Search similar:

uniqs

jeisenberg
New Year's Eve
join:2001-07-06
Windsor, ON

jeisenberg to MrPink

to MrPink

Re: So Cogeco is screwing us - More Price Increases!!!

I'm on the phone as we speak, finding out what Teksavvy can do ... they just came back on the line ... the CSR says Teksavvy does offer cable in some parts of Windsor, just not my area yet.

I'll keep checking, as this is probably the final straw that will drive me away.

I pay too much for internet already - usually stay at 50% of my caps, but don't want to downgrade service because I like the speed and number of email accounts offered on the High Speed Standard plan.

But, paying yet another $2.00 for only 40GB / month (actual usage) is definitely not going to fly for me.
got_milk2
join:2007-08-22
Georgetown, ON

got_milk2 to Cogeco_Matt

to Cogeco_Matt
said by Cogeco_Matt :

Yes Vuarra nobody is asking for censorship, but it works both ways right?

As I said before I have the 50Mbit service, I pay more for this service because it's faster,reliable and unlimited, like a Porsche. I have the money and spend it how I like.

Gone is asking to have Porsche type services but wants to pay for a Hyundai. The world doesn't work like that, you want better quality and speed, you have to pay for it. Simple.

You do realize that a lot of us here pay monthly for a Porsche and get a Hyundai?

Funny how the argument changes...first the practices are in place as a deterrent to users who consume more bandwidth, and when that argument starts showing cracks, now it's "if you want it, you have to pay for it".

Kudos to you however for defending the blatant cash grab that Cogeco once again will be getting away with. Tell me, how much does it cost to transfer 1GB of data from a backbone provider again? (And I wouldn't say much about infrastructure, for a company who pushes record profits year after year they sure have a hard time keeping up with demand).

Here's some excellent reading for everyone to enjoy:

»www.michaelgeist.ca/cont ··· 923/125/
»www.michaelgeist.ca/cont ··· 925/125/
»www.michaelgeist.ca/cont ··· ew/5927/
»www.michaelgeist.ca/cont ··· 939/135/
»www.michaelgeist.ca/cont ··· 952/125/

HamtonCogeco
@cgocable.net

HamtonCogeco to Gone

Anon

to Gone
Why does everyone use Teksavvy as the run away alternative to Cogeco? I did take a look at their offerings, but I am not itching to go that direction just to get "unlimited" bandwidth. Why? Lets see...

Activation fee and having to buy or own a modem for starts. How about some "free" luxuries we get at Cogeco that no one seems to appreciate, like their $65 "move fee". Last time I checked, moving to a new address doesn't cost anything for us. $99 if I need a technician to come to my home for support? What "account changes" cost $5 as well? It seems like they nickel and dime just as well as anyone else. We may not have the bandwidth some of us seem to depend on, but I consider the support benefits to be ideal enough to keep me as a customer. I have needed Cogeco to come out to my home before, I have needed a modem replacement atleast once... neither cost me anything.

If the reason people are rallying to leave Cogeco is simply because they can no longer get unlimited bandwidth for a set fee, then maybe those are the heavy users Cogeco can afford to lose. Are you just quitting to make a point? I hate to say it, but Cogeco is not going to bend over if a small portion of their userbase decides to jump ship, especially if some of those users return later when the alternatives prove not to be up to par.

The service may not be perfect, but some people seem to ignore the good sides to the offerings. Services got improved, and nobody can see that as a good thing... ?
Expand your moderator at work

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to Cogeco_Matt

Premium Member

to Cogeco_Matt

said by Cogeco_Matt :

Gone is asking to have Porsche type services but wants to pay for a Hyundai. The world doesn't work like that, you want better quality and speed, you have to pay for it. Simple.

Despite my opinion that UBB is quasi-criminal in general, I've always subscribed to the notion that if I use more, I pay more. I have no problem with this.

But what Cogeco does - using your analogy - is make cardboard tricycles, one brand, one size fits all, and labels some of them Porsche and some of them Hyundai. Regardless of the name plate on these "vehicles", they all pretty much cost the same to make. Pennies.

The entire telecom sector has become a giant cartel thanks to a gutless series of governments and a completely corrupted group of regulators.

Again, if I use more, I pay more - I have no problem with that. Until the cartel colludes to keep prices artificially high, uses lies and deceipt to rationalize their greed, and takes advantage of a system that was devised on the proposition that the participants, at the very least, are honest.

What's going on here is not honest.

For the record, the notice that Cogeco distributed to outline this latest cash grab was more than disengenuous. It reads like it was written by a fraud artist selling swamp land in Florida. It's pure used-car-salesman tripe.

I'm willing to pay more. I'm just not willing to pay absolutely ridiculous prices arrived at through collusion and greed, while at the same time not having any real choices to show my disgust. The world doesn't work like that either. Only In Canada eh? Pity.

That in itself, and what's going on with the telecom sector in Canada, is just plain criminal.

You can't tell me that the "Hyundai" you sold me is a "Porsche", when I can plainly see it's a fscking cardboard tricycle. I'm an opinionated tinfoil-wearin' boor. Not a stupid sheep.

Mike

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by dillyhammer:

Despite my opinion that UBB is quasi-criminal in general, I've always subscribed to the notion that if I use more, I pay more. I have no problem with this.

I'm the same, but don't think the limits and overage charges are realistic. I'd like to see something that covers the cost (with a profit) of an account, then a modest bandwith charge. They could raise that initial fee based on what speed you want. They'll never do it as months people do less they would pay less - and no company is likely to do that.
diskdocx
join:2005-09-26
Burlington, ON

diskdocx to HamtonCogeco

to HamtonCogeco
said by HamtonCogeco :

Why does everyone use Teksavvy as the run away alternative to Cogeco? I did take a look at their offerings, but I am not itching to go that direction just to get "unlimited" bandwidth. Why? Lets see...

Activation fee and having to buy or own a modem for starts. How about some "free" luxuries we get at Cogeco that no one seems to appreciate, like their $65 "move fee". Last time I checked, moving to a new address doesn't cost anything for us. $99 if I need a technician to come to my home for support? What "account changes" cost $5 as well? It seems like they nickel and dime just as well as anyone else. We may not have the bandwidth some of us seem to depend on, but I consider the support benefits to be ideal enough to keep me as a customer. I have needed Cogeco to come out to my home before, I have needed a modem replacement atleast once... neither cost me anything.

If the reason people are rallying to leave Cogeco is simply because they can no longer get unlimited bandwidth for a set fee, then maybe those are the heavy users Cogeco can afford to lose. Are you just quitting to make a point? I hate to say it, but Cogeco is not going to bend over if a small portion of their userbase decides to jump ship, especially if some of those users return later when the alternatives prove not to be up to par.

The service may not be perfect, but some people seem to ignore the good sides to the offerings. Services got improved, and nobody can see that as a good thing... ?

First off, services didn't get improved. Miniscule speed jumps, modest cap increases to keep in line with the 'competition', and reduction in per gig overage charges that were extremely bloated to begin with.

Traded against those were a small price increase, and removal of overage limits.

To me, this is a lateral move at best, and does nothing to improve the service.

As for Teksavvy, I long ago added a Tek DSL account. It isn't perfect, but for low priority data transfer it is far cheaper than anything Cogeco offers. I still have a Standard Cogeco account (I guess this will now be the Turbo 14), and have never exceeded my cap.

The Cogeco internet line is solid, fast and reliable. The service is fine. It also costs more than the unlimited Tek account, which while slower has been equally unreliable.

In fact, with the exception of the horrible compressed/pixelated TV service, I have no complaints about the services supplied by Cogeco - TV, Internet and Phone - for which we pay about $200 per month. The value for those services I do have increasing issues with.

As for the 'nickel and diming' by Tek, those are mostly Bell charges. I don't excuse Tek from those, but we were on Bell before moving, and I cancelled all services with Bell due to the moving fees. You are absolutely correct that Cogeco does not charge those, and that is great.

As for buying a modem, a one time $50 charge is insignificant compared to saving $20 a month. Same for $5 account changes.

As for the service calls, again I understand that goes directly to Bell. Same if you are their customer, and only if the problem is not with their line but ends up being an internal issue with your house.

