Search similar:

uniqs

heat84
DSLR Influencer
join:2004-03-11
Delray Beach, FL

4 edits

heat84

[bugs] Doesn't anybody around here fix bugs?

There's 3 bugs that STILL haven't been fixed:

1. You can't log in using the login and password fields when making a new post.
2. Right after you login(from the main page), when you submit a new post, you get a blank page instead of going back to the thread(but the post does go through). It's only during the first 5 minutes or so after I log in that this happens.

Then I get this when I click Login

I eventually get logged in, but its ridiculous that that even happens. It doesn't happen often. I think(but I'm not sure) it happens when I'm logged in on one tab and go to log in on another.

All 3 of these bugs are related to the authentication system being defective. I thought things were supposed to be fixed after the site was hacked a month or two ago. If these bugs still exist, the the vulnerability that the hacker exploited probably still does too. Why hasn't anyone fixed these bugs which have existed for the last 3 or 4 months or so?

Would using secure login make a difference with any of these bugs?

What forum software is this anyway? Why doesn't it say on the bottom of the page?

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL

Phil

Premium Member

said by heat84:

What forum software is this anyway? Why doesn't it say on the bottom of the page?

It's custom forum software.

heat84
DSLR Influencer
Delray Beach, FL

1 edit

heat84

said by Phil:

said by heat84:

It's custom forum software.

You mean somebody compiled it as a final project for a programming class that they got a B- in? That's what I thought.

mod_wastrel
anonome
join:2008-03-28

mod_wastrel

Wouldn't it be simpler to click 'Remember me' next time you login and stay logged in? ...avoid the 'bug' altogether.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to heat84

Numquam oblitus

to heat84
See if it works any better now.

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL

Phil to mod_wastrel

Premium Member

to mod_wastrel
said by mod_wastrel:

Wouldn't it be simpler to click 'Remember me' next time you login and stay logged in? ...avoid the 'bug' altogether.

Who in their right mind would do such a thing? That's the first thing I disable on new installs.

heat84
DSLR Influencer
Delray Beach, FL

heat84 to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
said by tmpchaos:

See if it works any better now.

No its not and I just figured out the already logged in bug is triggered(not to be confused with caused). Since I can't log in from a post page , I click log in at the top of that page and get the messages in the pics I posted above. Even though I'm not logged in it shows those messages with the color theme I use instead of the default theme. Why? Its like I'm half logged in.

When I click the next button on the page that says logout first, it logs me out. Then I log in and everything is fine. Fix the can't log in from post pages bug and maybe the already logged in bug will go away.

Since I frequently log in when I'm away from home, the remember me button is useless.

mod_wastrel
anonome

mod_wastrel

said by heat84:

Since I frequently log in when I'm away from home, the remember me button is useless.

I see--problematic, but I wouldn't call it "useless". Though I only access from one location nowadays, I used to access from home and work a lot. I don't remember having any particular problem with session inconsistencies between the two, but if there were, then I'd have to login right away since I'd almost always go to postlist first. If I were doing that now, I'd probably just sync my browser sessions between the two (or however many) places. But, to each his own.

heat84
DSLR Influencer
Delray Beach, FL

heat84

So nobody's gonna fix this? I bet if I was a paying customer, it would get fixed.

Its getting really annoying. And it seems to be getting worse. Now when I click on athread link in an email reply notification, I get "Forum does not exist" in my forum theme.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

said by heat84:

So nobody's gonna fix this? I bet if I was a paying customer, it would get fixed.

Its getting really annoying. And it seems to be getting worse. Now when I click on athread link in an email reply notification, I get "Forum does not exist" in my forum theme.

because some forums are restricted and you aren't logged in.

heat84
DSLR Influencer
Delray Beach, FL

heat84

said by dvd536:

said by heat84:

because some forums are restricted and you aren't logged in.

But I apparently was logged in. Otherwise, why would it give me that message in my chosen forum color scheme instead of the default forum color scheme?
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

Files in browser cache, perhaps?

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S to heat84

Premium Member

to heat84
11 years on the site, never seen this
Expand your moderator at work

Diaboyos
join:2007-08-21
united state

Diaboyos to heat84

to heat84

Re: [bugs] Doesn't anybody around here fix bugs?

Same thing is happening to me man. I try to log in, it tells me I'm already logged in and to log out first (why?). So I do that and it just repeats the process over and over again. I'm not sure how I was able to finally get in to respond to this thread.

heat84
DSLR Influencer
Delray Beach, FL

heat84 to M A R S

to M A R S
said by M A R S:

11 years on the site, never seen this

Have you been a premium user for 11 years?
said by Diaboyos:

Same thing is happening to me man. I try to log in, it tells me I'm already logged in and to log out first (why?). So I do that and it just repeats the process over and over again. I'm not sure how I was able to finally get in to respond to this thread.

