share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to RedCaliSS

Re: Sam Knows Participant.

Read that email again. The test is NOT over. Testing continues at LEAST until the end of this year at which time there will be another report released publicly.

Testing originally was scheduled for a MINIMUM of THREE YEARS after which we could do whatever we wanted with the Netgear router. I suspect it may end at the end of one year simply because of the economy but we have NOT been told if it will continue after the second report is released at the end of the year.

The current report is ONLY FOR THE MONTH OF MARCH 2011. Plus, only about 6000 of the 9000+ testers results are represented in the PDF report.

From the email:

"Both SamKnows and the FCC plan to continue the project and to
work with the ISPs, Academics and consumer groups to increase transparency
generally in the marketplace. We’d like you to remain on the panel
as there are plans to do another report at the end of this year and
to compare the results between the two reports. We will keep running
the tests and keep giving access to the data. If you have any
questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Otherwise, we’ll
look forward to working with you!"

So, don't go trying to flash that Netgear with third party Tomato, or whatever, firmware yet.

The email goes on to say:

"We’re also looking for more volunteers so we can continue to grow
the panel, so if you have any friends, colleagues or neighbours that
would like to measure their broadband performance using the
FCC/SamKnows tests, please direct them to SamKnows.com and we’ll try to send them a Whitebox."

So, anyone interested sign up! I don't know if you will get a Netgear though. I have the Netgear but had a lot of problems with it in bridged mode (it worked fine though when I took my router out of the picture) so SamKnows, about 2.5 months ago, sent me a different router . I am the first tester in the USA to have it. I like it a lot better, at least for bridged mode.

--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson