spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Robwynge

@verizon.net

[DSL] How much difference does the modem make?

Hello,

We have Verizon DSL 3Mbps, a Westell 7500 modem/router, one computer connected through a wired PPPoE connection and the other connected wireless. The operating system on the wired connection is Windows 7, and the OS for the wireless laptop is Vista (I understand that both are un-tweakable).

I am not unhappy with our connection speed, but I want to be sure I am getting the best performance possible. Here are my transceiver stats as of tonight:

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 800
Margin (dB) 31.1 10.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 27.0 16.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 16.7 11.9

After searching these forums at length, I am still unclear what elements contribute to better performance in what circumstances. I understand there isn't much to be done about the wiring from Verizon to our apartment, or our distance from the central office. I know from reading the Verizon forum that a lot of people don't like the Westell 7500, but how much difference would a different, or even a "high performance," modem and/or router make in terms of speed and more stable connections?

Of if it's not the modem itself, are there certain settings to any modem than help improve speed and quality? For example, I experimented the QoS settings and enabled the "Turbo TCP." That did seem to improve the speeds somewhat.

If these are dumb questions I should have figured out on my own, I apologize! Thanks for your help!

-Rob

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

The MODEM is syncing at DSL Speed of (Kbits/Sec) 3360 800. This looks about right for your 3mb/s connection.

Run a couple of speed tests on both the wired and the wireless boxes and post what you get.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra