spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pabster
join:2001-12-09
Waterloo, IA

pabster to codyyy

to codyyy

Re: [Embarq] post your centurylink speedtest results!

7168/832 line sync

siddarth
join:2011-12-23
Smithfield, NC

siddarth to StuartMW

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by toby:

12 Mbps should equal 12 Mbps.

No it shouldn't. They provide a raw line speed (bps). Take off the TCP/IP overhead etc and you get less.

"Due to overhead and signaling it is not possible to download end-user data at actual advertised speeds. Depending on the type of service and whether you are served from a remote DSLAM or not you will have a minimum of roughly 12.5% overhead."

It's the same thing with hard drive sizes. First off they're always advertised in raw decimal MB/GB etc not computer MB/GB (i.e. a power of 2). Then when you format the drive you lose some due to overhead.

In my case the modem syncs at 12,122 so I should get around

12122 x (1 - 0.125) = 10,607

which I am.

That's great and I appreciate the clarification. So those of us that are only getting 10 to 20% of what was advertised are screwed? Mainly because of distance from the source?

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by siddarth:

So those of us that are only getting 10 to 20% of what was advertised are screwed?

It' called Marketing or as I call it "creative lying".

As I explained your line speed is what they claim (what your modem
syncs at). It has nothing to do with "distance from the source".

PS: I'm not trying to excuse CenturyLink for abnormally slow speeds as many in this thread are experiencing. If you're getting less than about 12.5% of your rating there's a problem. That said you can't judge that from one speed test site.

PPS: I used to have the 7Mbps package and could not get more than 1.5Mbps for many months. Presumably CenturyLink fixed the issue in my area.
siddarth
join:2011-12-23
Smithfield, NC

siddarth

said by StuartMW:

said by siddarth:

So those of us that are only getting 10 to 20% of what was advertised are screwed?

It' called Marketing or as I call it "creative lying".

As I explained your line speed is what they claim (what your modem
syncs at). It has nothing to do with "distance from the source".

PS: I'm not trying to excuse CenturyLink for abnormally slow speeds as many in this thread are experiencing. If you're getting less than about 12.5% of your rating there's a problem. That said you can't judge that from one speed test site.

PPS: I used to have the 7Mbps package and could not get more than 1.5Mbps for many months. Presumably CenturyLink fixed the issue in my area.

We signed up for their 10mbps package. Of course it says up to 10 but tests are showing anywhere from 0.74 to 1.4 mbps. I'll probably give them a call Tuesday and discuss the issue.
PeacefulMagg
join:2005-02-07
Boise, ID

PeacefulMagg to codyyy

to codyyy

a01010101010
join:2011-12-02
Perry, KS

a01010101010 to codyyy

to codyyy

Living in the middle of no place in a town with no stop lights and a population of 900 people!!

25mb Bonded!! Yea baby!!
istan
join:2012-03-13
Corvallis, OR

istan to codyyy

to codyyy
I also ran the speedtest test.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 3538.png

the result is above. My connect was rated F ever though the performance was much better than the previous post
Technicholas
Premium Member
join:2010-11-11
West Des Moines, IA

Technicholas to pabster

Premium Member

to pabster
12/896

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 2558.png
kiknwing
join:2010-12-13
Ogden, UT