I'm not sure if any of these fees apply if you are on their Rogers cable resold account.

If I could get a resold Rogers plan here through TekSavvy, I would in a heartbeat. I will definitely be first in line if Cogeco ever starts to 'play ball' with the resellers.

I will be leaving solely for cost savings, and I suspect I won't be alone.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.
join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC

Farchord

said by diskdocx:

said by HamtonCogeco :

First off, services didn't get improved. Miniscule speed jumps, modest cap increases to keep in line with the 'competition', and reduction in per gig overage charges that were extremely bloated to begin with.

Traded against those were a small price increase, and removal of overage limits.

As for Teksavvy, I long ago added a Tek DSL account. It isn't perfect, but for low priority data transfer it is far cheaper than anything Cogeco offers. I still have a Standard Cogeco account (I guess this will now be the Turbo 14), and have never exceeded my cap.

The Cogeco internet line is solid, fast and reliable. The service is fine. It also costs more than the unlimited Tek account, which while slower has been equally unreliable.

In fact, with the exception of the horrible compressed/pixelated TV service, I have no complaints about the services supplied by Cogeco - TV, Internet and Phone - for which we pay about $200 per month. The value for those services I do have increasing issues with.

As for the 'nickel and diming' by Tek, those are mostly Bell charges. I don't excuse Tek from those, but we were on Bell before moving, and I cancelled all services with Bell due to the moving fees. You are absolutely correct that Cogeco does not charge those, and that is great.

As for buying a modem, a one time $50 charge is insignificant compared to saving $20 a month. Same for $5 account changes.

As for the service calls, again I understand that goes directly to Bell. Same if you are their customer, and only if the problem is not with their line but ends up being an internal issue with your house.

I'm not sure if any of these fees apply if you are on their Rogers cable resold account.

If I could get a resold Rogers plan here through TekSavvy, I would in a heartbeat. I will definitely be first in line if Cogeco ever starts to 'play ball' with the resellers.

You guys..... really fail to see the big picture. This is gonna be my last post here, as there's so much bitchin', that this place is becomin' a kennel.

Okay, imagine a small region of Canada, let's say in ontario. Like most places in canada, you are in a duopoly situation: Bell Vs Cogeco.

Let's say Bell has 5000 heavy users, because they have a 150gig bitcap. Cogeco has 150gig too. Bell drops to 100 gig. What will alot of those 5000 heavy users do? Jump ship to Cogeco, which because it's an influx of heavy customers, it will cause congestion issues at the end user nodes.

Until all major ISPs are forced by a 'higher power' (CRTC, Government, ...) to drop the BS, none of them can. Well, technically, if Bell would get that stick out of their ass and remove the bitcap, Cable companies would have to do the same....

It goes both ways.... That's what we call market forces... Canada's in a virtual hole atm, and I mean freakin' deep hole. And Cogeco's the smallest of the cable ISPs.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to diskdocx

Premium Member

to diskdocx
said by diskdocx:

That's what I find truly remarkable about this latest move. I would think Cogeco would be trying averything and anything to ingratiate themselves with customers, but instead they alientate themselves even more.

What arrogance. Or is that ignorance? They go hand in hand sometimes.

Mike
diskdocx
join:2005-09-26
Burlington, ON

diskdocx to Farchord

to Farchord
said by Farchord:

said by diskdocx:

said by HamtonCogeco :

You guys..... really fail to see the big picture. This is gonna be my last post here, as there's so much bitchin', that this place is becomin' a kennel.

Okay, imagine a small region of Canada, let's say in ontario. Like most places in canada, you are in a duopoly situation: Bell Vs Cogeco.

Let's say Bell has 5000 heavy users, because they have a 150gig bitcap. Cogeco has 150gig too. Bell drops to 100 gig. What will alot of those 5000 heavy users do? Jump ship to Cogeco, which because it's an influx of heavy customers, it will cause congestion issues at the end user nodes.

Until all major ISPs are forced by a 'higher power' (CRTC, Government, ...) to drop the BS, none of them can. Well, technically, if Bell would get that stick out of their ass and remove the bitcap, Cable companies would have to do the same....

