share rss forum feed

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria
kudos:4

OT - Punk ish Music From the Past

Saw this in game, and wanted to discuss, so made a new thread.

I grew up on old school punk crap during the 80s and 90s. I got into a little bit of the trendy straight edge hardcore scene late 90s, then jumped all over a bunch of ska. I really got into the Supersuckers in the 00s, which pulled me back into my origins of southern rock and country. But this thread's about the former, so I'll start there.

The first bands I was introduced to were the Dead Kennedies, Minor Threat, Bad Religion, the Descendants, and Green Day (Kerplunk and 1039). Then I fell into a love of NOFX, Pennywise, 7 Seconds, the Queers, Fugazi, and the Dead Milkmen. Nothing super hardcore or anything. SLC Punk was pretty much a retelling of my introduction to the music scene, except I was a little younger and the scene was my hometown and not SLC.

The Hardcore stuff during my forays into sXe were again Minor Threat, Youth of Today, H2O, Earth Crisis, Path of Resistance, and Four Walls Falling. When I jumped off that train, I got back into NOFX, and started listening to 1st generation ska, like the Skatalites and Prince Buster. Started listening to Mephiskapheles (sp), Buck O Nine, King Jango, the Slackers, the Pietasters, etc... Lots of upbeat shit. Then I dropped off the music scene due to less and less new music, settled in with Me First and the Gimme Gimme's (Thanks Fat Mike), and the Supersuckers. Now it's a mix of my old school stuff plus country, but that's cool, as I'm awesome.

Anyone else have similar tastes?
--
Play DSLr Mafia: »Pub Games

Antonica
Premium
join:2002-09-02

Out of all of that the only groups that I have ever heard of... are Green Day and Bad Religion. That's it :P You old folk you...
--
»Re: [game] Star Wars Days 2 and 3

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY
reply to Kristopher

said by Kristopher:

Saw this in game, and wanted to discuss, so made a new thread.

Oh, yes very much.

In 8th grade we did not have a science fair, instead we could pick a cultural fair and I did my presentation on "Punk in the 70s and 80's" Started out with Dead Kennedies and Sex Pistons, Ramones, Velvet Underground and such.

Also I am a huge Generation X fan and also Agent Orange.

Still funnest shows have been NOFX.

oh and (3Ms) Ministry, Melvins, and Misfits.
--
This is not the greatest post in the world, no, this is just a tribute!

-

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
Saratoga, NY
reply to Kristopher

I cant wear my Bad Religion shirt in public though because it is a giant cross with a red line through it and I don't want to get shot.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to chlen

How could I leave out the Misfits. I have spent more on their music in the different formats throughout the years than any other band. 20 Eyes is one of my favorite songs.

We used to go to shows at a run down dirty ass all age club called Decibles. It was behind a Super Shoes. I loved it. Then I started going to shows at the Trocadero and Chameleon Club. I've seen the Pietasters and King Jango live, as well as the Toasters. Most punk shows were local bands, especially a friend's called the Dead 50s. That was around drinking age. Even before that we'd have little shows wherever we could, from firehalls to Decibles. I remember some good ones behind Funtastik Skate Shop while a small contest was going on.
--

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to chlen

said by chlen:

I cant wear my Bad Religion shirt in public though because it is a giant cross with a red line through it and I don't want to get shot.

Boo. That's the traditional logo.
--

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
Saratoga, NY

said by Kristopher:

said by chlen:

I dont want my ass kicked, by people who dont get it, I value my ass very much.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to chlen

I know that feeling. I have a Misfits t-shirt that has
"1977-1997
20 years of
TERROR"
written on the back. A lot of people would ask me questions about what kind of terror it is due to all these "wars on terror" to the point that I got too annoyed to wear it. I also wore a Bad Religion shirt, which I find to be fine in the late 90s, early 00's, but I definitely wouldn't want to wear it now. I still have a couple of metal shirts I wear that people give me looks, but don't bother me. Mainly it's Iced Earth's "Tribute to the Gods", which has a cross in a way that some people might not like (using monster's faces), and Dio's Holy Diver that just has a big bad Devil on the wront and some nice wording on the back "No one sees an Angel till it smashes to the ground, and then you run somewhere and leave it lying there."

As for the music, I was first introduced to punk with AFI (before they went mainsteam), which I loved and quickly picked up the rest of the bands. From memory, it's NOFX, Dead Kennedys, Bad Religion, Pennywise, H2O, Guttermouth, Unwritten Law, Rancid, Anti-Flag... And a lot more that I can't remember.

