spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FPR

join:2011-08-06

Time Warner Ubee Modem Problems!

OK, had TWC come out and install Roadrunner Extreme with a Ubee modem/wireless router on Tuesday. Since then one of two things keep happening. Either, the router stops broadcasting any SSID, in which case I have to pull the power from the router and plug it back in to reset. But in most cases, the router keeps reverting back to its factory default settings. The SSID being broadcast keeps getting switched back to "DDW3611CC". I have to hard wire to the modem and sign-on and edit the modem setting to change the network name and password back to what they are supposed to be. It happens at least once a day! TWC has sent a tech out 4 times. They have swapped everything including replacing the cable to the pole, and say the signals are fine. Still keeps happening. They don't have a clue! Anyone have a suggestion?

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

The modem/router combination should not be losing its settings, even if you power it down. When you say they've swapped out everything, does that include the device? It sure sounds like a defective modem/router.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1

said by No_Strings:

It sure sounds like a defective modem/router.

or other people in the house that hold down the reset button.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

FPR

reply to No_Strings

They have swapped out the Ubee modem/router twice. They replaced the junction box where the line connects to the house. This last visit, they replaced the wire going from the junction box to the pole. The coax cable goes directly from the junction box, through the wall, into the modem. There is no splitter or other re-routing of the connection. BTW, Just came home from dinner, and it's out again. This time, the POWER and the Wlan lights are lit on the router, and the DS light is flashing. No other lights. Broadcasting the right network name, but can't connect. Had to power off the router and power it back on before I could reconnect.

FPR

reply to LLigetfa

Nope, just my wife and I.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
reply to FPR

I think you've done all you can to eliminate the hardware. Remote possibility is a power problem. More likely is a TWC issue.

I'm going to move your thread from Wireless to the T/W forum in the hope that someone there has some insight.

Good luck.

TWCdude

join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX
kudos:23

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to FPR

Call your local office an have them add the wireless codes for the ubee modem to your account. Without the codes the wireless will just disable it self everytime

freakout9903
Premium
join:2001-04-19
Gastonia, NC
Reviews:
·NetTalk
reply to FPR

Put the Ubee modem into bridge mode to use it as only a modem, and buy or use a linksys/cisco router im sure you have laying around. I had too many problems to count with the Ubee modem they supplied for my extreme install, even had the modem swapped out. Once I setup my own router and used the Ubee only as a modem every problem disappeared AND my speeds were as advertised and my ping improved.
--
Join Team Discovery In The Fight Against Cancer

mlefebvre

@rr.com

I have had similar problems, but eventually got the UBEE wireless working pretty reliably. However one of my two computers hardwired to the UBEE router ports has an inexplicable delay in every internet access. If I run TW speedtest, I get great speeds, but a long latency to start the ping test, then the upload test, etc. Same thing happens on every website request from any browser, IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc. Flushing browser caches made no difference, nor did using OpenDNS. If I put the UBEE in modem only (bridge mode) and hook up my old linksys router, the delay disappears. The only reason I am bothering is because I want to use the linksys as an extender of the UBEE wireless to get better coverage in my house. Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing the latency on one hardwired computer (other than, of course, the UBEE is a piece of crap).

TWCdude

join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX
kudos:23

disable the firewall on the router and the ip flood detect

mlefebvre

@rr.com

Thanks for the help. Disabling ip flood detect eliminated the delay on the one problematic hardwired computer. Do you think there is any problem in keeping the firewall enabled?

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

reply to TWCdude

said by TWCdude:

Call your local office an have them add the wireless codes for the ubee modem to your account. Without the codes the wireless will just disable it self everytime

Do this. It will fix your problem. I went down exactly the same path.

Ncguy

join:2011-07-12
Greensboro, NC
reply to TWCdude

said by TWCdude:

disable the firewall on the router and the ip flood detect

I was having a similar problem with the UBEE. Speed tests were fine but every connected device took forever to establish stable connections to the router and the internet after a reboot. After they got stable they would keep on working until the next reboot.

So I took your advice, disabled the firewall and the IP flood detect and so far that seems to have nailed it. What does the firewall do on this router? I'm assuming its more than the standard router proxy function and do I need it? Am I as protected as my old linksys router with it turned off?

Ncguy

Greensboro, NC

I guess while I'm here I'll mention another very strange problem I had after the UBEE was installed. I appeared to be having DNS issues with certain sites being not found but to my knowledge the DNS servers in the router were the same TW servers as before the new UBEE. This site (dslreports) was one that seemed to be blocked. I noticed that you couldnt change the DNS servers in the UBEE so I changed it on the pc to the google DNS servers and the problem went away.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Beachie
Stranded in paradise

join:2001-07-12
St. Pete, FL
kudos:2

There was a short-lived issue with DSLR yesterday that occured probably about that same time you posted you couldn't reach this site.
--
2012 Republican National Convention in Tampa: Where Hypocrisy Meets Humidity

Ncguy

Greensboro, NC

said by Beachie:

There was a short-lived issue with DSLR yesterday that occured probably about that same time you posted you couldn't reach this site.

Wow. That must have been quite a coincidence but I think you're right. I just tried it on another pc that still had the TW DNS and I could access the site. Thanks for that!

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5

I have never seen a post on DSLR claiming something was "blocked" by their ISP, that turned out to be something actually being blocked. I'm sure there are a couple, but the vast, vast majority are due to other issues.

ChillyCat6

join:2004-09-07
Chesterland, OH
kudos:1

said by MyDogHsFleas:

but the vast, vast majority are due to other issues.

ABSOLUTLY correct.

ubee_junk

join:2011-09-15
reply to TWCdude

TWCdude - how do i change the ubee to simply a bridge w/o the router??? Please help

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

said by ubee_junk:

TWCdude - how do i change the ubee to simply a bridge w/o the router??? Please help

There is a thread here in the RR forum that will tell you how to do it but here is the hidden link.

»192.168.100.1/TlModeChange.asp

Only switch between NAT and bridge modes do not touch the other ones. You may or may not have to power cycle the modem and your router after you change the mode though.

ubee_junk

join:2011-09-15
reply to FPR

FPR I was having the same problem...today I finally was able to open the Ubee ip address and using the last 8 digits of the Ubee Mac address (case sensitive) and the password of : c0nf1gur3m3 I was able to access the advance settings and change the modem/router to only a "bridge" - allowing me to use my existing "N" router. Hope this works for you..

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX

You didnt need the master login to obtain that link. Its in a thread on the forum here plus I mentioned it to ya once today.

»Ubee DDW3611 Bridge Mode??

simpleweb

join:2011-09-22
Schenectady, NY
reply to FPR

i have the same problem like the OP and many other. My question is if i put the ubee router to bridge mod that mean i only use regular connection?

i am using ubee because i am currently using the extreme version right now..

any comment on this?

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX

Bridge mode essentially turns it in to a modem only and disables the router function.