uniqs
ssavoy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

ssavoy

Premium Member

Comcast fudges speed tests

My downloading over the past 24 hours on Comcast. Only once did it spike over what I pay for. Of course I get 25mbps consistently on speed tests but the real speeds I get are about 40-50% of what I actually pay for (the dark black line in the image).

leo81486
join:2010-10-21
Brooklyn, NY

leo81486

Re: Comcast fudges speed tests

than i must be the lucky one with TWC.
i paid for 15/1 RR turbo, always more than 15.. most of the time over 20 mb down.. mid night around 4 am i got power boost to 40 mb down sometimes...
FactChecker
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03

1 edit

FactChecker to ssavoy

Premium Member

to ssavoy
How are you downloading/testing? Single stream, multi-stream, etc.... TCP and distance will impact your speed measurements.

Also this data looks like 5 min averages vs actual speeds

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

SpaethCo

MVM

Re: Comcast fudges speed tests

said by FactChecker:

TCP and distance will impact your speed measurements.

Not to mention taking what is clearly bursty traffic and diluting it down to 5 minute averages for the graphs.
Ricanlegend
join:2011-05-18
Bronx, NY

Ricanlegend to FactChecker

to FactChecker

As much as i dont like cablevision

Those numbers has to be people with docsis 2.0 , I have docsis 3.0 and i constantly get 42 or 43 mbps during prime time wheres there alot of people online

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to ssavoy

Premium Member

to ssavoy
said by ssavoy:

My downloading over the past 24 hours on Comcast. Only once did it spike over what I pay for.

How do your tests run? Do they not run when cross-traffic from your LAN is running? Is it over WiFi, etc.? The SamKnows tests extract out the entire home LAN.

See page 5 - the SamKnows FCC tests go to just behind point #5, and does not include the home LAN. It also says "Not all elements of broadband performance are under the control of the consumer's ISP, and there are factors that affect a consumer's broadband experience that were not measured in this study."

BatBAt
@12.153.112.x

BatBAt to ssavoy

Anon

to ssavoy
Not suprisesd. I worked for them for a year and a half. We knew about them throttling bandwidth, but couldn't say anything for the sake of keeping our jobs. When it hit the news, I skipped to the office and quit. I walked away from hell on earth and never looked back. I bet the ports used for testing are biased..
I would rather mop a public toilet with a piece of yarn than ever work for them again.