how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bennor
Premium
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT

New charges on phone bill - possible to drop phone keep DSL?

I noticed that my latest AT&T bill had several new charges on them. The new charges were:
Charge to meet monthly minimum - $2
Carrier Cost Recovery Fee - $1.90
Universal Service Fund - Interstate (14.4%) - $0.43

Anyone else in CT (or elsewhere) now getting hit with these new charges? I now have two charges for USF on my bill, one local and one interstate.

And is it possible to drop the phone service but keep DSL? I'm doing a cursory look on the AT&T website and while they mention getting new DSL service without phone I have yet to find if one can drop their existing phone service but keep DSL. It appears they still charge a higher cost for DSL if you don't get their phone service.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

I call the extra charge an "unbundling fee". Telco and cable offer certain bundling discounts (two or more concurrent services, and get a discounted price on one, or both of the services). DSL only (which AT&T calls, "AT&T Direct"; not to be confused with the DSLR forum of the same name) is normally $10 in addition to the price of the DSL service.

I don't know how to request a switch from "lineshared" DSL to "AT&T Direct" DSL.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Jojoe

@sbcglobal.net
reply to bennor

New charges on my phone bill:
Line Backup $8.00
Long distance, minimum $4.00

No explaination given, and I don't have long distance account with ATT. And ATT wonders why people are droppind landlines

bennor
Premium
New Haven, CT

Give AT&T a call and question the charges. I just did as I forgot to when I created this thread (oops).

It turns out that AT&T is now tacking on the following charges: "Charge to meet monthly minimum", "Carrier Cost Recovery Fee", and "Universal Service Fund - Interstate" when one doesn't have a phone "calling plan". I had AT&T Long Distance East as my LD provider. I was told that that AT&T Long Distance East service is not a "calling plan" so they added the new charges.

After talking with customer service (CS) who said that if I went with the "AT&T One Rate Nationwide Direct Plan" the new charges on my bill would go away, and my bill price would drop back to the previous month's price. The One Rate plan apparently does not have a per month charge (unless you make long distance calls) or calling minutes because the plan charges $.41 cents for any long distance calls made either instate or out of state. However, once a LD call is made. the "Carrier Cost Recovery Fee", and "Universal Service Fund - Interstate" are then charged.

The CS person said that one can drop their current phone service if they currently have DSL, and go with 'naked' (not what the CS woman called it ) DSL. However, apparently if your grandfathered in with an older DSL plan's pricing (like I am), you are forced to sign up for the new DSL pricing plan which are more expensive than my current DSL Pro plan, she said the DSL Pro without phone runs around $43.

Kommie
Premium
join:2003-05-13
united state
kudos:3
reply to bennor

Comcast has an Economy Internet Service 1.5/384 for 26 bucks.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA

When bundled with at least one other Comcast service. More like $39.95 for Economy Internet only.
--
Norman

bennor
Premium
New Haven, CT

The Comcast "Local with More" phone service is $24.95 when combined with the Comcast "Economy Internet Service" which is $26.95 comes to $51.90 (which may not include any additional taxes and fees), while approximately $3 less than my current AT&T phone + DSL Pro service, I would loose half the internet download speed if I went with Comcast.

Right now after price comparing AT&T with Comcast, AT&T is currently the most economical priced service for the phone/internet usage that I currently use.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by bennor:

Right now after price comparing AT&T with Comcast, AT&T is currently the most economical priced service for the phone/internet usage that I currently use.

I am fortunate enough to live in a region served by a company called, Sonic.net, LLC. Total price for long distance, and local telephone plus Internet is only $39.95 plus ~$10 in taxes and fee; the same taxes and fees collected by AT&T.
--
Norman
Expand your moderator at work

Sky King

join:2001-07-02
Naugatuck, CT
reply to bennor

Re: New charges on phone bill - possible to drop phone keep DSL?

I dropped ATT's Land Line service and went with Stand Alone DSL with a start-up rate of 14.95 for the first yr. I now use Straight Talk for around 45.00 per month and I get unlimited everything. No additional fees etc. They now have a nice selection of phones but I got the free one for now. Why have a land line when I can just use my cell for all calls?

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

said by Sky King:

Why have a land line when I can just use my cell for all calls?

Better sound quality, rock solid reliability (in most cases), works in natural disasters/power outages as long as lines aren't knocked out.

sag

@108.223.57.x
reply to bennor

I have DSL only. ATT rates went up ,so got rid of home phone. att had to put a DSL line on outside of house instead of phone line. wasn't charged for it. I also live in CT. (I use MagicJack plus for a phone. but it's not working well I can't hear people when they call me. I ported my old number, you have to do it before you end home phone service, but when you do it, it ends your home phone service.)