ON

vuarra

Sorry, Cogeco_Matt, but I left a year ago. I put an antenna on the roof and cancelled all of my Cogeco services.

You may look at all of this as drama, Matt, but this is a forum discussing Cogeco, and if we don't like something, we are not going to sit by and let them give it to us up the.... This is not a "Cogeco Good" forum, this is a Cogeco forum. Don't try the censorship stuff with us.

Cogeco_Matt
@cgocable.net

Cogeco_Matt

Anon

Yes Vuarra nobody is asking for censorship, but it works both ways right?

As I said before I have the 50Mbit service, I pay more for this service because it's faster,reliable and unlimited, like a Porsche. I have the money and spend it how I like.

Gone is asking to have Porsche type services but wants to pay for a Hyundai. The world doesn't work like that, you want better quality and speed, you have to pay for it. Simple.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by Cogeco_Matt :

Gone is asking to have Porsche type services but wants to pay for a Hyundai.

How ironic he actually drives a Hyundai.
ancodia
join:2006-07-10
canada

4 edits

ancodia to Cogeco_Matt

to Cogeco_Matt
said by Cogeco_Matt :

Gone is asking to have Porsche type services but wants to pay for a Hyundai. The world doesn't work like that, you want better quality and speed, you have to pay for it. Simple.

Oh come on. We're talking about bandwidth here. The point of all this is that as the "product" gets cheaper for Cogeco to buy, Cogeco keeps increases the price of the "product" for the end user. In a nutshell, Cogeco is nothing more than a bunch of over-glorified technicians plugging in equipment that other companies make. The entire company can be run with people with double-digit IQs. They really add no value to the "product". But thanks to a government created market monopoly or oligopoly then can get away with over-charging the end user, because, where else is the customer going to go?

What you need to realize is you are paying Porsche prices for a Civic, and that Porsche keeps increasing in price every quarter, and the Civic costs Cogeco less to buy every quarter. At what point would you say enough is enough and demand you get fair value? Since when does having money equal being a sucker? From my experience, people who have 6 or 7 figure salaries are some of the cheapest people I've ever met! (well, when they are spending their own money they are)

And what makes this ever more unpalatable is that all these increases aren't even for improvements in the Canadian market, they are to cover losses from a bad investment in another country!

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Cogeco_Matt

Premium Member

to Cogeco_Matt
said by Cogeco_Matt :

No. What Cogeco is doing is selling a 1988 Chevette for Porche prices.

My Hyundai is a far better product and offers far better value than anything Cogeco has sold in the last three years.
vuarra
join:2005-10-11
Hamilton, ON

vuarra to Cogeco_Matt

to Cogeco_Matt
said by Cogeco_Matt :

As I said before I have the 50Mbit service, I pay more for this service because it's faster,reliable and unlimited, like a Porsche. I have the money and spend it how I like.

1) under the new plan, the 50 Mbit service will no longer be unlimited (there is a link above that shows it).
2) Cogeco does not have a plan that I like. I will live with a much slower speed, but I want more information over the lines. There is no plan from Cogeco that I can get what I want. Therefore, I left. I am glad you like Cogeco, but the point I am trying to get across is that it is not for everyone, and not many people like the new plans.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by vuarra:

1) under the new plan, the 50 Mbit service will no longer be unlimited (there is a link above that shows it).

He may be talking about the business 50Mbit plan. It was (and still is) the only unlimited plan that they offer. The residential one was never unlimited. The difference is the max overage charge will no longer be capped at $50.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

No. What Cogeco is doing is selling a 1988 Chevette for Porche prices.

What Cogeco isn't selling, is a package that would appeal to the people complaining here. There average person who doesn't come to this forum isn't aware of the grey area with the business package nor do people typically consider they can obtain business services as a home user, so what do they do? They probably switch to another provider...

... or maybe Cogeco is getting rich with these overage fees, which is why they're not offering a proper package for downloaders? It seems odd that the solution for savvy customers is a grey area solution.
MrPink
join:2003-08-15
Peterborough, ON

MrPink to Cogeco_Matt

to Cogeco_Matt
i normally don't comment on this type of thing, but....

the services cogeco is providing is disproportional to the fees they are charging. it's turned into an all out money grab, any argument to the contrary is bullshit. u know it, i know it...they know it.
u have the coin to pay for top tier services? great, glad to hear. I'm sure the owners of cogeco appreciate that while they're toolin down the road in their new porsche.
more power to ya buddy (but u've got more money than brains)

for the rest of us it's all becoming a bit much.
-excessively high internet fees
-disappointing TV service (audio drops & pixelation)
-constant fee increases

and so
@videotron.ca

and so

Anon

said by MrPink:

i normally don't comment on this type of thing, but....

the services cogeco is providing is disproportional to the fees they are charging. it's turned into an all out money grab, any argument to the contrary is bullshit. u know it, i know it...they know it.

So what are you going to do about it? Lip-Flap in a forum then pay?

People should have ran when Cogeco went to the press and called their beloved customers thieves who need to pay more as they initially increased rates and throttle 24/7 and are worse than Bell.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to Gone

to Gone
Damn, for $50 a month they have no excuse but to give you unlimited at 14mbps.
Phorkster
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

Phorkster to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
I got no choice where I live. TS is not in the cable game as of yet and DSL around here just plain sucks. Ult 30 with 175GB usage, 30/2 speed and $1 overages is fine with me.
MrPink
join:2003-08-15
Peterborough, ON

MrPink to and so

to and so
well, that's exactly what i'm doing about it (that's the problem...)

what do u suggest? pitch forks and torches in the main square?

(lip flap, lol)