join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria
kudos:4
reply to brian

Re: OT - Punk ish Music From the Past

said by brian:

said by Kristopher:

(youtube clip)

That fits into to what I won't tolerate.

I knew I could find it.
--
Play DSLr Mafia: »Pub Games

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to Kristopher
I'm the jack of all trades, master of none. I play guitar okay, bass pretty well, and drums and piano poorly. Since some of this is punk, I will declare this on-topic

My guitar work - Covers:
»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/soun···lack.mp3

»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/soun···orld.mp3 - The Queers - Fuck the world - man I hate that amp setting. Sounds really good live, there's some really weird tremolo that comes through recording when recording straight out.

»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/soun···boat.mp3 - added a new bass line and guitars, and, um, vocals? I firmly believe this is an improvement even with the screwups.

»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/audi···phis.mp3 - Norma Jean - Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste - This was my "audition" for a band that was getting started on Craigslist to be their bass player. They liked the sound, but I guess it was weird with a 29 year old trying to get in a band with a bunch of 17 year old drop-outs so it never went anywhere.

Originals:
»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/soun···vast.mp3 - I was screwing around on the piano and found a hook I liked so I started recording and making crap up on the fly. I was also having problems with Avast antivirus, so that became the name of hte song.

»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/soun···tion.mp3 - yock See Profile used the phrase "Accessing Voodoo Witchery for additional amplification" in a post and it inspired me to sit down and write a song just so I could use that as the title. Two weeks later, I realized it was totally a rip off of Ghoti Hook. :\

»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/audi···etal.mp3 - Unicorns are metal too. Possibly my favorite song title. Also still a work in progress.

»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/soun···mark.mp3 - meh, it's kind of blues?

»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/soun···beta.mp3 - another make it up as I went

»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/sounds/rwk.mp3 - I still love this one. I need to add the original drums back in and re-record
--
Blogsaus "Everyone bows to something. Everyone answers to someone. Wherever your treasure lies, there your heart will be also.

Who do you belong to? " - Andrew Schwab

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA

2 recommendations

reply to Kristopher
Meh, meh, meh, clash++ , and meh.

Bunch of Skate bands, and get off my lawn.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to ProtusMose
As my boss often says via email, comments below:

said by ProtusMose:

I'm the jack of all trades, master of none. I play guitar okay, bass pretty well, and drums and piano poorly. Since some of this is punk, I will declare this on-topic
Topic has been destroyed via genre pretty well already. It is open season at this point. Taking comments below way too literally.

My guitar work - Covers:
»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/soun···lack.mp3
First slow chord made me think Green Grass and High Tides by the Outlaws. I thought I'd never forgive you for not coming through, but some midget in a school boy outfit beat me until I changed my mind. I also may be drinking beer. So in short, nice.

»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/soun···orld.mp3 - The Queers - Fuck the world - man I hate that amp setting. Sounds really good live, there's some really weird tremolo that comes through recording when recording straight out.
Sounded fine to me. When listening to a recording of someone outside studio, your ears automatically adjust. Sometimes.

»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/soun···boat.mp3 - added a new bass line and guitars, and, um, vocals? I firmly believe this is an improvement even with the screwups.
I am in permagrin over you mixing with this.

»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/audi···phis.mp3 - Norma Jean - Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste - This was my "audition" for a band that was getting started on Craigslist to be their bass player. They liked the sound, but I guess it was weird with a 29 year old trying to get in a band with a bunch of 17 year old drop-outs so it never went anywhere.
I'm not into the sound myself based on the cover, but you should not be selling yourself short. You have more talent than most people who claim ability at this.

Originals:
»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/soun···vast.mp3 - I was screwing around on the piano and found a hook I liked so I started recording and making crap up on the fly. I was also having problems with Avast antivirus, so that became the name of hte song.
It's not a bad hook. That's how most songs of the genre we've been focusing on start; and end. I liked it.

»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/soun···tion.mp3 - yock See Profile used the phrase "Accessing Voodoo Witchery for additional amplification" in a post and it inspired me to sit down and write a song just so I could use that as the title. Two weeks later, I realized it was totally a rip off of Ghoti Hook. :\
I always wondered how sucky it would be to come up with something you love, and then realize that it sounded similar to another song. Vanilla Ice had the blessing of ignorance, but now all musicians are so lucy.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pab9IhCuBDA

Really, it's not that similar. And if I'm picking the incorrect comparison, then I blame the fact that I'm deaf (I'm not deaf).

»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/audi···etal.mp3 - Unicorns are metal too. Possibly my favorite song title. Also still a work in progress.
Parts of it sounded a bit like Mega Man 2, which fits with the metal part. Just in the beginning, though. The rest was more anthem'ish. I liked it for it's foundation aspects.

»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/soun···mark.mp3 - meh, it's kind of blues?
Has a bluesy beginning, then transitions. Nice short riff.

