spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

QMLM

@suddenlink.net

Looking for Reliable and fast ISP for West Houston(Gamer)

I'm a recent college graduate moving into the Westchase District in Western houston. I've never really had to deal with shopping around for ISPs since I've either had little choice (small town) or lived with parents.

I'm Looking for a fast and reliable ISP that can handle Online gaming and movie/show streaming (netflix/hulu) with unlimited cap.

At my current living situation in another city, I'm with Suddenlink and I have no download cap, and speedtest.net shows 10MBps download speed and 1MBps upload. We pay $25 for this plan. I have no problems with there service, but know that internet reliability changes based on the area.

One concern I have is with Throttling and/or Shared Bandwidth during prime-time usage, which is when a lot of my online gaming will occur.

Anyone have any suggestions, or know where I might find information on ISPs servicing my area?

-QM

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

Well the two big company's Comcast (250 GB Per month cap but unlimited on a business line)and AT&T has a cap system depending on level of service. I'm unaware of any service that will have unlimited in Houston but I'm sure someone will chime in with some more info.
--
Team Discovery-Join the fight

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to QMLM

My parents live in that area and the only options are At&t DSL, At&t U-Verse, and Comcast. Some apartment complexes have different cable companies such as TV Max or Phonoscope, but those aren't much different. That said, my parents have had Uverse, Comcast, and DSL, and the one they have had the most problems with was Comcast.

QMLM

@suddenlink.net
reply to MysticGogeta

250GB would probably work. I know between me and my roommate we use about 240-260GB per month.

I havent heard many good things about comcast though, and I'm hesitant to do DSL over cable.

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
Katy, TX

Depends every area is different but I've had zero issues for about 2 years now but that's after going to hell and back with TWC who traded areas with Comcast. They have boosted my Blast! to 25/4 recently with the DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades that are going on around Houston area and I'm pretty satisfied with gaming on it and haven't really had any issues with it. Everyone's bandwidth is shared at some point so its really a moot issue and I haven't really noticed any throttling on my torrents.

This is with power boost keep in mind but I haven't ever really had any speed issues with Comcast

--

QMLM

@suddenlink.net

I was thinking about getting the Mover's Edge performance plan at 15/4, and its on special for new comcast customers for $30 a month for 6months. How do i find out the Cap for this plan, can't see anything about caps on the details and restrictions

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to QMLM

Unfortunately you're not going to get any good help here. Because you are going to find people who say AT&T sucks and you will find people who say Comcast sucks. Personally I like Comcast. I've had a couple minor issue but they were resolved quickly. The one major drawback is the price. $60.00/month for basic internet is a bit steep IMO.
Just did this test on my laptop over wifi. If I do it on my desktop upstairs that's cabled to the router I get about 1/3 more.

--
sthhjkjhyfdfhuyjhhyjgrfffgfhgjuhyk sorry there was a spider on the keyboard. i think i got it

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
Katy, TX
reply to QMLM

With Comcast its 250 GB across the board but it might be in the fine print or something. When you have an account you can log into the Comcast.com site and click on my account and then the user&settings tab and they have a monitor that sometimes isn't very accurate I have to admit.
--

curro

join:2003-10-24
Seabrook, TX
reply to MysticGogeta

said by MysticGogeta:

Depends every area is different but I've had zero issues for about 2 years now but that's after going to hell and back with TWC who traded areas with Comcast. They have boosted my Blast! to 25/4 recently with the DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades that are going on around Houston area and I'm pretty satisfied with gaming on it and haven't really had any issues with it. Everyone's bandwidth is shared at some point so its really a moot issue and I haven't really noticed any throttling on my torrents.

This is with power boost keep in mind but I haven't ever really had any speed issues with Comcast

How much you pay a month if I may ask.

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
Katy, TX

I pay 67.00 a month plus taxes for Blast! because I don't have any other services with Comcast.
--

curro

Seabrook, TX

said by MysticGogeta:

I pay 67.00 a month plus taxes for Blast! because I don't have any other services with Comcast.

Thanks for the response. Have you tried to get any promos or bargain the price down. It seems a little bit steep for the speed package (unless you using it for business and generating profits I guess).

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
Katy, TX

I have gotten a 29.99 before but they haven't let me back on it since I got it. I just deal with it I use it fairly well and I enjoy the speed.
--

curro

Seabrook, TX

said by MysticGogeta:

I have gotten a 29.99 before but they haven't let me back on it since I got it. I just deal with it I use it fairly well and I enjoy the speed.

Understood. Thanks.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to QMLM

said by QMLM :

I was thinking about getting the Mover's Edge performance plan at 15/4, and its on special for new comcast customers for $30 a month for 6months. How do i find out the Cap for this plan, can't see anything about caps on the details and restrictions

Still reading the thread so someone might have already said.

Comcast is a 250GB cap on all resi plans (its a soft cap, no overages, so the policy is that you have to get 2 calls within a set time frame ie a warning and a your cut for a year call)

so if you go a little over its unlikely you'll hear a peep but its possible legaly, then there are some who go way over and still don't hear anything

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Oh and BTW I've gone through when it was (in my area) TCI cable, then warner, then time warner, and finnaly comcast.

of them all Comcast has been the best though just based on principle I moved to comcast bisness class when I head the caps were coming.

Though on looking at my data usage via my SNMP bandwidth monitor I've used less than 700GB since feb so thats less than 100GB a month.

curro

Seabrook, TX
reply to QMLM

said by QMLM :

Just curious if I may ask. Does this promo require a TV plan (and/or bundle) and do I need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem to enable it?

Thanks in advance for your response.