It goes both ways.... That's what we call market forces... Canada's in a virtual hole atm, and I mean freakin' deep hole. And Cogeco's the smallest of the cable ISPs.

Most of us do see that big picture. You were one of the few who seemed to think the latest round of changes was a positive, an upgrade.

What you have posted above is completely true. None of the networks want 'heavy' users. In fact, like with their TV offerings, they would prefer you spend $100 per month and not use your connection.

What you have just posted, however, has little to do with your earlier posts or with the topic of this thread. We all realize why this is happening, and why it will continue.

If you actually read what I quoted, you would see that I do get it. Which is why I will leave once a better option comes along, and why IMO companies like Tek are a viable alternative, even with the 'nickel and diming'.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.
join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC

Farchord

said by diskdocx:

Most of us do see that big picture. You were one of the few who seemed to think the latest round of changes was a positive, an upgrade.

What you have posted above is completely true. None of the networks want 'heavy' users. In fact, like with their TV offerings, they would prefer you spend $100 per month and not use your connection.

What you have just posted, however, has little to do with your earlier posts or with the topic of this thread. We all realize why this is happening, and why it will continue.

If you actually read what I quoted, you would see that I do get it. Which is why I will leave once a better option comes along, and why IMO companies like Tek are a viable alternative, even with the 'nickel and diming'.

I wasn't targeting you specifically, more those who are more like, "It's my way or the highway" lol

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Farchord

Premium Member

to Farchord
said by Farchord:

Jump ship to Cogeco, which because it's an influx of heavy customers, it will cause congestion issues at the end user nodes.

I agree with everything you wrote with one exception. If Cogeco's reasoning was congestion issues caused by downloaders, they'd offer offpeak lowered bandwidth consumption, between the hours of 11 PM - 6 AM or thereabouts. This would intelligently move downloaders into an offpeak time, as most downloaders would schedule or initiate their downloads then.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling the overage charges and increased rates are a necessary cash cow for Cogeco, so they prioritize increased profits over customer satisfaction.

If anyone at Cogeco feels I'm wrong, that offpeak lowered bandwidth consumption wouldn't solve some congestion issues, please enlighten me.
Expand your moderator at work
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to Farchord

to Farchord

said by Farchord See Profile

[/BQUOTE :

You lie like cogeco. Do they pay you or something?

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
Wellington N

A Lurker to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

I agree with everything you wrote with one exception. If Cogeco's reasoning was congestion issues caused by downloaders, they'd offer offpeak lowered bandwidth consumption, between the hours of 11 PM - 6 AM or thereabouts. This would intelligently move downloaders into an offpeak time, as most downloaders would schedule or initiate their downloads then.

It's not about congestion (as I think you know). It's about money. When I switched to a business account (from probably a 60GB limit to a 200GB) if they were really concerned about congestion they wouldn't have sold me the account. As it happens I live in a very uncongested area (rarely have slowdowns even in the evening). As I'm paying for my 200GB I use it when I feel like it. There was a while after I switched that it was obvious that overnight downloads were not being counted at 100%, but when that stopped I no longer queued my downloads.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to Farchord

Premium Member

to Farchord
said by Farchord:

I wasn't targeting you specifically, more those who are more like, "It's my way or the highway"

An "It's my way or the highway" attitude is exactly what's needed. The alternative involves sheering and piles of wool.

If everyone had that "It's my way or the highway" attitude and posture... we would be in charge. You know, "we"... as in "we, the people".

I'll take a pass on being a sheep, thank you very much.

Mike
n00bicals3
join:2006-01-18
Carleton Place, ON

n00bicals3 to Gone

to Gone
I am moving into a house with 7 students total. If all like to do moderate downloading (the odd movie, tv shows) then is distributel's 15mb/s service enough? Or is the Turbo 20 more an option.
Toollio
join:2003-11-17
Brazil/Cda

Toollio to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
It's about money--and deterring users from taking advantage of cheap video services such as Netflix. By raising the price of overages, Cogeco thinks it will stop massive use of the burgeoning video services that offer far better value than its cable TV ever will. The new caps are laughable, the overage charges are exploitative.

