All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
nweaver
join:2010-01-13
Napa, CA

nweaver to birdfeedr

to birdfeedr

Re: Questions answered in this thread...

YES, changing DNS fixes this problem.

THIS particular tampering was based on changing DNS results from the recursive resolver, so using a third-party DNS (eg, Google Public DNS) fixes the problem.
rahvin112
join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT

rahvin112

According to the article the issue in this case is that the providers are using deep packet inspection to reroute search results on certain search providers to paid results. The only way to avoid this is encryption and only if they don't MITM (man in the middle) the SSL connection and have free access to your encrypted connections.

This is EXACTLY this issue that created the net-neutrality debate that so many people don't understand. The ISP has free reign over your connection and people don't even realize how badly they could interfere without your knowledge.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by rahvin112:

According to the article the issue in this case is that the providers are using deep packet inspection to reroute search results on certain search providers to paid results. The only way to avoid this is encryption and only if they don't MITM (man in the middle) the SSL connection and have free access to your encrypted connections.

This is EXACTLY this issue that created the net-neutrality debate that so many people don't understand. The ISP has free reign over your connection and people don't even realize how badly they could interfere without your knowledge.

That was also my intrepretation of the article, but since nweaver See Profile is supposed to know exactly what is being tested and/or intercepted, perhaps the article is in error?
rahvin112
join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT

rahvin112

Ah, I see that now. I'm curious, if it's deep packet inspection how does changing DNS server avoid it? Unless the appliance in question only responds to DNS requests that is, but then I don't see how it could alter search results because a DNS request isn't going to include search form submissions unless the providers network is broken.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by rahvin112:

Ah, I see that now. I'm curious, if it's deep packet inspection how does changing DNS server avoid it? Unless the appliance in question only responds to DNS requests that is, but then I don't see how it could alter search results because a DNS request isn't going to include search form submissions unless the providers network is broken.

As the article mentions, that's where specific "keywords" and URLs come into play.

nweaver See Profile, please correct me if I am wrong, but I would think if the Paxfire appliance or software knows you are sending a DNS request to Google, they simply return an IP they own, pointing to a web server they control, read your form submission, then alter the traffic as they see fit ... exactly like OpenDNS currently does for all Google searches?
nweaver
join:2010-01-13
Napa, CA

nweaver

Correct: The paxfire appliance sits in front of the DNS resolver. It returns an address in place of NXDOMAINs (the stated function), and also returns the address of their proxy in place of any request for yahoo, bing, or (formerly, sometimes) Google, in order to route the search engine traffic through the proxy.

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to nweaver

MVM

to nweaver
said by nweaver:

YES, changing DNS fixes this problem.

THIS particular tampering was based on changing DNS results from the recursive resolver, so using a third-party DNS (eg, Google Public DNS) fixes the problem.

And once people start doing this, more ISPs (there are already many doing it how I describe over in Europe) will begin using transparent proxies (read: they don't look for DNS traffic, they transparently monitor your HTTP packets and obtain your search queries and results via that) to achieve the same thing. For example, Sandvine equipment is quite capable of doing this.

Folks can dance around the problem all they want -- go ahead, use different DNS servers. Use private VPNs that act as IP routing proxies, drive yourself batshit crazy getting it all to work. Use HTTPS everywhere and wonder why the web suddenly becomes a complete piece of junk performance-wise (read: you cannot cache HTTPS content). There are drawbacks to everything.

I'll stick with just browsing the web how I always have. If people want to see my search queries for Intel MCA/MCE architecture, working drafts for T13 ATA specifications, and other technical things, awesome. Let 'em. Couldn't care less. I don't feel my privacy is being "invaded" since if the ISP wasn't doing this, the search engine company could be. Paranoia has no bounds/ends, so I choose not to become paranoid.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

rchandra to nweaver

Premium Member

to nweaver
It may work to change DNS server settings in the specific cases of the stated ISPs who got these Paxfire boxen. But I don't think it would help in the general case.