spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

livecam

@rr.com

[TWC] Roadrunner says no privately owned modems

I looked into two upgrades today, one to 20/2 and the other to 50/5 service. Both require a Docsis 3.0 modem and Time Warner says it has to be theirs. They also pitched free wifi as part of the upgrade but I already have wifi and am very happy with my own equipment. Why can't I just buy a Docsis 3.0 modem and have it provisioned remotely? For the 50/5 service they require a technician visit at $49.95 and thats just ridiculous.

ChillyCat6

join:2004-09-07
Chesterland, OH
kudos:1

This situation's been discussed here......many times.

It's probably not right , but TW'ers made the call.

I guess since they don't charge a rental for the modem,
and defects are an easy swap out....prolly best to just
go along with the program [as if we have another choice]

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10

Correct, there have been many threads on the subject. The idea is to keep things standard and keep the makes and models to a minimum. Makes it far easier to support.

Hob

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by hobgoblin:

Correct, there have been many threads on the subject. The idea is to keep things standard and keep the makes and models to a minimum. Makes it far easier to support.

Hob

Docsis 3.0 is a standard all in it self.

There for brand A *HAS* to be compatible with brand B or C etc...

I think it comes down to poorly written firmware/software

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

1 edit

said by Anonymous_:

said by hobgoblin:

Hob

Docsis 3.0 is a standard all in it self.

There for brand A *HAS* to be compatible with brand B or C etc...

I think it comes down to poorly written firmware/software

DOCSIS 3 is a standard that is still evolving, it's not done yet. There are things being added or changed in it recently that weren't there 2 years ago.

So what is compatible 2 years ago, may not be compatible now. (See the retail Moto 6120 with older firmware for example.) What is compatible now, may not be compatible in 2 years. Both modems and CMTSs need to be repeatedly tested as time passes and kept up to date.

Think of BluRay, it's a standard too. A BD player bought and never updated from 2 years ago may not play a BD disk just released. Even if the firmware/software was great when released, the player has to be updated.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

drewTT

join:2011-05-24
Placentia, CA
reply to livecam

It's not so bad if they get you the Motorola SBG6850 gateway. It's actualy a pretty nice unit. You can put it into bridge mode really easy and just use your current wireless router. I previously had the SB6120 and the blue blinking light can get pretty annoying in a dimly lit room. No such issue with the SBG6580.

Also, TWC is able to waive the $49 "networking fee". You just got to ask and having your account on auto pay helps.

asterger

join:2004-11-26
Raleigh, NC

How is the $49 fee charged, one-time or recurring?

-- Asterger

drewTT

join:2011-05-24
Placentia, CA

It's a one time fee.

thomasr

join:2010-01-21
Winston Salem, NC

1 edit
reply to livecam

I pulled this from a newer thread ( »[TWC] Modem keep reboot it self help ! ), so I figured I would ask the question in this thread where it is more suited...

said by kanti1237:

Anyways, first I had regular standard cable modem with TWC. Then my internet keep going out, modem restarting it self. So i went ahead and exchange the modem, but the problem still persist. Then i went a head and upgrade to extreme and the problem still didn't go away. I called up TWC they have sent out 3 tech so far, problem still didn't fix. So i went and bought my own DOCSIS 3.0 Modem. got that working with Tier3 guy, the problem still persist >

The English is pretty broken, but I could not help but notice the claim made here by the OP in the other thread...

Can any of you TW employees explain how this customer was able to buy their own D3 modem and have it provisioned with Extreme? This very topic has been discussed as not being an option with Extreme or Wideband. Is the Goldsboro TW market doing something different from the rest of TW markets?

pizz
bye bye twc. hello Comcast.
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

certain markets allow for customer bought modems, while others dont allow it.

personally at this point, i'd just get the TWC Branded modem and call it a day
--
Fantasy football is Dungeons & Dragons for the guys who beat up kids that played D&D.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
reply to ChillyCat6

said by ChillyCat6:

It's probably not right , but TW'ers made the call.

True. We can always choose another ISP if we're dissatisfied enough. Still...IMO it's a fairly good choice, as reducing variables theoretically reduces cost of providing the service.

said by ChillyCat6:

I guess since they don't charge a rental for the modem,
and defects are an easy swap out....prolly best to just
go along with the program [as if we have another choice]

Wellllll....that's kinda like saying, for example, Broadvoice has a free in-state calling plan. The calls aren't free; it's just a way of saying "is/are included in your monthly service fee." Likewise, if you happen to be grandfathered in, the WNY bills will reflect a $3 credit for "Customer Owned Modem Discount." If not grandfathered, I imagine it's simply not a separate line item like it used to be. So at least in my area, there's a modem rental fee "baked into" the Roadrunner monthly fee.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10

1 edit

If you had the job of trying to contact people who have their own modem and asking them to either buy another one or accept a TWC one as their modem is now non compliant you would applaud a decision to not allow any more customer owned.

Hob

ChillyCat6

join:2004-09-07
Chesterland, OH
reply to rchandra

said by rchandra:

there's a modem rental fee "baked into" the Roadrunner monthly fee.

Absolutly there is. No argument from me on that one.

Personally , I've picked my battles. Just dosn't seem rational
to get all bent, over a policy that's wielding less charge than
the tax applied to each bill. From a features and benifits
perspective.....my TW bill's at least competitive with other major
markets.
Expand your moderator at work