spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

voidpointer

join:2009-09-07

How to setup Westell 9100EM in bridge mode?

I just had FIOS installed here in Texas, and I have both TV and Internet service. They installed a Westell router with model number A90-9100EM15-10.

I have my own router and I would like to set up the Westell router in bridge mode so my D-Link router is the one that has the WAN IP that the ISP actually assigns. Basically I only want the Westell router to be used for the TV service only.

Are there clear, step-by-step instructions on how to do this? I did some Googling on my own but I wasn't able to find anything, probably because I don't know the right search terms.

Thanks in advance.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

You can't bridge the Westell. However, you can switch your WAN connection from coax to cat 5.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet

Then you would be able to use option 6 or 7 in the following FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

Options 6 and 7 do not support on screen caller id or remote DVR without a complex work around. VOD and guide data will continue to work.

Also make sure your router supports FIOS speeds. Many older routers do not.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

voidpointer

If I enable DMZ host on the Westell for my router, that should be basically the same thing as bridge right? Except I won't have the Verizon WAN IP assigned to the D-Link.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

In theory, yes,

voidpointer

reply to voidpointer

I keep a dynamic DNS domain name around that reflects the public IP of my server, however my D-Link router normally is the thing that updates this dynamic DNS. Is there a way to tell the Westell router to assign its WAN IP to my D-Link router? I don't think this will be possible but I want to ask just in case there are any work arounds.

I'd like to do the Ethernet idea but my ONT is at one corner of the house in a closet, and I can't run 100-200ft of cat5e across three bedrooms to get it to my PC for connectivity. The Verizon tech who installed my service already setup the Westell router at a coaxial connection right by my computer so there are no wires to run.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by voidpointer:

I keep a dynamic DNS domain name around that reflects the public IP of my server

If you're using DynDNS, then the Westell can update DynDNS.
said by voidpointer:

Is there a way to tell the Westell router to assign its WAN IP to my D-Link router?

No.
said by voidpointer:

I want to ask just in case there are any work arounds.

You can pick up an Actiontec on ebay. Unlike the Westell, the Actiontec can be bridged.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

tembit

join:2008-09-03

Of course the 9100EM can be bridge. By default, the LAN interfaces (Wireless, Ethernet - Cat5 and Coax) are all in a single bridge group.

What you have to do is create a new bridge interface and add your WAN and LAN interfaces to the bridge. You may have to remove the LAN interfaces from the existing bridge before this will work.

IP connectivity over coax will probably be an issue. You may be able to keep the coax and one or two LAN switch ports in another bridge group and cable the 9100EM back to your router in order to provide IP services to that LAN. I haven't played with this much, so your milage will vary.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by tembit:

Of course the 9100EM can be bridge.

Have you actually done this with a Westell 9100EM?
If so, please post specific steps.

We're not talking about the LAN, MOCA LAN and WLAN bridge. We're talking about the WAN interface. As I said before, unlike the Actiontec, the Westell coax WAN interface can not be removed from the WAN bridge. Therefore, it is not possible to create a new bridge with the coax WAN port and one of the ethernet switch ports.
--

tembit

Well, to prove a point, I just added the WAN interface, which was never in a bridge group, to the Home Network bridge. My ASA isn't getting a DHCP address from the WAN, so perhaps the ONT uses port security or sticky ARP, so I need to reset it? The other option is that VZ sees DHCP requests from multiple MACs (WLAN is on the bridge), so the DHCP server isn't issuing an IP.

At any rate, simply selecting the Home Network bridge object (network connections), selecting the Bridging tab and adding the WAN interface to the bridge works. Of course, I had to disable the IP address on the bridge object (don't want multiple subnets on the same LAN), which made the 9100EM inaccessible. In hindsight, I should have created a new bridge that only contained the WAN interface and the switch interfaces.

Now to get back to work...

tembit

1 edit

I had another go, and it was as simple as changing the MAC address on the Broadband Ethernet Connection (9100EM) and then assigning the original MAC address to the WAN interface on my ASA. I also set up a second bridge interface bound to the Wifi interface only so I could maintain an admin interface on the 9100EM. I could have simply reset the ONT, but the power plug is on the ceiling of my garage and my ladder isn't readily accessible.

I am posting this message via a fully bridged WAN connection on the 9100EM. Now to change things back to normal.

FYI, I don't have TV service, so I was unable to test for a signal over coax, as the interface is down.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to voidpointer

An internet only bridge is indeed possible with the Westell. See option #4 in the trade-offs FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

However, the OP has both internet and TV, and therefore needs the double bridge (option #5), which no one has ever accomplished with the Westell due to the inability to split the WAN bridge.
--

socalhdtv

join:2004-01-07
Pacific Palisades, CA
reply to tembit

Hello. Would you be kind enough to post your EXACT steps to accomplish this? Several of us have tried but never succeeded.

