share rss forum feed

innoman
-
Premium
join:2002-05-07
Dallas, TX
kudos:1

How can they know?

I didn't think they could tell. This is really starting to get old. It's my data plan, I should be able to use it as I please. I think the most data I have used in the past year in a given month is 4GB, usually much less than 2GB most months.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA

they can read your packets and see what you are doing. it's pretty easy to tell what web browser you are using when you break apart http packets.

solution: secured vpn.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to innoman

said by innoman:

I didn't think they could tell.

I'm sure the phone reports you.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

flbas1

join:2010-02-03
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to innoman

background windows updates (for windows or windows-only programs)

browser packet sniffing - specifically looking at user agent string - maybe get Safari on your PC and change the string to claim it is an iPhone?

innoman
-
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to ArrayList

Well yeah, they could totally do that but it's going a bit far. I do have secure VPN setup but it's flaky, I need to do some work on it.

innoman
-
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to KrK

I don't think it works quite like that. But anything is possible. It is all going over the same APN.

innoman
-
Premium
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·VoicePulse
reply to flbas1

These are all things they could do but it requires packet inspection and that's diving a little too deep in my opinion, ISPs should not be allowed to do that without court order (in my opinion at least). Besides, a device is fully capable of running a browser which returns a UA string response of a different browser.

To be honest, I rarely tether and usually just when I am at an airport that doesn't have wifi-- I also don't get crazy with it, I probably transfer, at most 200-300MB in a given month, max, over tethered connection. Most months, I don't tether much, if any, at all. I do use the hell out of some spotify syncing playlists, etc...

flbas1

Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by innoman:

but it requires packet inspection and that's diving a little too deep in my opinion, ISPs should not be allowed to do that without court order

ISP's are doing packet inspection - court ordered or reasonable or not. They don't care - just sell the data and make more money. The average consumer doesn't understand how or why, and just accepts it. This is bad because your opinion (which I share) isn't generally accepted.

said by innoman:

a browser which returns a UA string response of a different browser

Again - Most people don't understand how or why.

said by innoman:

I rarely tether

(sarcasm)in the eyes of ATT, you sir are the reason the country is in disarray. You are the reason why national security is low ( »www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/07/jailbreak/ ). And you are the reason ATT needs to increase it's infrastructure ( »www.businessweek.com/magazine/co···4852.htm ) while only meeting street estimates ( »www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/techn···nes.html )
(/sarcasm)

I'm with you on this one too. If you are buying food from the grocery store, should you get different rates based on how you prepare it? I like the food analogy best because there are different ways to get food (large stores, small stores, etc) - and it spoils quickly - just like wireless data plans. Plan Data is only good for about 30 days, and then you have to buy a new bucket of GB's.

innoman
-
Premium
Dallas, TX

agreed!! on all counts.

I feel like there would be a case in court--if we were allowed to take it to court.

flbas1

Fort Lauderdale, FL

»consumerist.com/2011/04/att-mand···mer.html

but, i like the way these guys think:
»www.billingworld.com/news/2011/0···ion.aspx

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

I love AT&T response. It effectively states "Binding Arbitration is only for us to deny what the customer wants, it's NOT for the customer to deny what we want! Duh!"
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini