All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
earlycuyler4
join:2011-07-30

earlycuyler4

Issues with Qwest 20mb/896k DSL and Q1000

I am having a problem with my quest DSL connection using the Q1000 modem. The link drops randomly and the only way to get it to resync is to power cycle the modem, sometimes it will be up for 24 hours some times 5 minutes and then I have to repeat the power cycle process. I am noticing that after a period of time the near end CRC error interleave slowly increases from 0 after the reboot up to several 1000 before I loose connectivity. The upstream and downstream SNR looks to be good at 19db and 14db respectively. I have ran new cat 5e from the demarc directly to the DSL modem jack so I do not think it is an inside wiring issue. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated if there is any additional info I can post that would be helpful please let me know.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Do you have another Router between the Q1000 and your computer? Are you wired or wireless to your computer? Also, do you own or are you leasing the Q1000?
earlycuyler4

earlycuyler4

I am directly connected to the Q1000 I have a cisco/linksys wireless access point connected to the Q1000 but I am only using that to provide network access for my TV and DVD player. I own the Q1000 and have had it replaced twice by qwest technicians due to hardware failure. Some additional information, the modem retrained 5 times over night and the 30 minute near end CRC intreleave is up to 1500, the SNR has jumped to 21db down and 22db up. I was thinking that maybe the Q1000 is just a flawed piece of hardware I am running the most current firmware available thinking about trying to get a Q1000z or the PK5000z. Any help is greatly appreciated, Thank You
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink to earlycuyler4

to earlycuyler4
Have you called Qwest and told them you have a problem?
earlycuyler4

earlycuyler4

Yes I have called Qwest repeatedly, the first time they came out they replaced the Q1000 which worked for about an hour. I called back and they dispatched another technician who also replaced the Q1000, this time it worked for about two days and then started to randomly loose connection. I called Qwest back and explained the situation to them, spent 2 hours troubleshooting with the phone tech support only to have another technician dispatched. On that visit the tech moved the port I was on at the CO and everything was fine for about a day and then the issue started again. I am sure I will have to call them again, the reason for my post is to gather more information about the issue and hopefully be able to provide the tech support people more information/direction as to exactly where the issue is occurring.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I have read mostly good things about the Q1000 on this forum, and since you are on your 3rd one, I doubt that is the issue.

If I were you, I would disconnect the cisco/linksys wireless access point to see if that is the culprit. I would make sure that only your computer is connected to the Q1000 and see what happens.
earlycuyler4

earlycuyler4

It is worth a shot I will try that tonight and see if the disconnects continue.
earlycuyler4

earlycuyler4

I disconnected the wireless access point so that my laptop is the only thing connected and the connection is still dropping. I have observed that right before/after the connection drops the 30 minute near end CRC Interleave shoots up to several million and the 30 minute minute near end FEC jumps to several 100K, also the SNR jumps to 257db down the up SNR stays the same. Any thoughts or suggestions?

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Hopefully TalkToQwest will read this thread and have some answers for you.

G K
@qwest.net

G K to earlycuyler4

Anon

to earlycuyler4
Another suggestion is to make sure you disable all programs on your laptop that are connecting to the internet. This would include all instant messenger programs, file transfering/sharing, etc... One by one start each program (run one program for a day, then run the next) If you notice the connection drop out, it might be that program causing your problem (file sharing programs often will cause this.)

Another thing to consider is how far away are you from the CO? If you are at or around 2 miles this is the extreme limit for DSL service. YOU WILL experience drop outs because the signal can receive interference easily. (One way to tell is to call support, the other is what is the maximum speed qwest offers. If qwest can only provide you with 1.5 Mbit service your likely on the outer limits of DSL provisioning.)

Dave_StPaul
@qwest.net

Dave_StPaul to earlycuyler4

Anon

to earlycuyler4
Depending on your location of your device in the home, the Q1000 does run a little warm and you could be having thermal issues. It has been a very warm and humid summer. The Q1000 casing isn't liberally covered with passive cooling vents.

I have a Q1000 and a while back black fungus took hold inside the telecommunication network interface box outside. The insulation on the wire pairs was eaten off, the wires were green with corrosion and one lead was broken within the crimp terminal so the Q1000 was bleeding signal across the gap to maintain connection. WOW! Couldn't believe it, no dial tone, calls wouldn't ring through but still had Internet, talk about robust!

I have the 7mbps/896 package. I wasn't getting that speed on that broken pair mind you but if I remember correctly, I was getting 1mbps down and 250 kps up.

I was extremely impressed! After a service repair, everything went back to normal. The Q1000 performs in the most punitive configurations in my opinion.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

The OP has had 3 different Q1000's. I don't think that is the problem. It is either what the prior poster stated, a problem with a program on the OP's computer, or the problem is on Qwest's end.

To the OP....Why don't you try deleting the driver for your Nic Card on your computer, and then making sure that you have the most updated driver installed. Just a guess on my part.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to earlycuyler4

to earlycuyler4
Hello earlycuyler, this is B with the Talk To CenturyLink Team. Have you received help with your DSL service already. If not, and you are still needing assistance with your DSL service, send us an e-mail to TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com, and we'll be happy to take a look at your DSL line.

Thanks,

B
Talk To CenturyLink Team
BearKiller
join:2004-08-23
Colorado Springs, CO

BearKiller to earlycuyler4

to earlycuyler4
I am having the dropping issue constantly with the wireless. Connecting directly to the modem does not seem to have any issues and I am running the current firmware.