uniqs
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

AndyDufresne

Premium Member

FCC commisioners should get 80% of their pay

I like how report takes the tone that 80% of what you pay for is ok.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

1 recommendation

Matt3

Premium Member

said by AndyDufresne:

80% is okay for a "best effort" service, especially when overhead is taken into account. If you want 100%, you're welcome to pay for a line with an SLA, at approximately 100 times the price.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to AndyDufresne

to AndyDufresne
A LOT less for the capped connections. Only a few percent of what is advertised, unless the ad lists the cap in equal prominence.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

1 recommendation

Matt3

Premium Member

said by Wilsdom:

A LOT less for the capped connections. Only a few percent of what is advertised, unless the ad lists the cap in equal prominence.

The achieved percentage of actual maximum throughput in megabits per second relative to advertised maximum throughput in megabits per second is not related to the amount of transfer you are allowed in one month. Please for the love of god stop muddying the waters with this stupid, incorrect analogy.

This analogy is the same as stating a car manufacturer promised you that your car can hit 100 miles per hour, but is not delivering because you can't achieve 100 mph, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, because your gas tank runs out.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3
makes a person wonder why it is 100 times the price...

Six Gun Kid
Premium Member
join:2001-07-02
Huntsville, AL

Six Gun Kid to AndyDufresne

Premium Member

to AndyDufresne
said by AndyDufresne:

That was when Mediacrap and I parted ways when I told them I was only will to pay "up to" a percentage of my bill...Did not go over well..
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to Matt3

to Matt3
It's more like buying an electric car that comes with two swappable batteries that take one month to charge. The most important characteristic about that car that a buyer wants to know is how far it goes on a charge--and it better be damned far. Top speed is of minor or no importance.

Any comparison between the value and performance of ISP products must take into account both capacity and speed. If you can't see that it's not the waters that are muddy, it is your eyes.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by Wilsdom:

Any comparison between the value and performance of ISP products must take into account both capacity and speed. If you can't see that it's not the waters that are muddy, it is your eyes.

You are correct, but this study is not about "value," it is about whether or not the maximum advertised speeds are achieved at various points throughout the day.

I'm sure Consumer Reports would be glad to sell you a study from the "value" aspect.