Also - as More Fiber mentioned: are you connected via Coax (seems not)? It seems like the Coax connection may be the sticking point.

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
reply to voidpointer

Can I use this as the primary router and be able to use all the Verizon features, such as caller id on tv, remote dvr scheduling, etc or does it only work with the Actiontec in my area? I'm looking at some on ebay. Thanks.
--
25/25 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by Bytezboy:

Can I use this as the primary router and be able to use all the Verizon features, such as caller id on tv, remote dvr scheduling, etc or does it only work with the Actiontec in my area?

Yes, the Westell 9100EM should give you all the VZ features when used as your primary router.
--

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

said by More Fiber:

said by Bytezboy:

Can I use this as the primary router and be able to use all the Verizon features, such as caller id on tv, remote dvr scheduling, etc or does it only work with the Actiontec in my area?

Yes, the Westell 9100EM should give you all the VZ features when used as your primary router.

I can confirm, I am in an Actiontec area (PA) and used a Westell for over a year that I bought on eBay. It worked just fine.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

voidpointer

reply to voidpointer

I have my DynDNS setup through the Westell router now so that it gets the proper WAN IP assigned to it. When I connect to services in my LAN behind my D-Link router from a computer outside of my LAN, I can connect to that service just fine. However, if I try to connect to that service from a computer within the LAN, I cannot connect. I don't know why, this used to work when my D-Link had the WAN IP. The path should go as follows:

LAN Computer >> D-Link >> Westell >> {Internet} >> Westell >> D-Link >> LAN Server

Why can I not connect to web services on my LAN using my WAN IP (DynDNS hostname) from another computer on the same LAN?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

How are the D-Link and the Westell connected?
•Westell LAN to D-Link WAN (tradeoffs FAQ, option #1), or
•Westell LAN to D-Link LAN (tradeoffs FAQ option #3)
--

voidpointer

said by More Fiber:

How are the D-Link and the Westell connected?
•Westell LAN to D-Link WAN (tradeoffs FAQ, option #1), or
•Westell LAN to D-Link LAN (tradeoffs FAQ option #3)

Neither. I am using Option 2. I have set my D-Link router to be in DMZ mode on the Westell router, so I don't have to forward ports to my D-Link explicitly. I want all network traffic to route to my D-Link.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

That's not going to work.

Resolution of the DNS name should work and result in the external IP address of the Westell being sent back to the LAN computer. When the LAN computer tries to send to that external IP address, the Westell will recognize that it is it's own IP address and not route it to the internet. The Westell doesn't treat this as DMZ traffic since it didn't come from the internet. And the D-Link won't see the traffic because you're double NAT'ed.

In order to do this, you need to go with option #3.
--

voidpointer

I keep getting burned by having 2 routers. I actually could care less about the Westell router, I want to use my own router. I want to use the NAT on my router not the Westell. When I had Verizon without TV this was so much easier.

Option 3 requires me to essentially disable my D-Link, which makes me wonder why I should even use it in the first place if I go that route (Just remove it completely and use true switches).

I really don't want to use Option 3. Could I make Option 1 work as good as Option 2 but have it work in the case where I reference LAN services using a public facing IP?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

One additional thought I had regarding my previous response:

When you tried option #2, did you also enable the DMZ on the D-Link?

As I see it, you have the following choices if you want the D-Link as your primary router:
•Keep the coax connection and replace the Westell with an Actiontec (option #5). Actiontecs are available on eBay for cheap.
•Switch to an ethernet connection and use option #6 or #7.
--

voidpointer

More Fiber,

I apologize for continuously popping up unrelated questions but you've just been so damn helpful

First of all thanks for narrowing down my options. I'm probably going to go with the actiontec route, since connecting my D-Link directly up to the ONT will require it be on the other side of the house which complicates my cabling I already have in place.

My new question is about my upload speeds. When I visit speedtest.verizon.com when I'm connected to my DLink (I'm using Option #2 still, through DMZ on the Westell), I get about 12Mbps upstream and I'm on the 35/35 plan. However, when I connect my same PC up directly to the Westell, I get 35Mbps exactly. What could I look at changing in my D-Link to get the speeds working correctly?

voidpointer

Never mind on my last question, I found the problem. Apparently the GameFuel feature of the D-Link DGL-4500 causes some serious connection delays and bandwidth issues. I disabled this feature on the router and now things are a lot snappier and my upload speeds are perfect.

voidpointer

reply to voidpointer

@More Fiber

I found out I can get ahold of an ActionTec router. A friend of mine has one from the old days when Verizon was still handing them out in Dallas.

I've gone through Google search results as well as the FIOS FAQ here, but I am so overwhelmed by all of the information I don't know what to read.

If I get the ActionTec, I want my D-Link to have the WAN IP and I want the ActionTec to be a straight bridge to my Router. However, I want the STB to function the same and do what it normally does. In other words, the STB & my TV service should not change or be limited by whatever configuration I choose.

Are there clear instructions (Since I'm not that great with this stuff, I need it dumbed down) on how to get this particular scenario setup?

Thanks!

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

Since you have FIOS-TV and want to stay on a coax WAN connection, what you want is the "double bridge" (option #5).

The instructions for the double bridge are here:
»Re: MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E Configuration Thread

There is one correction to the instructions.
In part 2 at line 14, it should read:
14. Bridge – Settings – If "routing mode" is not displayed after routing, Select Routing - Advanced. "Routing mode" should then appear.
14a. Routing Mode – NAPT - Apply

One other option that is open to you is to pick up MOCA bridge. Either a Netgear MCAB1001 or D-Link DXN-220 will work. Set the MOCA bridge for channel C4 (MOCA WAN). You connect the MOCA bridge to the coax where you want your router, then connect the WAN port of your router to ethernet side of the MOCA bridge. Now you router can pull your public IP address.
--

voidpointer

said by More Fiber:

Since you have FIOS-TV and want to stay on a coax WAN connection, what you want is the "double bridge" (option #5).

The instructions for the double bridge are here:
»Re: MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E Configuration Thread

There is one correction to the instructions.
In part 2 at line 14, it should read:
14. Bridge – Settings – If "routing mode" is not displayed after routing, Select Routing - Advanced. "Routing mode" should then appear.
14a. Routing Mode – NAPT - Apply

One other option that is open to you is to pick up MOCA bridge. Either a Netgear MCAB1001 or D-Link DXN-220 will work. Set the MOCA bridge for channel C4 (MOCA WAN). You connect the MOCA bridge to the coax where you want your router, then connect the WAN port of your router to ethernet side of the MOCA bridge. Now you router can pull your public IP address.

So the hardware MOCA bridge is the simplest solution?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by voidpointer:

So the hardware MOCA bridge is the simplest solution?

I consider it an elegant solution since the MOCA bridge presents to your router's WAN port exactly what would be presented if you connected your router to the ONT via cat5 without having to physically run cat5 to the ONT.

It does introduce additional cost and another box that can fail.

Unfortunately, Netgear only sells the MCAB1001s in pairs (you only need one). Although sometimes you can find a singleton on eBay from somebody that bought a pair and only needed one. D-Link announced that the DXN-221 would be available singly, however, whenever I have searched for one I have only found the D-Links available in pairs (DXN-220). Both Netgear and D-Link market them like powerline ethernet adapters where you use one at each end. Of course in the situation we're talking about, the ONT is functioning as one of the adapters.
--

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to voidpointer

I'll add, having used a pair of Westells for over 2 years, with flawless performance, your need to use the Dlink as primary has no technical merit.

If you want the 1gig ports for the LAN or wireless N, just LAN to LAN connect the Dlink to the Westell ( use the FAQ for details ). In this configuration, there is absolutely no advantage to having the Dlink as primary router.

With the pair of westells ( so the blue-ray / home theater is online ) and both radios enabled, I have 54G anywhere in the home with full speed solid connections, better than anything the DIR655 they replaced could do

voidpointer

1 edit
reply to voidpointer

More Fiber,

I got through the first series of steps in the guide you linked me to. The next series of steps is supposed to enable VOD, Widgets, etc. Everything goes well until Step 4, where I have to change Coax to Broadband Connection. There is usually a drop down I get to pick from here, but this time there wasn't. It was just fixed at "Network (Home/Office)". I couldn't go any further here without the other steps messing up too (Settings kept resetting every time I hit apply when I created my own bridge and stuff).

Any idea what is going wrong here?

Right now my D-Link has a public WAN IP, but my TV guide and such aren't working because these last steps are not complete.

Here is the ActionTec router that I have:
»fiberfaq.com/article/actiontec-m···-37.html

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by voidpointer:

Here is the ActionTec router that I have:
»fiberfaq.com/article/actiontec-m···-37.html

That link is for an Actiontec rev. A.
•Please confirm that you have a rev. A router.
•What firmware revision do you have in the Actiontec?

I have a rev. A that I can use to double check those steps, but it will take me a day or so to reconfigure it.
--