Just to illustrate how much the world has changed, I have Internet in both Cogeco territory (Cobourg ON) and in Brazil from a big DSL provider. When I first subscribed in Brazil, the costs were far in excess of those in Canada. Today I can get 15/1 meg DSL with unlimited usage for less than I now pay for Cogego's 14/1 meg cable service. What's more, if I want to pay for it I can get 100 meg DSL service in Brazil--where two years ago the max in my neighborhood was 1 meg. As the rest of the world--and in this case the emerging world--advances, Cogeco goes downhill.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
Wellington N

A Lurker to n00bicals3

Premium Member

to n00bicals3
said by n00bicals3:

I am moving into a house with 7 students total. If all like to do moderate downloading (the odd movie, tv shows) then is distributel's 15mb/s service enough? Or is the Turbo 20 more an option.

Seriously I'd avoid any residential plans with 7 students using it. Go to Business Ultimate 50 if it's available in your area. On a 15mb/s or even 20 all you need it two heavy downloaders and you're screwed.

$209.95/month without commitment

That's 29.99 each and you won't be arguing about who ran up the bandwith.
W16
join:2006-08-25
Colborne, ON

W16 to Gone

to Gone
Oh man, so glad I didn't switch from TSI DSL to Cogeco when the first UBB debacle was rubber stamped by the CRTC.

ruddypict
join:2010-03-24

ruddypict to Gone

to Gone
For me, this is the straw that just broke the camel's back. Goodbye Cogeco, I've already started shopping for your replacement, and made room for a couple of DSL modems near my router.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to Toollio

Premium Member

to Toollio
said by Toollio:

It's about money--and deterring users from taking advantage of cheap video services such as Netflix.

Yup. Double-edged sword. Protect dying legacy services and generate a revenue stream like no other. Brilliant.

That's the CRTC, gobbling up that yummy Koolaid.

Mike

Anal Warts
@opera-mini.net

Anal Warts

Anon

Instead of feeding thr trolls being paid to defend Crapego how about we discuss alternatives esp for newbs or sorta newbs like me who may not know the options?

1) Teksavvy DSL (of course)
2) Gone mentioned Shaw/POI's earlier - is Shaw really going to be offering service here?
3) Bell Hotspots (I'm looking at this now - $25/month unlimted tho a $5 VPN may be good for security)
4) Are the rumours that Wind and their stick internet service still happening?
5) Any other suggestions?
ancodia
join:2006-07-10
canada

ancodia to Gone

to Gone
this might help for those thinking of switching : »canadianisp.ca/

For those who stay, seriously consider cancelling/reducing your tv packages, or if you use their phone service switch to voip.ms

AMailer
join:2004-04-03

AMailer to Anal Warts

to Anal Warts
Switch your home to voip.ms if you are up to a bit of self-setup.
Switch your TV to OTA.
Switch to TekSavvy for your Internet.

cablesmurfet
@cgocable.net

cablesmurfet to Gone

Anon

to Gone
It's only $2 more than it was before. If you don't want to pay the $20, don't go over your limit.
n00bicals3
join:2006-01-18
Carleton Place, ON

n00bicals3

"It's only $2 more than it was before. If you don't want to pay the $20, don't go over your limit."

definitely not going to happen with 7 students
W16
join:2006-08-25
Colborne, ON

W16 to cablesmurfet

to cablesmurfet
said by cablesmurfet :

It's only $2 more than it was before. If you don't want to pay the $20, don't go over your limit.

Or do what AMailer suggests and save a ton of money. Life's about choices (as my coworker is fond of saying). Cogeco made their choice, now you can make yours.

Wildbillgeco
@teksavvy.com

Wildbillgeco

Anon

=W16 See ProfileCogeco made their choice, now you can make yours.

Your co-worker speaks wise words. It's much easier to not make a choice and complain about it, so you don't have to face the situation. Probably makes people feel better to complain and see others feel the same, but it's all superficial and meaningless.

The biggest thing anyone can do is call cogeco up and cancel their service and NOT GIVE THEM ANYMORE MONEY that's the only way cogeco listens.

As another adage goes that fits so well here: "Money talks and bullshit walks."