As stated in that game thread, I slowly moved on to metal after my high school years as I needed something more edgy. It was mostly black metal and power metal (which I've been enjoying up until 3-4 years ago, after which I just stopped with music in general) I started going through my metal albums a few months ago and then found an old CD I burned full of punk songs. So I put that in and remembered how much I loved it, so I went searching through another older binder that had all my punk albums a few weeks ago.

Like I told Kris, I think I stopped with the music and moved away because I can't stand the new music scenes. I find most of them too recycled and most songs don't even contain more than 10 different words. Only newer albums I found myself enjoying are all from the guys who were around in the 80s and 90s. Which I find to be sad as I was only born in mid 80s and this new stuff is supposed to be my generation heh. There's some good new bands, but they're very few, and mostly very hard to find or hear about, even in the day of Internet.

That, or I'm just getting old and bitter in my 20s

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
Saratoga, NY

said by ekster:

That, or I'm just getting old and bitter in my 20s

It is ok, I'm still pissed off I never got to be Kurt Cobain... I played out a lot spend most of my late teens until my late twenties on tour.

I'm all out of angst now
--

-

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
Saratoga, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Kristopher

Also I miss straight up gangster rap. None of this flashy bullshit, but like NWA, Public Enemy, Pac, Easy E, Biggie, ODB, Tribe, Mobb Deep (a favorite) and stuff like that...

everything today is pop glamour and autotune. I want a beat and some good rhymes.

most of all... I miss Rage, Nirvana and Sublime... (and SRV)
--

-

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

Not to derail too much, but one thing that makes me bitter the most is part of metal... I used to check Dio's tour dates on a monthly basis because he was the one guy I -really- wanted to see live, but kept waiting till he comes to Montreal, and then, one day, randomly, I get a message that he passed away. :/

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
Reviews:
·ooma

1 recommendation

reply to Kristopher

Punk/ska was the soundtrack to my teenage years. The Mr. T Experience covered my sad pathetic non-existent love life of my teenage years. The Queers/Op Ivy/MxPx/Dead Kennedies/Fugazzi/The Nobodys were for hanging out. Pennywise was the old standby for the angsty days. Towards the end of the 90s I started getting into ska more. Mostly recent (then) stuff. Aquabats, homegrown, bosstones, supertones and such.

Then, in a message board post on the supertones site someone linked to Project 86. And thus my tastes went from trumpets and clean guitars down a road to getting my face melted off by P86, Zao, Norma Jean, Living Sacrifice, etc.
--
Blogsaus "Everyone bows to something. Everyone answers to someone. Wherever your treasure lies, there your heart will be also.

Who do you belong to? " - Andrew Schwab

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to chlen

said by chlen:

said by Kristopher:

said by chlen:

I dont want my ass kicked, by people who dont get it, I value my ass very much.

What do you think about the music of today? I was discussing with ekster, and I feel that there is less orignial music by a long shot. I could just be out of touch, though. My oldest daughter's favorite band is the Wonder Years, who aren't all that bad. There's some new ska that's OK, and a lot of that guy girl duet stuff that sounds all hipster-ish, which I do not like.

I did also listent to a little rap back in the day too. Tribe Called Quest, Wu-Tang, Beastie Boys, etc.... Nothing out today even comes close to matching that stuff.
--

Antonica
Premium
join:2002-09-02

said by Kristopher:

What do you think about the music of today? I was discussing with ekster, and I feel that there is less orignial music by a long shot. I'm just getting too old though. My oldest daughter's favorite band is the Wonder Years, who aren't all that bad. There's some new ska that's OK, and a lot of that guy girl duet stuff that sounds all hipster-ish, which I do not like.

I did also listent to a little rap back in the day too. Tribe Called Quest, Wu-Tang, Beastie Boys, etc.... Nothing out today even comes close to matching that stuff.

Fixed
--
»Re: [game] Star Wars Days 2 and 3

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

I am old. My joints are starting to ache. You kids need to turn down your music.
--

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
Bellevue, NE
Reviews:
·ooma

1 recommendation

said by Kristopher:

I am old. My joints are starting to ache.

