Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jstrick9

join:2011-03-11

Wiring a 66 block/Virtual PBX

Click for full size
Hello, all.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my questions.

We're moving into a new office, and we've made the decision that we would like to use Grasshopper for our phone system. Grasshopper is a virtual PBX system. Before I get to my setup, I am hoping someone could explain to me the basics of how virtual PBX's work, so I can have a better understanding.

My primary question relates to wiring. I've decided that I would like to make sure the wiring is fit for service myself. I am new to this, but it is something that I want to learn and do myself. Our office has 5 individual offices inside of it. Each office is connected on the left side to what I have labeled as 'Block 1' in my attached diagram. Block 1 is a non-split type 66 block, meaning, the rows are a complete bridge.

'Block 2' is another 66 block to the right side of 'Block 1'. Block 2 is a split block, meaning, column A & B are connected, and column C & D are connected. The 25 pair from the telephone company comes into the left side of 'Block 2'.

Please correct me where I am wrong. Is it my understanding that the telephone company will activate one pair of the 25 pair cable per line that I order. For example, the top-most pair on the 25 pair cable is Blue/Blue White. Hypothetically, should the telco activate that pair as my phone line, I would then need to make a connection on the right side of the same block, matching the line, and then bring it over to 'Block 1' to connect to my office connections, right? (Please let me know if I have this wrong)

Assuming that's how it is suppose to be done, my question then becomes this: Having only 1 phone line coming from 'Block 2', do I need to then daisy chain the line through all of the office connections so that all off the office phone jacks have a connection to that one line?

What If I had two phone lines, could I daisy chain that line along side my first line? Would this give all the offices access to both lines? Is this method necessary for a virtual PBX setup? Do I need more than 1 line for a virtual PBX system?

Big thanks for any and all help.

SterlingJ85

join:2000-11-19
Voorhees, NJ

Well, virtual PBX providers do not use regular phone wiring at all. It's all Internet based.

Grasshopper doesn't even use phones! They keep your auto-attendant in their data center, and depending on the configuration you make they just connect the caller to another external phone number (like a landline or a cell phone).

Hosted PBX providers like 8X8 (which I am an agent for) or RingCentral do the same thing, but they give you actual phones with extensions. They just plug into your Internet connection in your office and connect over the Internet to the providers data center.. no phone wiring at all.

Expand your moderator at work

Zen6

join:2011-06-04
Saratoga Springs, NY
reply to jstrick9

Re: Wiring a 66 block/Virtual PBX

Adding to what Sterling said, just make sure you have a solid internet connection. Some voip involves simply plugging the cat 5 into the phone, then out to the computer in each office.

Expand your moderator at work

eherr

join:2011-11-11
White Plains, NY
reply to jstrick9

Re: Wiring a 66 block/Virtual PBX

usually when someone hosts for you, they are keeping all phone features on their servers. they then plug in sip phones at your location, ie polycoms, and ring the desired phones based on the agree set up on their servers. however, some providers can provide dialtone lines to an old analog PBX which then would render your initial question valid again. what type of service is grasshopper providing?

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL
reply to jstrick9

For others reference: »grasshopper.com

I am not going to explain basic VoIP telephony but I do hope that someone with your organization understands what they are signing up for. I think Grasshopper themselves could explain in laymen terms how their VoIP telephony works compared to traditional telephony.

Helpful reading: »VoIP: Voice over IP