how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kagetora13

join:2009-03-20

Calling all Velcom users to discuss outages the past year

Fellow Velcom Users

I've decided to put up this post to start getting some feedback around the sporadic outages we have been seeing at Velcom. The issue does not appear to be the frequency but the length of time it takes for the issue to be dealt with. As a result I am calling out to the user community to post their comments and feelings of what has been going on for the past year. I feel this thread would be useful for Velcom to review so we can get some level of commitment on a solution.

I have also decided to write Velcom to open a dialogue to see what can be done to improve uptime of the service.

Letter to Velcom:
===========

Velcom Sales

I've decided to contact you after seeing a pattern of multiple outages over the past couple of months. What I've noticed is when there is an outage in the middle of the night the issue does not appears to get looked at till after 10:00 am the next day. When I call Velcom support I get a steady busy tone and the only way I know there is an outage is to use my work dial in connection and then check dslreports website to see if other users are experiencing issues. At this point I feel I need to question what my expectations should be for uptime of your service.

In the case of July 29 the Velcom internet service went down after 10:00 pm Friday and did not come back up till after 10:30 am Saturday.

If need to direct my concern to a specific person please let me know.

DTToronto

@rogers.com

My internet is down for almost one hour now. Unbelievable!

MarkARC22

@blount.ca

Note: I have Velcom DSL.

I have two main issues with Velcom going down:

1) Their DNS Server goes down. The connection to Velcom is still active, and my router says I am connected to the internet but I cannot access anything with a hostname. (I can still access websites if I know their IP addresses or if the IP address is cached locally). I get this problem 3 times a day and the only way I can fix this problem is by disconnecting and reconnecting to Velcom. I made the change and used a 3rd party DNS Server (I think google's) and I haven't had this problem since.

2) My router says that I am disconnected from Velcom. On the modem, the DSL light is still on (So i know I am physically connected). This issue happens once every two weeks, normally around midnight. Rebooting the router or modem doesn't help this problem. Eventually the router will reconnect again. This problem can last for 5 minutes or 2 days.

Aside from these two issues mentioned above, the Velcom connection is great.

I have been with Velcom for around 2 years now. I chose Velcom because of their price. I knew and expected when I chose Velcom that I would have more connection issues than with Bell (my previous provider) and that Velcom support wouldn't be helpful. (I have given up on Velcom support to fix my issues.)

When the day comes that I cannot stand Velcom's service anymore, I will change. I will most likely go with Teksavvy DSL or switch to Cable.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by MarkARC22 :

1) Their DNS Server goes down. The connection to Velcom is still active, and my router says I am connected to the internet but I cannot access anything with a hostname. (I can still access websites if I know their IP addresses or if the IP address is cached locally). I get this problem 3 times a day and the only way I can fix this problem is by disconnecting and reconnecting to Velcom. I made the change and used a 3rd party DNS Server (I think google's) and I haven't had this problem since.

Why do people insist upon using the their ISP's DNS server? I use Level 3 (4.2.2.x) and Google (8.8.8.x). Maybe 10+yrs ago the choice was limited but not anymore.

If you switch to either of these DNS servers you'll find your problem resolved quickly.
--
All Hail Harper, the Wannabe King of Canada

MarkARC22

@blount.ca

said by elwoodblues:

said by MarkARC22 :

Why do people insist upon using the their ISP's DNS server? I use Level 3 (4.2.2.x) and Google (8.8.8.x). Maybe 10+yrs ago the choice was limited but not anymore.

If you switch to either of these DNS servers you'll find your problem resolved quickly.

Why do people reply to a comment without reading the whole comment first? I changed to a 3rd party DNS server already. And I haven't looked back since. I was merely reiterating the problem I was having to help someone else.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

Actually, it does sometimes make sense to use your ISP's DNS. There are services that geolocate you according to where your DNS server is located, and route you to the closest servers.

What I do is use ISP server as primary, and then google or level3 as secondary in case primary fails.
--
BUCK FELL. From UBB to AVP. Same wolf in sheep's clothing.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to MarkARC22

said by MarkARC22 :

[

Why do people reply to a comment without reading the whole comment first? I changed to a 3rd party DNS server already. And I haven't looked back since. I was merely reiterating the problem I was having to help someone else.

Sorry didn't see that you had. You went on about having to type in IP's and stuff, which told me you were using Velcom's DNS servers.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to HiVolt

It might work on a Mac, but in XP (and I can't speak for Vista/7) it never switches to the secondary DNS server if the first one fails.
--

asif9t9

join:2006-01-01
Oakville, ON
reply to kagetora13

Hey, I have been having a problem where my internet is slow (but web pages work), but I can't connect to my router (TP Link 1043ND, 192.168.1.1). I get an error like the webpage doesn't exist.

Rebooting my router gets things going again. I wonder if this is a DNS Server lookup thing, too?

If not, I was googling around for an MTU suggestion. Default for my router is now 1480.

Reimer

join:2006-08-14
Toronto, ON
reply to MarkARC22

I had the very same issues when I was with Velcom. I canceled my account with them way back in December. I remember having this issues with months.. maybe even a year before switching over to TS Cable.

That is pretty crazy they still have yet to fix that.

Redfox

join:2007-12-04
Canada
reply to kagetora13

I have been with Velcom for almost three years and I always have this problem. I felt it's acceptable before, but after I switched to VoIP as my main phone service and now I mostly work from home I feel this is sort of unacceptable. For me stability is way more important than speed and price.

I would like to see Velcom act on this issue asap and get it solved soon. If so I would be happy to stay with them. Otherwise I will have to consider switching ISP, though their price is good for me.

Farmer Chuck

@teksavvy.com
reply to kagetora13

With the price of bandwidth being virtually free in other countries why does only Canada try to rob people by sporadically cutting off their feed? What does it save them? 50 dollars a month but they in turn lose 500 subscribers.

countaltec

join:2008-06-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to MarkARC22

Hi Mark
I have been with Velcom for over 4 years now. I have had the same 2 problems as you sporadically previously but more often lately. There are some days I work from home and having my connection go down in the middle of the day is a big headache.
When I call support I get the same busy signal or am forever on hold. I don't think I can take this any longer and may switch soon.
Cheers.

jbiss_ca

join:2007-10-14
Verdun, QC
reply to kagetora13

I've been with Velcom for 4 years now and I really noticed they service going downhill and fast. I very often have PPPoE connect problems. I've signed up for a DSL login from another company for now and haven't had any problems since however it costs $10 more a month.
I'm cancelling my server at the end of September, I've had enough of the terrible service.

Aurelian

join:2008-06-22
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to MarkARC22

Here are my Velcom horror stories. I have been a Velcom customer since 2008 and had relatively good service with them up until recently.

About a month ago, the static IP that I subscribed to suddenly became a dynamic IP which of course threw out my mail and web server. No one at Velcom notified me that they were having problems and needed to change my static IP over to a dynamic IP. Of course I looked pretty stupid as my clients started calling me telling me that my emails were bouncing back. Tech support was virtually non-existant and I had to call several times and wait over an hour before someone answered the phone. They finally resolved the problem after about a week which meant I had huge interruptions with my email.

Now my second story, a week ago Monday while I was remotely assisting a client, my internet suddenly dies. I figured it was just a minor interruption but after 3 hours of no service, I called tech support. After waiting for about 30 minutes for someone to answer the call, I explained what my problem was. He ran through some diagnostics and couldn't find the problem. I have a couple of dsl modems which I tried, and also tried creating a PPPOE connection on 2 different laptops. Nothing worked. The tech support guy told me to wait a few hours and hopefully the problem will resolve itself so I decided to call it a night and see if everything would be working the next day. Of course, the next morning nothing changed and I still had no internet access. I called tech support again and after running through the same tests that we did the day before, there still wasn't any resolution. He finally said that he would contact Bell and they would send a technician out but told me that I would be charged if they found that the problem was something on my end.

The Bell technician arrived and he was very friendly. He proceeded to do some testing and found there was nothing wrong on my end. The modem had a dsl sync and the lines were working correctly. He told me that he suspected that the problem was with my ISP (Velcom) since there was nothing wrong with my hardware or my line.

I called Velcom again and after waiting another 30 minutes, finally managed to speak to a tech support guy who told me that he didn't know what the problem was. During this time, I had purchased another dsl modem which didn't work either even though it had a dsl sync as did all the other modems. It did tell me in the diagnostics page that the line was fine. So at the end of the day, I was so upset by the whole experience that I spoke to the sales representative who wasn't at all friendly and requested that my service be terminated. He told me that I have to pay for the next month because they require 30 days notice. I mention that I don't have any of the service that I paid for and he told me it doesn't matter, it's not his problem. He also told me that I have to pay the $99 for the Bell technician because the problem wasn't a bell problem. I tried to explain to him that Bell said the problem was on their end but he said if the problem was on Velcom's side, there wouldn't be any internet service for anyone.

After this horrific experience, I would suggest anyone thinking of signing up with Velcom to stay away from them. They're a terrible and unethical company with horrible tech support. Don't expect to help you out in any way. I think it's worth the $150 I'm paying to get rid of them.

SimonJones
MTS Allstream Alliance

join:2010-09-16
Mississauga, ON

Yikes.

Did you ever find out what the problem was? Or did things just start working again all of a sudden?

Aurelian

join:2008-06-22
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to kagetora13

Hi Simon.

Unfortunately my problem was never resolved. I wouldn't be as upset if Velcom was more helpful in trying to fix the problem. I never got an apology or any real help from them. According to them, the problem was on my end and they weren't willing to help me out apart from telling me to reboot the modem and try to log in a few times. There wasn't any other solutions and they basically left me to my own devices. I got the feeling they didn't value me as a customer neither did they care if I took my business somewhere else.

So far, I've been without internet for about 2 weeks. Velcom is still charging me until September 30 even though they're not providing a service. When I mentioned this, they said it doesn't make a difference to their cancellation policy.

Thank god for Mobilicity and unlimited thethering otherwise I would be pretty screwed.

Hopefully your experience with them will be better but mine left a bad taste in my mouth.

Cyborg994

join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC
reply to kagetora13

I was thinking of signing up for VDSL2 with them, since they are almost 20$ cheaper then teksavvy, but i'm really not sure anymore with all the negative feedback...

asif9t9

Oakville, ON

Saturday morning, Velcom down again.

Quake110
Premium
join:2003-12-20
Ottawa, ON

said by asif9t9:

Saturday morning, Velcom down again.

Here too. It says "authentication failed".

*sigh*

countaltec

join:2008-06-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to asif9t9

Same here.
I've had it!

asif9t9

Oakville, ON

So frustrating, and I keep saying they should have a Twitter channel to at least keep us updated during these outages.

asif9t9

Oakville, ON

great I just called technical service number and hit 4 and they hung up the phone.

Quake110
Premium
join:2003-12-20
Ottawa, ON

The Internet still doesn't work? In at work so I can't check it now.

asif9t9

Oakville, ON

12:32pm, internet is still down.

rewritable

join:2005-01-09
M2RXXX

Just came back up. Wonder what the hell happened to all the velcom employees who used to monitor these forums. I mean we have no way of getting updates from them and their tech support line has been suckin.. Are they telling me I should switch? If so, I think I should listen.

asif9t9

Oakville, ON

Hmm, still down here in Oakville.

minglewood

join:2011-03-21
Montreal, QC
reply to kagetora13

I am so glad I found this thread. I was just about to post my own.

I have just about had it with Velcom. These outages have become more common over the past few months. But really my main problem relies in their phone system.

Whenever I call support (typically during an outage), I am told that I am 6th in line and a 9 minute wait.. I wait on hold for 20 minutes, I become 4th in line for a 10 minutes wait... then I become 2nd in line with a 10 minute wait.... EVERYTIME, somewhere between 2nd in line and 1st in line they disconnect my call. I am so sick and tired of it. Basically, there is no way to connect to a Velcom support person to get an idea when the service will be back.

I was just about to switch to the new higher speed service available in Quebec with Velcom. Now since I have to sit at home from 9-5 one day waiting for a technician, this sounds like a good opportunity to just switch to someone else..

If Velcom is actually listening, what they should note is the following:
- You should send out email announcing the outtage and follow up with statuses.. I can read email on my blackberry even if the service is down.
-You should really correct the issue with the phone lines. Its horrible. I am tired of it. Why not put a message on the hold that says we are experiencing a wide scale issue?

One reason I want to switch to another provider even though some of these issues could be the same is that many of these ISP's make their management people or owners (like tek savvy) noticeable. I probably could email Rocky from Teksavvy to make my complaints noticed. I don't know if anyone at Velcom listens... I will not send a complaint to info@velcom.ca... Do I really believe that will end up in the right persons hands? This phone line tech support i awful when they have an issue and the communication appears non existent.

Tell Me

@videotron.ca
reply to asif9t9

So what's the story here?

Velcom is continuously going down without so much as a notice from them in any way shape or form?

When you call to find out why your service doesn't work, all they do is hang-up on all of you?

Has anyone Emailed them instead of calling?

No notice on their website of upgrades or anything that could affect service?

I mean, if this is the type of quality you want, and are getting for your money, then I guess you have it. Otherwise you would have left them, right?

asif9t9

Oakville, ON

1 edit

Not sure if you're being facetious, but I have stuck around for so long because I have an unlimited plan. Only 5mbps, so i'm probably ready to upgrade. But I tend to go over 400GB per month. But I have to make a decision on this soon. Seems to me even Velcom doesn't care, so what hope is there.