spc
Search similar:

uniqs

T254
join:2011-07-30
Jamestown, NC

T254

Worst. DVR. Ever.

They just finished putting PLEX in our neighborhood about a month ago...was waiting for my DISH contract to expire before installing. Got the internet/TV $75 bundle.

Pros: Loving the 30/30 internet. I also didn't realize that they ran Cat5 right into the house; my parents who have Verizon FIOS still have coax and I think a cable-modem-esque device. Nice to have one fewer point of failure.

Lots of HD channels and the picture is amazing. I can really tell the difference as compared to the Dish HD.

Cons: Apparently the purchase by Cisco and the elapsed 10 years has not improved the firmware programming capability of the Scientific Atlanta crew. The hardware is great - much smaller, runs MUCH cooler than the TWC or Dish boxes. I've crashed the box twice already. Navigating the guide or any menu is painfully slow. The options for series recording are extremely limited - you get EVERY SINGLE episode, repeated or not. Eventually I figured out that the first crash resulted in the box recording USA HD for 24 hours straight (not necessarily a bad thing, but filled up the HDD to 95%)

When I originally signed up they indicated that a firmware upgrade was tentatively plotted for end of August, which would provide multiroom/multiple simultaneous recordings/and better options (from what I've seen online).

Anyone have any further info or tips for making this box marginally more usable?

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by T254:

They just finished putting PLEX in our neighborhood about a month ago...was waiting for my DISH contract to expire before installing. Got the internet/TV $75 bundle.

Pros: Loving the 30/30 internet. I also didn't realize that they ran Cat5 right into the house; my parents who have Verizon FIOS still have coax and I think a cable-modem-esque device. Nice to have one fewer point of failure.

Lots of HD channels and the picture is amazing. I can really tell the difference as compared to the Dish HD.

Cons: Apparently the purchase by Cisco and the elapsed 10 years has not improved the firmware programming capability of the Scientific Atlanta crew. The hardware is great - much smaller, runs MUCH cooler than the TWC or Dish boxes. I've crashed the box twice already. Navigating the guide or any menu is painfully slow. The options for series recording are extremely limited - you get EVERY SINGLE episode, repeated or not. Eventually I figured out that the first crash resulted in the box recording USA HD for 24 hours straight (not necessarily a bad thing, but filled up the HDD to 95%)

When I originally signed up they indicated that a firmware upgrade was tentatively plotted for end of August, which would provide multiroom/multiple simultaneous recordings/and better options (from what I've seen online).

Anyone have any further info or tips for making this box marginally more usable?

After close to 2 years of promises, I gave up and switched to DirecTV. Cheaper, better quality, and their DVR service is light years ahead.

The 30/30 internet is nice though.