»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/soun···beta.mp3 - another make it up as I went
Has an out on the plains type of feel to it. Cowboyish? I like it, personally.

»www.protusmose.com/tehmedia/sounds/rwk.mp3 - I still love this one. I need to add the original drums back in and re-record
The changes seem a bit off, but I think that's the rhythm you were going for. The solo piece is pretty high pitched, but overall I like the sound.

--

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to Gomez
said by Gomez:

As I said before, how many people are out there with large black ink tattoos covering up their home made black flag ones.

I was friends with all you older fellas back then. I was the skate punk, but helped transition y'all to the next generation.
--

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to Kristopher
The correct ripped-off song is

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz7q-4cEkW0

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY
reply to Kristopher
Man this thread really delivers... I've been watching videos all morning.

I gotta admit the hardest I ever moshed was at Murphys show. The play this area at least 5-10 times a year, often free at fairs and random festivals. I have beaten the shit out of myself and others at their shows.

Love it, love raw power and decadence.
--
This is not the greatest post in the world, no, this is just a tribute!

-

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

reply to Kristopher
said by Kristopher:

said by Gomez:

[att=1]

As I said before, how many people are out there with large black ink tattoos covering up their home made black flag ones.

I was friends with all you older fellas back then. I was the skate punk, but helped transition y'all to the next generation.

Yeah.. we grew up.. Yea, your little Skate bands were cute, and I have a stack of NOFX CDs which I'll never listen to again, although I respect them for their anti-big-label thing. You see, your skate bands abandoned the anti-establishment, and started taking political sides, and became very boring in their view. Clash: "Know your rights" - anti-establishment.. Green Day: "Holiday".. taking sides. Skate away, I don't want your politics in my music.. NOFX, far worse.. not interested.

Pained when offspring did it, but I can give them one cry of angst, as their music has matured.. The skate kids hate everything since "Ignition", i find each a bit better and more creative. Same with the newest social D... it's actually fairly rich.

P.S. Chlen.. Love DKM.

And get, again, get off my lawn.
--
It's a fact : Chicks dig Mafia players.
'Wanna help buy a goat?' - »www.kiva.org

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
It's just a generational thing. We were full of idealism too, and our little skate bands encompassed it. Back then, I had an idea about politics, but only in the sense that if something seemed wrong, regardless of the deeper workings of it, I was against it. Ignorant side taking is the purest form of innocent choice, and maybe it's the morally correct choice, if not the sustainable one. I agree with Churchill; If you are 20 and not a liberal you have no heart, if you are 30 and not a conservative you have no brain.

In short, your anti-establishment was just a different way of expressing your idealism than the more specific lyrics in our gens music. I can see the appeal of something that is more vague in order to appeal to a larger audience base, and for a longer time; but I can still listen to my old music for the sound, even if I no longer completely agree with the message.

Totally agree that NOFX kicked ass sticking with their message against the pig ass music industry, though.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWvIqZL0wNQ

--

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

said by Kristopher:

It's just a generational thing. We were full of idealism too, and our little skate bands encompassed it. Back then, I had an idea about politics, but only in the sense that if something seemed wrong, regardless of the deeper workings of it, I was against it. Ignorant side taking is the purest form of innocent choice, and maybe it's the morally correct choice, if not the sustainable one. I agree with Churchill; If you are 20 and not a liberal you have no heart, if you are 30 and not a conservative you have no brain.

Turning into an interesting discussion point.

I don't think it's a generational thing. As much as I would like to the baby boomers invented angst, we didn't. it's been there through the history of music.

The post BBs (the 80s kids), weren't satisfied with what was there, so they reinvented it, and made it their own.. their recent history was disco, and stadium rock, not much to go on other than a few gems. The reinvention later moved to grunge and hard core rap (90s) as there was no central ground with the majority of stuff in the 80s..

But idealism, the angst, the political slants have always been there.
--

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA
said by Gomez:

this is truth.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to Gomez
said by Gomez:

Agreed, but generationally they've been expressed in different ways.
--

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
This generation it's expressed by apathy.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
said by drew:

To be followed by the next generations attitude of acceptance.
--

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA
reply to Kristopher
said by Kristopher:

said by Gomez:

Agreed, but generationally they've been expressed in different ways.

Expressed by prevalence of political correctness in the society. The idealists and the truly angry don't care.. Those pushing opinions do. But they all have to worry about getting contracts and selling records.

Thus the really weak stuff we see today. If you don't meet modern PC standards, contracts and distribution is a bitch. Epitaph is the last man standing in that regard, else self produce.

The outliers of the generation probably didn't want to change, they had no option.
--

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA
reply to drew
said by drew:

No worries.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcOpZhQ7MEM

Dashboard confessional will find their way.
--

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=otZ1SfwbE64&ob=av2e

Always loved this video... good song too