March of 2010 or so I went to a Project 86/Flatfoot 56 concert. I'm not *that old* so I didn't feel out of element in the crowd/pit. Then came the wall of death. Everyone crowds up against opposing walls and then runs at the opposite side like braveheart without swords. I made it through unscathed the first time, but coming back the kid in front of me falls and I trip over him, landing on my knee cap. Nothing broke, but I limped for a few weeks and now I have to pop my knee every 20 minutes or so. My wife hates it and has officially declared me too old for the pit.
--
Blogsaus "Everyone bows to something. Everyone answers to someone. Wherever your treasure lies, there your heart will be also.

Who do you belong to? " - Andrew Schwab

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Kristopher

said by Kristopher:

What do you think about the music of today?

I think chlen did sum up exactly what I think (minus the pop part):
Everything is just glamour and auto-tune. With a lot of glitter, the same 3 or 4 chords recycled, and a song with a maximum of 10 different words.

I also can't stand kids my age!

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

1 recommendation

reply to ProtusMose

I've been too old for the pit for some time now. A few months ago I was at a get together, and there was a keg. The oldies were having fun doing keg stands for the first time in years. I laughed it up and took video, but refused to take part. Then I noticed the old skateboard in the corner, so me and a pal tought it would be brilliant to try a few tricks in the garage. Needless to say, I'm too old for a skateboard now as well........ouch.

@ekster: Agreed. I started my reply to chlen, then got pulled into an hour long meeting, and finished the reply without checking to see what was said in between. D'oh!

@chlen: I liked NWA, Public Enemy, and Easy E. Never got into Pac or Biggie. Not my thing. We listened to a lot of Nas back then too. Illmatic was the shit.
--

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to chlen

said by chlen:

most of all... I miss Rage, Nirvana and Sublime... (and SRV)

Nirvana was what I loved in early high school. But I didn't get all depressed or conspiracy theory crazy when he died. I do have a book of writings by him that someone got me many moons ago. I thought he was brilliantly simple in his music. Felt badly for Francis Bean losing dad, though.

Rage was cool, but got played out by people I knew. Sometimes music does that depending on demographics.

With Sublime, I was more upset for who he left behind than the loss of the new music potential. The old stuff is still there, and can be listened to, but he won't be there for his family ever again. His music paled in comparison to Kurt's, IMO.
--

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
Bellevue, NE
reply to Kristopher

I had a lot of fun wearing a wu-tang shirt on Monday and an Avail shirt Tuesday.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

said by ProtusMose:

I had a lot of fun wearing a wu-tang shirt on Monday and an Avail shirt Tuesday.

That makes me think... I think I'd love to get me or make me sort of a "Thank God It's Monday' NOFX t-shirt

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

said by ekster:

said by ProtusMose:

That makes me think... I think I'd love to get me or make me sort of a "Thank God It's Monday' NOFX t-shirt

I'm surprised it's not for sale already. While Fat Mike is not a proponent of the mainstream music industry, I'd think a cool t-shirt promotional design wouldn't be out of the picture. Someone should email his ass and tell him to get on the ball.
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC

You know, if someone doesn't beat me to it, I just might. And if not... I'll use my photoshop skills and make a mediocre design myself and get a local store to put it on a shirt.

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA
reply to Kristopher

said by Kristopher:

Yep.

I own CDs by many of the bands you mention. The only vinyl I own are early Green Day*. I also have tapes/CDs by a bunch of obscure bay area punk/indie bands.

I didn't see Op Ivy mentioned, or one of their offspring the Dance Hall Crashers. Both some of my favorites.

*Green Day: the biggest thing to come out of my high school. Although Gino Torretta (football; 1992 Heisman winner) had a chance.
--
flickr gallery | photo blog (rarely updated) | play mafia!

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to ekster

said by ekster:

You know, if someone doesn't beat me to it, I just might. And if not... I'll use my photoshop skills and make a mediocre design myself and get a local store to put it on a shirt.

I'm telling Mike!!!!

@brian: Love Dance Hall Crashers. My Problem is one of my favorites. Operation Ivy is great, but was one of those overplayed ones. Listened to a lot of that in early college.
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC

Telling him to make a TGIM shirt or telling him that I'm making my own?

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

That you're making your own. He'd probably applaud you for it. Then he'd sue your ass. :P
--

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

That was meant to be funny. The tongue sticking out thing at the end implied seriousness.
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
reply to Kristopher

I don't know... I think he'd just applaud me then ask me for a copy so they could print it themselves

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

Then he'd ask if you could take over singing for Me First, and you'd go on tour and have an awesome time!
--