Maybe they won't think I'm crazy anymore now that somebody else is reporting the same problem.

Logging in from the main page before you do anything seems to be a work around. And then everything works fine(except for the blank page bug).

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to heat84

Premium Member

to heat84
Why are you logging in from a post reply rather than just loging in in the first place.

I have never run into this because I've needed to try it.

And I use the site from different devices and places.

When I get back home I usually have to log in again because of the changed IP/MAC addresses.

But I have never had an issue just logging in to begin with, and posting.

I have also never had my screen layout or forums appear without logging in, from another IP address than last/current session.

Lastly just how much are you paying to use this place???

It a labor of love not huge profit, though certainly large investment. Personally I find it one of the best free (and low cost extras) sites I have ever encountered.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy to heat84

Premium Member

to heat84
Click for full size
The closest thing to complaint #3 I've experienced is if I'm logged into dslreports.com & I open a new tab & browse to broadbandreports.com
Fortunately the alert page also explains what is happening.

heat84
DSLR Influencer
Delray Beach, FL

heat84 to Hayward0

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

I thought premium users paid.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

4 edits

Hayward0

Premium Member

Not all of us, some have it really minus most of the extras for being original long time members. (Other than the label, only perk without paying I can think of is some since near beginning of site get a free basic line monitor) And don't think that is be done anymore, but as I recall site was founded in 98, and those of us that were there then until maybe 2002, got that gift for being there and spreading the word, when the premium status was started.

But there is really no basic functional difference between registered and premium.

And again you think you are likely to post, then log in when you arrive don't wait til you post. Though the rare time I have done that I recall it working.

I still find it curious, that blind accessing from a new IP from last (or still existing at home) session you would see your specific color scheme. Though I must admit when I do it, it is from different devices IP/MAC adresses.

If you carry a notebook home to place to place that might have something to do with it, but again if a different IP from last log in you should see the default blue/white generic home page, or asked to log in, if it sees a DSLR/BBR cookie.

And when I get back home even though known IP, I will still have to log in again.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr to heat84

Premium Member

to heat84

dude take the tinfoil hat off free or premium bugs exist. and to be honest if you really think its a paid free free member thing than pay 10 bucks, im certain youve gained more than that amount in knowledge alone during the years.

heat84
DSLR Influencer
Delray Beach, FL

1 recommendation

heat84

I wasn't thinking anything. I was just investigating. If premium users didn't in fact experience the bug then that fact could've been a clue to the cause of the problem. But that's apparently not the case.

I haven't experienced the bug in maybe a week so either its fixed or I haven't done whatever its that triggers it.

My tinfoil hat is fused to my head so I can't take it off.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to heat84

Premium Member

to heat84
said by heat84:

said by Hayward0:

you're level 8 so you got everything premium members get[except for that warm fuzzy feeling one gets as they're helping support the site]
dvd536

dvd536 to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

but as I recall site was founded in 98,

Actually it was 1999.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to dvd536

Numquam oblitus

to dvd536
said by dvd536:

you're level 8 so you got everything premium members get[except for that warm fuzzy feeling one gets as they're helping support the site]

Almost but not quite. There are still certain excluded features. One I can think of offhand is seeing if an IM has been read or not.

heat84
DSLR Influencer
Delray Beach, FL

2 edits

heat84 to dvd536

to dvd536
said by dvd536:

said by heat84:

said by Hayward0:

Exactly what premium functions I'm getting.
said by tmpchaos:

Almost but not quite. There are still certain excluded features. One I can think of offhand is seeing if an IM has been read or not.

I just have to laugh when minor site functions are made premium only. At another forum I frequent, being able to delete your own posts is a premium user only function. Its annoying not being able to do that, but the need to do so is rare so I can live without it. And it just makes more work for mods.

I hardly even use IM, so seeing if one has been read is a function I can live without. Join the Broadband Reports Fun club today Mac!LOL
Another premium function I don't have access to is extra emoticons. But I can get around that by getting the URL of one and doing some URL hacking. But they're really nothing special. Also, only premium users can use GIF's for avatars.

Speaking of emoticons, why doesn't BBR have a LOL one? That's like TV not having a power button.
Anyway...

I spoke too soon in my previous post. But I've figured out a workaround. Put your browser profile on a flash drive. That way you'll always be logged in.

I also got that message about making sure your bookmarks point to DSLR instead of BBR (mine is correct and I didn't even use it when the message appeared). I think that was the first time too.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Don't feel bad, premium users here can't delete their own posts.

mod_wastrel
anonome

mod_wastrel

Just curious... when would one ever need to? (I've never understood the "why" of anyone wanting that.)

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by mod_wastrel:

Just curious... when would one ever need to? (I've never understood the "why" of anyone wanting that.)

To delete it before the mods delete it.

mod_wastrel
anonome

mod_wastrel

I delete spam posts all the time. Sadly, the spammers never seem to want this feature.